iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transplanting White Pine tree?

Started by WhitePines, October 16, 2013, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePines

There is a White Pine tree in my yard. I'm guessing its about 15 feet tall. its growing near some power lines and as it grows it will most likely hit them. Hubby wants to chop it down. I know that it will need to be removed but I'd rather not have it chopped down. Its a beautiful tree, very bushy and green and it grows VERY fast, a whole lot faster then any of our other pines which makes me want to keep it because I love tall pines. My question is can I transplant this tree? I am fully aware of the labor and time it will take but can it be done? If so I'd love some little insight on how deep to dig and how far should I go from the tree as far as width goes, also would this time of year be a good time to transplant?

Thanks!

Dave Shepard

White pines transplant very well. The rule of thumb is 10" for every inch caliper, which is 12" above the root crown. I'm guessing your tree may be 4" to 5" caliper at that height. You can get away with a smaller root ball. I've dug, with a machine, hundreds of pine that size and put them in 32" to 36" baskets. The root ball on this size tree will weigh 3-400 pounds.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

A tree that size can be transplanted, but it should be done with a professional tree transplanting spade. The machine digs the hole first, then moves to your tree, digs it out, then moves the tree to the hole it dug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdl83ceVJeg
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

That looks like a Red Boss (painted yellow  :D ). That is similar to one of the skid spades I used to use.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WhitePines

Thank you both. That tool looks great. It makes moving the tree look so easy.
Just one more question, can the tree be dug out using a regular shovel?

Dave Shepard

You can hand dig trees, very common for stuff that won't fit into a tree spade. The biggest hurdle you are going to have is to move the B&B (balled and burlaped) tree. You will probably need a small tractor with a loader, or a specially made ball cart, which looks like an over-sized hand truck.

The first step to hand digging is to tie up the branches so you can access the bottom of the tree. Then you need to dig a trench around the tree about the diameter of the rootball you want to create. Then you need to use loppers or a hand saw to clean up any roots coming out of the root ball. Depending on your soil, and how far you want to move it, you will probably want to wrap the root ball with burlap, and then tie up the ball with twine in a series of wraps around the trunk then down and around the root ball and back to the trunk. I'm sure there must be videos of how this is done on YouTube.

beenthere

Quotecan the tree be dug out using a regular shovel?

Much like Dave said...  ;D
Yes it can, but the shovel should be a spade with a very sharp edge maintained for cutting roots.
It's a lot of careful work to dig a trench around the tree, and carefully cut the roots without disturbing the root ball (best in the early spring right after frost is out of the ground and soil moisture is high, but not mud). I spent a spring working at a nursery digging and balling 3-4" maple trees. If a root is not cut cleanly with a sharp spade or limb loppers, the root ball will crack open and cannot get the ball wrapped tightly with burlap to hold it together for moving. 
When the root ball is wrapped tightly with burlap and wire to hold the soil together, the tree can be moved.

If less than that wrapping, you run the risk of losing a lot of very small but important root hairs and small roots that are feeding the tree and it stands less of a chance of surviving. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

Use the tree spade I had 13 pines put in my yard saved my old back a lot of pane. but make sure you keep dirt on top of the burlap or the root ball might dry out  :snowball: 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

If you've got a place you want to transplant it I would call up a local tree service and see how much they would charge. If you're wanting it moved but on the same piece of property I can't see the whole process taking more than an hour.  With the shovel...hours and hours plus time at the chiropractor!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SPIKER

I agree with the others, the tree would be better off and your back, have tree service move it.   Next option is to call rental people find out if any of them rent bobcat with the attachment like Jeff posted above in the video.

Decide where you want the tree to go.   Then dig an estimated hole larger than the root ball but NOT DEEPER, (may have to adjust once the tree is coming out.)   Loosening up the soil in the bottom of the root ball empty hole and prep it for the tree, even water hole good so soil is moist for tree to set into.

LAST option is to hand dig it out.   Be sure to wrap the trunk with something to pad the trunk in case it gets bumped by stray shovel.   Keep branches up out of way as already mentioned using soft twine or some moving blankets tied snugly to hold the branches up out of the way.    May even want to water the tree well for a few days prior to starting.   This so it is moist and bit more flexible, white pine branches can snap pretty easy but do bend a lot as long as it is slow bend.   It will make digging a bit easier too and add moisture to the tree to help it during move.

Other option is you can use Garden HOSE (not pressure washer) and one of the long metal rod/wands that directs higher pressure spray/stream of water around base of tree to wash out dirt.   Staying away from the very base of the tree, out 3 or so feet for a tree that size is where I would start.   Then you can cleanly cut the roots and use cable or spades to get under the tree.   note that the water will make it a bit messy but all depends on your soil condition where ever you are at.

When moving you can't wrap a cable or strap around the tree and try to drag it in any way it will kill it by damaging the bark.   REPEAT DO NOT wrap chain or cable/strap around tree trunk to drag or move it...   Some to stabilize it to bucket is ok but not wrapped tightly around it.

You can cut under the tree roots using a cable once you have it dug down deep enough and then use the cable to saw under the root ball.  A Front End Loader on tractor, Bobcat or similar can then get under it & pop it rest of way out.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

routestep

I like white pine, however...

I'd cut it down about Dec 15th and bring it inside.

With the money I saved I'd buy some two year old seedlings and plant them in the yard. Save my back, time, and cash.

Jeff

White pines do not make a very attractive Christmas tree.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!