iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you could only have one chainsaw (to do it all)?

Started by TheTexasRAT, October 13, 2013, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

I picked mine up cheap a few months back. I made a project out of it and did some work to the engine, so it's a little more than a stocker, but it's a nice little saw. Light as heck with good power for it's size. Definitely watch the muffler bolts, I used some Loctite on mine. Have an 18" b/c in .325 on it and it cuts nice.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Texas Rat , looking back at your original post about one saw for climbing and ground work I can only suggest the Husky 550XP , this saw can do it all.
So when your ready to sell the 350. ............
mines not for sale though :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ianab

What the thread really shows is that there is NO "one size fits all" chainsaw.  :D

If there could be only one, I'd stick with my Dolmar 7900. Smaller saw simply wont do the job on bigger trees. Limbing with it, well you can, not the most practical, but you can. Climbing? Nah... But then I'm not into that.

As for getting an almost free Husky 350? It's a decent firewood sort of saw. Even if you buy a better saw later, keep it. See the recent thread with 2 saws stuck in a log? WHEN you get your new MS 362 stuck, being able to pull out the trusty 350 backup saw will save the day  ;)  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brettl

Even though you've already bought... If I HAD to pick one, Stihl 036 Pro or the older version, the 034 Super. 61.5cc and about 11.5 pounds depending on whose numbers you look at. Negligible difference in power compared to the 390 and supposedly 1.5 lbs. lighter. I'd like to have one myself. It will be my next saw I think. Of course, these are the predecessors to the 360, 361, and 362. I like to find older, lightly used saws because of the price difference. Got my eye on a 034 Super here in town but he wants 300, I can find a good 036 Pro for that.

TheTexasRAT

Sawdusty1 and JohnG28,
I had done some research on this saw and also read the owners manual which all warn about the muffler coming lose. I thought to put blue loctite on the threads but for now I just used star washers and tighten them good and tight. I was thinking of getting a muffler that's exhaust port was in a different location than up top. Once I get the muffler style I prefer I'll loctite it up for sure.

Ianab,
my neighbor also gave me a Homelite XP Little Red Textron (not running), and a Poulan. My dad has a Stihl 390 and a Sears (a.k.a.- Poulan). The Homelite does not run but all the rest do, so I have 4 running saw at my disposal so I'm not worried about needing to cut a saw out. And even if I got all 4 stuck I could simply start removing the power-units from the bars & chains and then simply put on the spare bars and chains to cut my way out. So yes I know what you mean but no sweat as I can use the same saw I get stuck with my spare bar and chain to cut the first bar and chain loose.

Any-who, I got the sprocket ordered and will be able to do some tree cutting next week with it. The trees I plain to cut down have between 12" to 18" trunks, so I the Husqy should be able to far well doing start to finsh. I get back with the results.

cutter88

It would be a bad day if someone said I could only have one saw but it would be a 372 xpg husky I don't climb much at all so it would be perfect
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

gspren

Quote from: brettl on April 04, 2014, 12:37:01 AM
Even though you've already bought... If I HAD to pick one, Stihl 036 Pro or the older version, the 034 Super. 61.5cc and about 11.5 pounds depending on whose numbers you look at. Negligible difference in power compared to the 390 and supposedly 1.5 lbs. lighter. I'd like to have one myself. It will be my next saw I think. Of course, these are the predecessors to the 360, 361, and 362. I like to find older, lightly used saws because of the price difference. Got my eye on a 034 Super here in town but he wants 300, I can find a good 036 Pro here on AS for that.

Reading that last sentence it looks like you forgot which forum you were on.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

schmeg

I'm on my 5th Husky now. Just bought a 562XP. After running the saw this week, I can't imagine a better we'll rounded choice if you want to keep a stock saw. All kinds of power. Very comfortable and light. This saw with an 18" and a 24" would do about anything you need it to for a 60 class saw.
2023 MS400
2014 562XP
2007 357XP (stolen)
2004 346XP
1997 350
1992 55

Timbercruiser

I would take my favorite saw of all time a 266 husqvarna . Light and better balance than any new saw im sad they ever stopped making this great saw  :)

brettl

Quote from: gspren on April 04, 2014, 08:55:58 AM
Quote from: brettl on April 04, 2014, 12:37:01 AM
Even though you've already bought... If I HAD to pick one, Stihl 036 Pro or the older version, the 034 Super. 61.5cc and about 11.5 pounds depending on whose numbers you look at. Negligible difference in power compared to the 390 and supposedly 1.5 lbs. lighter. I'd like to have one myself. It will be my next saw I think. Of course, these are the predecessors to the 360, 361, and 362. I like to find older, lightly used saws because of the price difference. Got my eye on a 034 Super here in town but he wants 300, I can find a good 036 Pro here on AS for that.

Reading that last sentence it looks like you forgot which forum you were on.

You're right, I did. My apologies to FF members and admins. for the brainfart. No disrespect meant. Thanks for setting me straight gspren.

