iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member asks: Are there any reliable lightweight saws?

Started by meck, October 17, 2013, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meck

I don't want to start a feud over everybody's favorite saw, but I thought this was the best place to go for this question.  I'm a new member but have been reading this forum for a long time and appreciate the quick and helpful responses that members give.  So here goes.

I use a lightweight saw for my cutting.  I like it because it's less tiring to use on our steep hillsides and the shorter bar (14") is less likely to get hung up in the brush where I'm often working.  Also, I rarely cut anything over 8-10" diameter.  The saw is used several times a week year round and daily during the fall firewood cutting time.

My Stihl O10av just gave up the ghost after 28 years of faithful service, and I'm in the market for something similar.   When I starting internet searching  about Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo brands, I started getting the impression that their lighter weight saws (let's say under 50cc) are more consumer/throwaway items than serious working saws.  I'm also seeing customer complaints about the lighter saws made by these three companies that sound very much like the complaints that come from owners of Poulan, Craftsman, McCulloch, etc.

I want a good, reliable saw that will last for a reasonable period of time if taken care of  (I'm not asking for another twenty-eight years, just something reasonable).  Is there even such a saw?  I would appreciate comments.

Thanks

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Lanternguy

i guess its more a small saw but my MS180 is just a great little saw at only 32cc to do most jobs and its going on 5 years no problem and i even like the tool less bar adjuster since it saves me time as i like to release the tension after using.  My brother's Husk 245 is not bad but the stihl chains seem to be the biggest difference.     
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

qbilder

I don't really have issues with any of my saws. They range from the ms170 up to an 084, including consumer & pro saws alike. All cut well & all are dependable. Keeping sharp chains, oil, and good fuel mix seems to be key to longevity. In a nut shell, it's pretty much about how well you take care of them. My old man has an 025 he bought new back in mid nineties, and it still runs like a champ. That little saw has cut more wood than all of my saws combined. He takes care of it. 
God bless our troops

tolman_paul

Many manufacturers offer both inexpensive consumer grade saws and professional grade saws.  You can get a lightweight sub 50cc saw from Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo, but realize it's going to cost more than double what a consumer grade saw will cost.  But, the pro grade saws are typically both lighter and more powerful for a given engine cc size.

Ed

Oliver1655

I have a Jonsered CS2139T & love it. My brother has a Stihl MS201T & loves it.  The Husqvarna 338XPT & 435/435T recieves lots of favorable reviews.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

chainsaw dog

I ve got a real nice 010.but its in my collection.i bought 2years ago a ms170 an put real bumper spikes an quick chainadjuster on it.  Went threw 4 chains and runs better now than when.brand new. I won t be without one.would ve liked a ms201 but my pockets aren t that deep.
New saws don't have personalities until they're old

ladylake

A Echo CS400 is 13# ready to cut  vs over 15# for 50cc saws, light, well built, handles great, reasonable and reasonable parts, starts great.  Forget the warranty and get a new one off Ebay for about $240, pull the caps and tune and open up the muff a little, you'll have a saw that will cut right with 50+ cc home owner saws.  The only Stihl worth buying under 50cc would be 201 rear handle, cost a lot and from what I've seen it wouldn't cut as fast as the CS400..   Husky 435 and 445 are built cheap.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

stumpjumper83

stihl's 180 is a nice saw, for a little bigger light saw the husky 346 is a dandy.  I have an echo 330t, and its underpowered, rather sluggish of a saw, but it is tiny.  I did see stihl came out with an ms150 now too for chainsaw carvers...

SawTroll

Quote from: Oliver1655 on October 17, 2013, 02:29:35 PM
I have a Jonsered CS2139T & love it. My brother has a Stihl MS201T & loves it.  The Husqvarna 338XPT & 435/435T recieves lots of favorable reviews.

A top-handle saw doesn't sound like it is what he needs! 
Information collector.

