iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chili - what's you recipe

Started by 2manyhobbies, October 15, 2013, 08:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2manyhobbies

It's that time of year when a bowl of hot chili is always good.  It seems that I never make my chili the same twice, but I do stick with the traditional beef, red kidney beans, grilled onions, and chili powder. 

So what's your recipe? 

giant splinter

You are in good company, I have yet to make it the same twice and lost my recipe on top of that, I would like to say that making your own chili powder is one of the keys to great chili. Also the beef is best if cooked in its own pan till very well done and then placed with the sauce and entire contents of the beef pan adding the peppers, onions, capers and chili powder so it blends together stirring every few minuets till they almost blend in with the rest of the works. The beans (cooked separately) should be cooked separate till they get soft and the juice is gone (I use the entire contents of the can) , The tomatoes are the last thing to go in the mix (important) the acidity in the tomatoes will not allow the beans to break down readily so add them at the end. The only thing I can find is the chili powder recipe and you will taste the difference when you use it, I like mine spicy so you need to adjust the mix and amounts according to your taste. get it all into a nice big pot and let it simmer for a few hours till it cooks down to the thickness you prefer.

Chili Powder:
1/2 tbl. sp. Tabasco chipotle sauce. optional
2 tbl. sp. store bought chili powder
2 tbl. sp. ground cumin
2 tbl.sp. mesquite seasoning
2 tbl. sp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic salt

This is enough for a three pounds of cubed round tip beef batch.
The rest is up to you with the large sweet onions,whole peeled tomatoes,jalapenos,bell peppers,capers,dark red kidney beans,black beans,pinto and other beans also ok,garlic cloves,and your other favorite veggies.
I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to all the other recipes that will come forth on this post.
I can only hope that the above makes some degree of sense and that its clear enough to help.
roll with it

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

This has to be done when the wife (Christy) is not around for sure,  it all starts in a cast iron skillet, onions, (fresh garlic), then ground beef, a smig of ground pork and or deer, or all deer, a blend that sounds like the previous, a shake here and there of the pantries offerings.  A little hot, a little sweet, just a little, beans, Oh yea, beans, peppers, the right amount of water, not too much,  then whatever happens after that, I'm not reasponsible, ;D,  then at least three hours to simmer, really, its worth the wait, Oh yea, almost forgot, Cheese! and either rice, or crackers, makes no difference to me,  and maybe a cold one and some October baseball! or college football, now I've got to get ready for another batch ;D   thanks allot 2manyhobbies! 8)
all I need is another excuse :D            david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

I brown the meat with the onions and spices ('shrooms if I have them) then add the tomato paste, whole tomatoes (really add flavor), beans, water and whatever else happens to be in the fridge. Let it simmer, if it gets too thick add water and go back to the Seahawks game. Some shredded cheese, a thick slice of garlic bread and we are good to go.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scgargoyle

Try a little unsweetened chocolate in your chili recipe. You won't taste it, but it adds a richness and smoothness.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Weekend_Sawyer

Folks seem to really enjoy my chilli.
I like a lot of veggies and beans in mine.
In addition to this recipe I have started using my Big Green Egg to smoke the sausages and hamburger before adding them to the recipe.

1 lb ground meat
5 Italian sausages
2 28 oz cans chopped tomatoes
1 whole onion
1 red and 1 green pepper
4 jalapeños
1 stalk of celery
4 to 5 cloves garlic chopped
1 can each, drained of:
   Kidney beans
   Pinto beans
   Black beans (rinsed)
   corn
1/2 cup brown sugar
1  tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
Salt, pepper, cayenne and chili powder to taste.

Add the meat to bubbling tomatoes and veggies, add beans and spices
Simmer at least ½ hour, taste frequently.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mesquite buckeye

Don't forget the chiltepines, dude. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Weekend_Sawyer

Wild chillies don't grow here, they are probably too hot for me anyway.
I stop at jalapeno peppers.  ;D

Chuck White

Sometimes when I make chilli I end up not hungry anymore before it even goes on the table!  ::)

There's an old saying "the cook never goes hungry", and it makes sense.  :)

If you don't taste once in a while, you won't know if it's any good!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I'm making cupboard Chile this afternoon. I'll let you know what I put in it after I see what is in the cupboard. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Don't forget the cornbread.

I follow the recipe on the back of Indian Head Cornmeal.
Very good.