7sleeper

I liked my Makita 5001=Dolmar 5000 with decompression valve in Makita blue. But now I have a Makita 420 & Oleo Mac 962 combo. If I only had one saw I would take a Dolmar 5105 again.

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: TheTexasRAT on April 04, 2014, 01:59:28 AMso the Husqy (Husqvarna 350) should be able to fare well doing start to finish. I get back with the results.

Well been a while but - the husky 350 was nice, except the carb setting screws would not hold their tune, and I did not like the clutch being in front of the chain (what a pain).

Anyway, so I gave it and all the rest of the saws that where in the barn, except the Stihl MS290, away and bought an MS250 with an 18" bar.

Fell three big trees [35"ers] and cut them up with no problems other than the trunks. Had to double cut the trunks from both sides. Also cut up many smaller trees, it did/does the job well enough.

Will most definitely want to port and muff mode it out one day. And perhaps then it can take a longer bar after doing so as well.

btulloh

You need a bigger saw.  And a pro saw.  figure out a way to get into a MS362, or a 441, or larger.  If you're gonna stick with 50cc, get the MS261.
HM126

realzed

I have had a 290 and liked it - since have purchased a 261 and found a great difference in weight and especially the balance and smoothness over the 290 version.  
I presently have a 20" bar with a .325 RS chain on it and it is pretty decent balance-wise even with the longer bar, but I would imagine with a 16" bar it would feel somewhat like a toy in comparison when it comes to portability in tight spaces.
With that chain and bar I have found it can be buried in pretty much any wood and still cut very decently with a good sharp chain - but it's no 60 or 70cc saw nor was it ever intended to try and be, nor again did I expect it to be.
I guess it could be rodded up some with a muffler or porting job - but 'as is' it is very impressive all things considered!
I don't climb - but with a short bar and its already small tight profile it wouldn't be hard to imagine it would be quite manageable and capable off the ground - certainly a lot better than most comparable saws in its class and the fact that with the CM version being fairly easy to start, it would also contribute to it being a decent choice to have to climb with.
You're certainly asking a lot of any saw to try and step up and do the job really requiring 3 different sizes or classes of saws - but if Stihl has one that could make a decent go at it, my guess would be that the 261cm would be that version, with an alternatively sized bar in reserve..
Just my own opinion - and like buttholes everyone has one, and as always, most everyone else's stinks in other's opinions..
The 250 is a nice little saw - pretty good power and weight, but doesn't have the pro grade build and long lasting quality or rebuildability of a pro series version, but I have heard great things about the way they can and do cut in appropriately sized wood.. and the price certainly is better than a pro grade unit without doubt!  
Almost an impossible decision, considering the limitations or expectations you have imposed upon yourself here though!

Banjo picker

If I had to get rid of all of them but one, I would keep the ms460.  You can run anything from a 20 to a 36 in bar on it. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Air Lad

Of the saw's I now own ms260c
If I were to buy 261 would be it

gspren

My "go to" saw has changed. When I was in my 40s and 50s my Stihl 044 was my most used saw but now in my late 60s the 261 is my most used due to an aging back and shoulders. I still use the 044 when bucking up a 20+ inch oak for fire wood but that 261 is sweet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Banjo picker

The 261 is my go to saw as well, but if I could only have one it would be a little too small for some of my stuff.  I have an ole 044 that needs a spring in the trigger, but that thing makes my hands hurt from all the vibration. I need to give a shout out to the new sponcers and see if they have one. I bought it on a whim...too good a deal to pass up. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

lxskllr

Of saws I own, I guess it would be my 362. It can do 90% of what I need, but for light limbing, it would be uncomfortably heavy. If I bought a single saw, I'd probably get a 261. 50cc seems like a good size for a 'do everything' saw if such a thing exists. IMO, it doesn't. Anyone serious about cutting and does a variety of work should have two at least.

If I get to pick two saws of the ones I own, I could probably do everything with my cs400 and ms362. There's 1%-5% chance I could use something a bit bigger than the 362, but I could make do with that.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm absolutely not a climber but my goto saw is my MS261C-M, I keep it in my truck box and use it quite a lot for the weekend warrior that I am.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

hitter1

used to climb and trim for the power company up here in pa for quite awhile. i used stihl exclusively. i had a small 023 for up in the trees and an 0 34 on the ground . cimb and trim 12 trees min by noon spend next 4 aftr lunch mulchin up all the stuff we cut up . those stihls will take a beatin and keep on eatin!!!!!

Ianab

Only one saw? 
I'll keep my Dolmar 7900. Yeah it's overkill for the small stuff. But you can limb / prune with it, and if you get a ~50" tree, you can cut it. I can see why folks like the 50-60 cc saws if they have smaller trees, But a 30 year old pine here might be ~36", work out what a 70 year old one is.

But i'd still like a nice little 40cc saw for the "gardening" type stuff. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nebraska

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

donbj

Husky 262XP since early 90's. Has done a ton of work and never lets me down. Just came on a 2065 Turbo Jonsered 2000(edit) built, as new condition. I'd say how I got it but I don't think anyone would believe it,lol
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!