iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

562 prob solved...i hope

Started by MEloggah, October 16, 2013, 01:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEloggah

i went to my local dealer a month ago to add another lughter weight choppin saw to the fleet. they didnt have any 562s and werent getting anymore from husky untill they solved the issue. the gasket was leaking bar/chain oil into the crank case and cookin them. they called and said they just recieved 10 from husky with the correct gasket. gona pick it up tonight and cut a few tractor traileloads the next few days see how she goes...fingers crossed..

meanwhile my other one is getting split and the right gasket installed before it fails. i know of 4 that have..

nmurph

I don't think it was the gasket that was the problem but rather the case bolts were backing out. H updated the 562 case bolts by replacing them with the case bolts from a 357...and it was done pretty early on in production.

SawTroll

Quote from: nmurph on October 16, 2013, 09:40:44 PM
I don't think it was the gasket that was the problem but rather the case bolts were backing out. H updated the 562 case bolts by replacing them with the case bolts from a 357...and it was done pretty early on in production.

I agree, but wasn't it the cylinder bolts from the 357xp? My memory may of course be off..... ;D
Information collector.

nmurph

Quote from: SawTroll on October 16, 2013, 09:54:02 PM

Wasn't it the cylinder bolts from the 357xp? My memory may of course be off..... ;D

That may be right as it was my first thought. You know you first instinct is more likely than not to be the correct choice!!

SawTroll

Quote from: nmurph on October 16, 2013, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on October 16, 2013, 09:54:02 PM

Wasn't it the cylinder bolts from the 357xp? My memory may of course be off..... ;D

That may be right as it was my first thought. You know you first instinct is more likely than not to be the correct choice!!

True, and I checked the SB in the meantime - it was (is really) the 357xp cylinder bolts, that apparently provides more friction than the bolts originally used.  ;D
Information collector.

MEloggah

well that could be also but it WAS also a gasket issue. they had about a dozen they were replacing. pretty sig diff in the two gaskets frpm the orig to the new ones husky sent them

SawTroll

Quote from: MEloggah on October 16, 2013, 10:17:11 PM
well that could be also but it WAS also a gasket issue. they had about a dozen they were replacing. pretty sig diff in the two gaskets frpm the orig to the new ones husky sent them

Surely, as loose bolts caused damage to the gasket, or at least it could have done so.  ;)
Information collector.

nmurph

I haven't seen any service bulletins regarding replacement of the case gasket with an updated version (as there would be), but there is one for the change to the case bolts that are used.

SawTroll

Quote from: nmurph on October 17, 2013, 07:52:41 AM

I haven't seen any service bulletins regarding replacement of the case gasket with an updated version (as there would be), but there is one for the change to the case bolts that are used.

True, as far as I know - but I don't always know it all...... ;D.
Information collector.

nmurph

Quote from: SawTroll on October 17, 2013, 04:13:42 PM

True, as far as I know - but I don't always know it all...... ;D.

Stop being so modest!!!

Joe Kidd

Some of the earlier bolts failed to have the black oxide coating which imparted much more friction than the slick ones. I've not seen a gasket TSB.
Husq 545
Husq 562XP
Jred 2188

MEloggah

well....all i can say is ehat my dealer showed me.  we have bought all our saws thee for the ladt 30 yrs and they have always been good to us and seem to know what they are doing. i really like the favt that they freeze all their saws. in any event hopfully we are good to go. cut a load of hemlock today. no hiccups.

SawTroll

If the gaskets were defective on a limited batch of saws (or suspected to be so), I guess there could be a "callback" on those saws, without it resulting in a SB....
Information collector.

thecfarm

MEloggah,I forgot what part of Maine you are from. What dealer are you using?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nmurph

Quote from: MEloggah on October 17, 2013, 06:11:35 PM
well....all i can say is ehat my dealer showed me.  we have bought all our saws thee for the ladt 30 yrs and they have always been good to us and seem to know what they are doing. i really like the favt that they freeze all their saws. in any event hopfully we are good to go. cut a load of hemlock today. no hiccups.

What's different about the "new" case gasket?

What is "freezing" a saw?

nhlogga

Quote from: MEloggah on October 17, 2013, 06:11:35 PM

Your dealer is fantastic. Too bad their top saw tech retired. He taught me alot.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

MEloggah

im in southern oxford county on the nh border.  im assuming u figured out my dealer when i said they freeze them. they freeze alot of stuff actually. chokers, files, hooks, bars etc.

windy ridge is the dealer we have used for long ad i can remember.

beenthere

MEloggah
What is your understanding of the "freeze" treatment?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MEloggah

Joe Kidd

I leave all my OPE's in the shed all winter for a cryogenic soaking.  say_what  To cryo an entire saw is gimmick IMO, however some metal parts MAY benefit. It's very very far from an acceptable practice which leads me to doubt it's effectiveness as a saw treatment.
Husq 545
Husq 562XP
Jred 2188

MEloggah

gpod for you.

im a 5th gen logger and can tell u ive seen a huge diff in the durability of chrirogenic over the ladt 20yrs. i suppose ypur shed doesnt get cold enough hillbilly

Joe Kidd

:laugh: You're probably right!  smiley_beertoast
Husq 545
Husq 562XP
Jred 2188

MEloggah

lol sry the redds apple gettin the best of me . {inappropriate language edited by admins} good >:(

sharkey

This is the first time Ive heard of freezing a saw.  What does this do for it?

chet

My saws git da freeze treatment every winter, weather I or da saws want it.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!