SawTroll

I see several references to MS170/180 in the above posts, but those are low quality/low price items, that likely isn't what he needs.....
Information collector.

sprucebunny

Love my MS192. Starts easy and oils well.
My MS180s didn't oil well. 192 has a little more power and is more reliable.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SawTroll

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 17, 2013, 05:15:51 PM
Love my MS192. Starts easy and oils well.
My MS180s didn't oil well. 192 has a little more power and is more reliable.

Still a low quality consumer saw though....
Information collector.

beenthere

QuoteStill a low quality consumer saw though....

Would anybody want to, or need to, hear a comment like that? 
Not too polite, and it is just an opinion. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

Troll is telling the truth, nothing wrong with that. If you had a 170 apart you'd see the lack of quality.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: stumpjumper83 on October 17, 2013, 02:57:07 PM
stihl's 180 is a nice saw, for a little bigger light saw the husky 346 is a dandy.  I have an echo 330t, and its underpowered, rather sluggish of a saw, but it is tiny.  I did see stihl came out with an ms150 now too for chainsaw carvers...

If you want to almost double the power open the muff some , pull the limiter cap and tune right..  As they come tuned lean with a clogged up muff they are doggy.  There's a vid on youtube of a Cs330t cutting real close to a 200t Stihl. 

Caloren

Yep, the MS170 is just a consumer saw, but I have been using one since 2006 and the only parts I've replaced are from when I accidentally stepped on it,  :-[ other than the two bars I wore out from using it to cut brush and such in the dirt! I've cut trees 12" in diameter with it, just because I was to lazy to walk down the hill and get a bigger saw. [don't really recommend it though]  ::) It is so light and handy that I seem to use it more than any of my other saws, of course not when we have larger trees to cut. It may not last as long as a pro saw, but it has done me well for the last 7 years.
Reliable? I believe so, at least it has been so far. Would I buy another one? Sure thing. 8)
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

ladylake

Some of those lower model Stihls might run good for a while, some don't. No matter they are built cheap and rather gutless but they are light.   Steve

Lanternguy

Quote from: ladylake on October 17, 2013, 08:09:40 PM

Some of those lower model Stihls might run good for a while, some don't. No matter they are built cheap and rather gutless but they are light.   Steve

If 5 years of reglair use and no issues means cheap saw then consumers have it pretty good i'd say.  Its light and reliable and my wife uses to cut the peices under 12", she loves that saw i know its not a pro saw but the question is any good small reliable saws available and i say here is an example but i agree allot more good pro models available
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

Al_Smith

It's a matter of preferance  I suppose .For an older light weight small displacement saw I have an 024 Stihl .It doesn't have quite the power of an 026/Ms 260 but for 42 cc's it does very well .

It's about as light as a feather plus every so often I have to dump some gas out because it doesn't seem to use any --I also tell tale tales every so often . ;)

JohnG28

The little Husky 142 I have is the first saw I ever bought. $200 new and has never had an issue . Light as could be, uses almost no gas and always reliable. Not a screamer but no slouch for 40cc IMO. It has got plenty of use even since buying larger saws.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sawguy21

Quote from: SawTroll on October 17, 2013, 04:35:14 PM
Quote from: Oliver1655 on October 17, 2013, 02:29:35 PM

A top-handle saw doesn't sound like it is what he needs!
I don't recommend a top handle for the occasional user, they are arborist climbing saws. The risk of kickback is too high as people tend to use them one handed. The MS192 would likely meet the OP's needs, super light and decent performance,  although I would spend a few more bucks on a small Echo if I were buying new (which I won't). My Husky 35 does everything I need to cut for the moment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Philbert

I like my Echo CS400. I got it with the 16" bar from a servicing dealer for the same price as at Home Depot (they sell it with an 18" bar which I think is too long).

Also a nice saw to compliment a larger one.

Light. Well balanced. Happy with how it runs with a sharp chain, without any mods. Only have a few tanks through it but very happy so far. Comes with a 5 year warranty, for what it is worth.

Philbert

kevin19343

I have a Stihl 020T for the small stuff. They don't make them anymore and the old ones ain't cheap, but it's a {language edited by administration} nice saw if you can find one. .

Thank You Sponsors!