Jon

Jeff

We are having corn chips in lieu of crackers tonight. Fritos scoops to be specific. Also having hotdogs to have chile dogs.  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Piston

Glad this thread was started.  I need to try making chili someday, this will be good reference. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jeff

Mine's done. Simmered for about 3 hours, now cooling enough to eat when Tammy gets home. I'm afraid I didn't keep very good track of what I put in it.  I can tell you various tomato products, kidney beans, ground chuck, lotsa onion, chile powder,salt,pepper, the hunk o' chocolate recommended earlier, a left over boiled potato from a previous meal (mashed into submission for a thickening agent).

pabst79

Give or take 1-5 ingredients,

2lbs of meat ( I use 1 beef 1 venison)
  1 can of chili beans
  1 can of red kidney beans
  1 can black beans (drained)
  1 chopped sweet onion
  1 can sweet corn
  1 can tomato paste
  5 fresh diced tomato or 2 cans of red gold
  1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  1 tablespoon of chili powder
  1 teaspoon of white pepper
  1 can of penn dutchmen mushrooms (my wife doesn't agree)

Its always better as a leftover!! Oh and cornbread as a side is a must!
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Sprucegum

Last time my son invited some friends to our woodlot/campsite he said we were going to have a "whatever chili". You bring whatever your favorite chili ingredient is and throw it in. He made sure he had the basic meat to start but anything goes after that. There was beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, more meat, spices, spices, more spices, peppers.......Dang that was good chili!!

cinnabar

Made clean out the freezer chili yesterday and had it tonight.   
Seasoned ground meat, last of the red and green garden tomatoes, onion, beans, garlic, salt, cumin, left over pork stock, chili powder a couple tabasco peppers. 
When we have steak on the grill, I like to boil steak bones afterward and use the stock in the chili,  gives it a smooth rich taste.
MMM good, with cheese crackers.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't add anything but I'm taking notes. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Piston

Quote from: cinnabar on October 16, 2013, 09:05:13 PM
When we have steak on the grill, I like to boil steak bones afterward and use the stock in the chili,  gives it a smooth rich taste.

Excellent idea. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

ron barnes

I don't have a favorite recipe, I like most all chili.  I was working in NM a couple years ago and a girl made chili the normal way but then added small cubed potatoes to the chili.  I had never had it like that.  Quite nice addition.

woodenboater

you should try adding some shredded cheddar on top of the chill, mmmm good. used to work in a restaurant and I would usually stir it up good all day so it was super thick but not too broken down.

Raider Bill

I like chili over pasta and not to start a ford / Chevy,  green/orange debate but there must be beans in my chili. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Defiantly beans! I just started using white kidney (cannellini) beans. very nice!

giant splinter

I agree that beans are an important ingredient, Having said that I suspect we may be facing a heavy contingency of Texans that may instigate a protest.
Most Texans do not use beans in the real Texas chili they make down there, I understand this and it is great the way they make it Beans or not. Might be that beans don't grow there or might be they already have enough GAS and oil there. Whatever the case may be the Texans have a different way of making chili , Texas beef .... no beans,  Jalapeno cornbread with a chilled Shiner Bock or two on the side and it is all good.
roll with it

Raider Bill

Quote from: giant splinter on October 22, 2013, 12:19:06 PM
I agree that beans are an important ingredient, Having said that I suspect we may be facing a heavy contingency of Texans that may instigate a protest.
Most Texans do not use beans in the real Texas chili they make down there, I understand this and it is great the way they make it Beans or not. Might be that beans don't grow there or might be they already have enough GAS and oil there. Whatever the case may be the Texans have a different way of making chili , Texas beef .... no beans,  Jalapeno cornbread with a chilled Shiner Bock or two on the side and it is all good.

They had beans then too remember Blazing Saddles? ;D

2manyhobbies

Man you guys got some good ideas here!  On my last batch I departed from my traditional red kidney beans (I used some of those), but also added black beans and a few lentils.  My neighbor gave me a couple bananna peppers I grilled with the onions - it turned out pretty good if I do say so. 

I didnt even think of cornbread!  I will have to dig out my cornbread recipe - I like a dense thinner cornbread.  That sounds like a topic all its own.

Brad

Weekend_Sawyer

There's a cornbread thread in here somewhere.  ;D
It's not as much of a debate as the grits issue but there are those that like flat and those that like cake. I'm more of a cake kinda guy.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 24, 2013, 06:45:38 AM
There's a cornbread thread in here somewhere.  ;D
It's not as much of a debate as the grits issue but there are those that like flat and those that like cake. I'm more of a cake kinda guy.

Sweet with a scoop of ice cream on top.

Al_Smith

Every time the weather turns cold Mrs Smith makes a big pot of chili or vegatable soup .Enough to feed 12 people but there are only two of us.It gets better the second -third -fouth time around anyway .

I don't care what that bunch in Texas or New Mexico say you gotsta have beans in Chili or it isn't the same .That other stuff is Coney Island hot dog topping .Beans are a must and they are musical in a round about way .

Spicey is good .Nucliar reactor strength where you burn a hole in your britchs from the after effects is not .Pantaloon flambeau ,nyet .

sawguy21

Karen added some leftover Italian meat balls to tonight's batch. that was some good. Added garlic French loaf and we were happy;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Terry Syd

Bush Chilli from Oz.

