iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

regrowth info

Started by ysacres, January 30, 2002, 07:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysacres

Hello

I have a 5 acre patch that got logged. I would like to seed it back .
This has been beat to death here I'm sure.
The cat skinner told me I needed a good fire to regerminate
Can I buy seed or small trees, what's best?

Thanks.

Tom

I will probably not be the one to give you an answer but I've heard the fellows ask for more information before, so I'll step in and do that now to maybe help you get a quicker answer.

They will want to know things like:

Where is the 5 acres?
what is the typography?
what was growing on it?
what do you want to grow on it?
Is this a lumber or firewood or beautification venture?
what is the desired use of the land, recreation, wildlife, etc.
Do you want to do it yourself or hire it out?

timberbeast

Hey,  ysacres,  fancy meetin' you here! :D
Where the heck is my axe???

ysacres

Hey Timberbeast.
thanks for the heads up tom.

The land in question is in the SE corner of WA state, close to Moscow ID.
What the map calls,  The big Almota canyon. A very steep canyon
there were 75 bull pine & 35 yellow pine.I guess I would go back with the native species.
There are not many patches of pines on the WA side of the fence, so I"m trying to save the site for regrowth, (beautification + wildlife) and would be able to do the work myself.

The loggers are high lineing  across the canyon because there's a 10 inch trout down in the creek. Has to be a mile of cable, and over 1000 ft elevation drop.

After watching this, and BS'in with the sawzers and skinners,I have aquired a new admiration for you all's line of work.

ysacres

I scrolled back a few pages and found some good info on when to, where to, and how to plant, but nothing on where I can buy some sap's
Also learned that I should be talking to a forester about my situation.
I'll go over to the University of Idaho, dept of forestry next time I need tobacco. $ 8.00 a can here in WA. We have the highest tobacco tax in the US. OUCH!!!

timberbeast

ysacres,  I know Baileys-online.com sells seedlings,  don't know if the price is good,  never buy them myself.  Some states give them away for re-planting.  A forester in your state could answer that question.
Where the heck is my axe???

woodmills1

you can get free seedlings by joining the arbor day society, then buy low priced trees and seedlings from them. i plant there free ones in pots for a few years, then transplant them where i want them.  here in NH the conservation dept of the counties sell seedlings once a year.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Scott

Check with your local county Conservation District Forester. Most sell trees, shrubs, etc. for spring and fall planting. Spring sale catalogs are now going out here in Michigan counties.

Your Conservation District forester can also advise you which species would be best for reforestation of your 5 acres.
~Ron

Tillaway

Hey ysacres,

Are you around Asotin or are you further North?  Give me some more specifics as to where you are.  I have worked in that area years ago and still have lots of friends and relation there.  In that area you will need to know what seed zone you are in and the elevation.  Bend the ear of the local Forest Sevice Siliviculturalst, you might get that info from them or the Washington DNR Forester.  As a rule of thumb for that area, plant the fire tolerant species ie... Ponderosa Pine, Douglas Fir or Western Larch (Tamarack).  In some areas you can plant a mix of all three but P Pine and D Fir mix is the most common providing you have the proper aspect.  If you are planting for timber production, consider a species mix heavy to DF, PP has been over-planted and is becoming hard to sell in small log sizes.  DF is now generally worth more throughout size and grade classes.

Also be aware of Dwarf Mistletoe in the stand prior to planting.  If any trees have it, then it would be a real good idea to cut and remove them prior to planting.  If you don't,  it will infect your plantation.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

ysacres

Tillaway
I'm  down river from Asotin , My farm is on the breaks of the snake river above lower granite dam (Pullman)
When I get old I'm going to retire in Asotin .What a beautiful village.

Thanks for all the help.

Forest service Siliviculturalst ? Try saying that three times.

Tillaway

:'( I miss that part of the world.  I used to work around Walla Walla, Dayton, Pomeroy, Clarkston area.  I didn't get that far north to often.

If you do plant, be sure to use Vexar tubes and stakes on your seedlings.  The Elk just love seedlings and will wipe out your entire plantation over night.  The Vexar will slow them down a bit.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!