iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wolf trees

Started by Peacock, October 17, 2013, 04:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peacock

Ok, was recently reading the old oak thread and saw mention of creating a wolf tree thread....so here goes.  I've got a few more than this, but here is a grand old sugar maple.  Over 3.5' dbh and has a massive crown.

Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

terry f

Been dropping the lodgepole wolfs, but I've been pruning the ponderosa, and the growth is crazy. Seems they get the best of everything needed to grow.

grweldon

Quote from: Peacock on October 17, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
Ok, was recently reading the old oak thread and saw mention of creating a wolf tree thread....so here goes.  I've got a few more than this, but here is a grand old sugar maple.  Over 3.5' dbh and has a massive crown.

Wow!  That's pretty stately!  Look at the burls!  I'd be tempted to mill that one!  I have zero maples on my property!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Peacock

Quote from: grweldon on October 18, 2013, 08:21:14 AM
Quote from: Peacock on October 17, 2013, 04:36:26 PM

Wow!  That's pretty stately!  Look at the burls!  I'd be tempted to mill that one!  I have zero maples on my property!

Yes it is quite 'burly'!  Haha

Have an old fence row that runs thru the woods.  Lots of old mature sugar maples there.  Will try to get some more pics up.  Have an old oak at another spot.
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Ron Wenrich

I cruised a tract of timber that had a couple of age classes in it.  Some of the tulip poplar were quite a bit larger than the others and had poorer form.  I asked the owner, who was in his 70s if it was ever a pasture.  Sure enough, it was a pasture when he was a kid, and those were shade trees for the cattle.

Another time I was walking with a landowner and came across a 60" chestnut oak.  The largest tree in the stand.  I asked if it was an interior property corner.  It was. 

Wolf trees a usually there for a reason.  It gives you clues to past practices on the land.  Some are there because they are close to property lines, some because they're a poor species and the last guy didn't want to cut it, or it has metal.  Always fun to figure out why they're there, even if you aren't right.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Al_Smith

At one time it was said a squirrel come tranverse the tree tops fom lake Erie to the Ohio river and never touch the ground .In areas of northern Ohio when the land was cleared there still to this day standing amidst the corn fields large old oaks .They were left there on purpose as a place to rest the horses working the fields in the hot summer sun .I'd well imagine many a farmer got a nap or two also under a friendly old oak .

SwampDonkey

Up here in the north is was the American Elm left to stand in the middle of fields and along creeks and run offs in cow pastures. There are still a few old elm that escaped the dutch elm disease.

Many (not most) woodlots around here that had old narly white pine or hemlock, let them stand to because many were no log material. Many of the hemlock had been harvested for tannin, the quality were made into lumber. Most left to rot. On many landings on woodlots to this day a pile of hemlock logs is usually left behind to rot. Especially if there was no load and markets being a ways off. Don't pay to haul 4 cords 80 miles. Worth less than firewood. Where I live most hemlock are scattered or solitary. There are a few down the road growing in the hardwood on a hillside along the creek. They are taller than hardwood. Many 40+ inches.

32" largetooth aspen

36" northern white cedar

I think it was hollow in the but where a porcupine made it's home. There was no hole in the trunk, but I think it was going under the root ball, as it was raised some with a crawl space. Seen quills on the ground there. The top was blown out. The tree was very much alive though. Cedar are tough. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peacock

Have this oak that grows on the edge of the woods.  Not sure what type of oak it even is.  No acorns that I can find.  Looks like English or Durand to me.  Maybe just white?  It is 42"dbh.

Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

grweldon

Knarly looking tree there!  Not really an expert on tree ID but it may be a chestnut oak...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mesquite buckeye

White oak group. Possibly and old gnarly bur oak. They are colonizers in old fields.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Even MO Trees. Honey locust wolf tree at the forest edge. About 48" DBH. Maybe 6' above and below.

SPIKER

Man that is one Narly tree fitting for October!  lol

Not sure if I have any of the narly lookers on my place.    One of my old oaks died last year, still solid as a rock and probably 5'+ at the base.   No way I can cut it with my saw or move it once it is cut...   Would have to rent a 48" saw and then quarter it to take to the mill...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

It ate a fence. ;D 8) 8) 8)

SwampDonkey

Mark, it's interesting how that oak healed around those dead limbs. Never seen a hardwood make a swelling like that to protrude out the trunk. They were pretty big limbs.

The largest ironwood O. virginiana I ever saw was growing on a fence line down in the woods out of a rock pile. It had a huge trunk for a tree that rarely gets bigger than 8" as an understory tree. It was really limby to and not a dead branch. Narly old brute. Been there since early settlement I suspect. :D This area was only settled since the 1840 or 60's when the rail went through.

I have a big old yellow birch on the lot, that has a nice but log and no dead limbs. I'll never cut it, like to see a big old tree here and there. The yellow gold bark is long gone on the but of the trunk, you have to look up into the limbs to see the yellow bark. ;D

Peacock

The old oak has indeed tried to heal over the dead limbs.  Appears to still be making wood at a good rate. 

I will try to get back out into the woods this weekend for some more of the other TOUS's(Trees of unusual size) we have.

No fire swamps here, unfortunately.  :)
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Peacock

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 22, 2013, 09:31:59 PM
Even MO Trees. Honey locust wolf tree at the forest edge. About 48" DBH. Maybe 6' above and below.

That's a big honey locust!  Have thorns in big numbers?  Around here the ones that get real big dot produce thorns are aggressively a as the smaller ones do.
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

mesquite buckeye

Not too many thorns anymore. No elephants to push over the big ones. ;D

SwampDonkey

There is actually a variety of honey-locust that does not produce thorns or very few. Same species, just some different genes I guess. ;D

Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis

mesquite buckeye

All too true. But thorniness in many trees declines with maturity as well. I have an extra super nasty one on the farm that is definitely elephant resistant. Interestingly, the stem thorns taper out at about 15 feet. ;D

SwampDonkey

I guess no need to invest in armour above a certain height as elephants, for the most part, can't fly. But be ever watchful of evil flying pigs or cows launched on cowtapults. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8jGqdE2iw

WmFritz

I never get tired of those scenes.  :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Back to wolf trees....  ;)
A couple in my woods..

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Pretty cool.  Old like us. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!