When we go hunting, I usually make up a batch of chilli for the guys. I need some meat - goat, pig, roo - what ever is available. The proportions are dependent upon how many mouths there are to feed.

Cube the meat and throw it in a camp oven with some chopped onions to simmer for a couple of hours. Add enough water as it cooks to keep it from burning. When the meat is tender, throw in the kidney beans and 'El Paso' chilli spice mix. I use the large cans of kidney beans and usually have a couple of extra cans on hand, sometimes we get visitors for dinner.

Take extra packets of the 'El Paso'. Most guys like their chilli hot, so I usually throw in 3-4 packets in the camp oven in order to flavour it to taste.

Easy to pack, easy to make, no refrigeration - and it all gets eaten. Makes a great chilli omelette if there is any left over for breakfast.

Magicman

Pat is making the traditional pot-o-chili for tonight.  I chopped the onions, but the other ingredients came from her spice cabinet. 

Nasty weather such as we are having calls for a hot bowl of either soup or chili.    digin1 digin_2

There will not be any Trick or Treaters tonight.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SAnVA

I buy the Ro-tel brand chili-fixins, I usually end up using 2 cans of it in a pot of chili because my pot always grows on me! I start out with 1-1/2 to 2 lbs of fresh ground hamburger, brown it in a deep skillet with lots of onions , fresh finely chopped garlic ( chop it yourself, from cloves) green peppers, and mushrooms. When the hamburger is mostly cooked I then transfer to a large pot and start adding everything else--which usually consists of but not limited to--a can of kidney beans, 2 cans of pinto beans, at least 2 cans of diced tomatoes, a can of hunts tomato sauce , 2 cans of Ro-Tel brand chili fixins, if you like it thicker you can add a can of tomato paste , then salt & pepper to taste and I usually stir in a couple tablespoons or more of sugar. If your grocery store carries the Ro-tel tomato products be sure and try their chili-fixins out ! I also use their cans of tomatoes when I make macaroni salad it puts a little bite in it if you like spicy food!

ancjr

2 lb ground chuck
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 small or one large yellow onion
1 cup Bloemer Chili starter
2 cans tomato paste
2 cans hot diced tomatoes
2 cans hot chili beans
Sriracha to taste (I use about 3-4 tbsp)

Salt and brown the meat.  Drain. Add onions and chili powder.  Sautee until onions are clear.  Dump everything else in, stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a low simmer, stir occasionaly.  20-30 minutes.  Serve by the slice.  I don't like watery chili.  :D

mesquite buckeye

Donde esta las chiltepines?  Yeee Haaaa ;D 8) 8) ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Wudman

About as simple as it comes:

-I use the McCormick pre-packaged seasoning mix; usually the original.
-1 can of tomato sauce
-1 lb of hamburger
-Kidney beans

-simmer for about 30 minutes
-top with cheddar & sour cream

My family loves it.  It's a cheap meal.  I've had people tell me it is the best chili they have ever eaten.  Give it a try.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Weekend_Sawyer

I have been using chipotle chili powder for about a year now and like it a lot.
It's got more of a kick and a smokey flavor to it.

dgdrls

My son found a base recipe and built on it.

1.5 lbs grnd turkey (he added this instead of beef)
2 Gionelli hot sausage patties ground in. (he added this)
1 can tomato sauce. 14 oz
1 can crushed tomatoes 28 oz
1 can Hunts fire roasted tomatoes (he added this)
1 can pinto beans
1 Tsp cumin,
1 Tsp mexican chili powder
1 Tsp grn pepper
1 Tsp pink salt.
1 fresh jalapeno chopped
1 fresh serrano pepper chopped (he added this)

brown the turkey and sausage drain off all the liquid save a tablespoon or two add it back in.

add the rest of the ingredients heat for an hour,
let cool overnight, reheat the next day
touch with Tabasco if you want.

He took a pot the Fire House chili cook-off and took second place.
this was his first pot of chilli  :)

DGDrls

1270d

2 can northern white beans
1 can chicken broth
1 cup chopped jalapeños
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 chicken breast (chopped)

Cook chicken, then put everything in a pot and simmer for 30 min.  Add 1/2 cup of milk before serving.   More japs and cayenne to taste.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: 2manyhobbies on October 15, 2013, 08:36:39 AM
It's that time of year when a bowl of hot chili is always good.  It seems that I never make my chili the same twice, but I do stick with the traditional beef, red kidney beans, grilled onions, and chili powder. 

So what's your recipe?

I don't use a recipe, but my chili always has ground venison, home-grown tomatoes (I process and freeze them fresh), beans (kidney or pinto or black or red, I'm not picky), onions, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and chili powder.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Thawed a package of Pat's Chili for tonight.  MMmmmmmm.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!