iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to fix

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 13, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Minor problem.
My black speed control button broke yesterday.
Now it just spins around.
I don't really want to glue it on but didn't know if y'all new if a parts place sold these or not.
Not really worth calling WM about it since the shipping would probably out weigh the price of the part.
Thanks.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Drill and tap the plastic for a set screw.  Lock-tite it in.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

+1 bout the only sensible way I can think of, might use the same hole and go a size bigger,  If I remember right the initial one is quite small,  if the knob is cracked, this could be a re-occurring issue, might be a good time to make an order for extra belts or other that might come in handy in the event of a mishap.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

Now Poston, when you turn that knob all the way clockwise and it won't go any farther, that's as fast as the head will travel and twisting the knob off don't make it go no faster ;D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on October 13, 2013, 09:46:00 AM
Now Poston, when you turn that knob all the way clockwise and it won't go any farther, that's as fast as the head will travel and twisting the knob off don't make it go no faster ;D

No wonder I sawed 1325 BF in 20 minutes.  :D :D :D

Slingshot

Go to Radio Shack and get you a radio, amplifier knob. They should
be able to match it up.

AnthonyW

Is the knob knurled or is just supposed to be a press fit?  Either way another good source would be allelectronics.com. Low prices on what they have and $7 shipping on 99% of their items (ie., everything except oversized items).
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Slingshot on October 13, 2013, 09:52:28 AM

be able to match it up.

In fact, my son has an amplifier he won't turn down when playing his guitar. I may kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  ;D

Slingshot

Yeah,  turn it way down and put your old knob on it :D

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 13, 2013, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: Slingshot on October 13, 2013, 09:52:28 AM

be able to match it up.

In fact, my son has an amplifier he won't turn down when playing his guitar. I may kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  ;D

COOL!  Than you could turn it up to 11!  You may need a new drummer though. :-\
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Happycamper

If you have an old Lionel Transformer from your electric train set the control knobs look very much like your ill one. You could borrow one.
                                          Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Ga Mtn Man

A good hardware store will have a selection of knobs in the specialty hardware section.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

SPD748

If you can't find a replacement, come on up and I'll machine a new one from aluminum.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on October 13, 2013, 12:04:40 PM
If you can't find a replacement, come on up and I'll machine a new one from aluminum.

-lee

8)  NOW....there's a thought.

I'm headed to Lowe's to see what they have.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I got it fixed!
The knob had a set screw already in the back of it and the threads had messed up. I did not see the set screw because the hole was filled in with dirt , etc.
Took it to Lowe's and a guy there that buys lumber from me, opened a new thread cutter set. He re-threaded the knob and put in a little larger set screw.
Stopped back off at the mill and..... 8) like a brand new one again.

I still make take the knob of my son's amp. though.  ;D

Gotta tell ya....y'all had some good ideas though. Thanks!  smiley_thumbsup

SPD748

Good deal. Now... back to work!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

giant splinter

Just when I came up with a solution David fixes the darn thing, materhead.

Well needle nose vice grip gets in the way of the cover over the control panel anyway. ;D
roll with it

mmartone

Mine has been missing all along, i just turn the stud...
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

AdamT

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 13, 2013, 01:13:53 PM
I got it fixed!
The knob had a set screw already in the back of it and the threads had messed up. I did not see the set screw because the hole was filled in with dirt , etc.

I was going to tell you there's a set screw in it that needs to be tightened up. My 2011 did the same thing a while back and luckily I saw that screw. I thought I would have to turn the stud until I got a new one ordered. And it takes a pretty small screwdriver too!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

bozzaa69

What kind of lumber do sell to Lowe's?

bozzaa69

Or is it just a guy that works there, buys lumber from you?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bozzaa69 on October 13, 2013, 06:15:00 PM
What kind of lumber do sell to Lowe's?

I don't sell to Lowe's. My friend, Jeff, works at Lowe's. He buys lumber from me to build chicken coops out of.
However, Jeff has helped me out a lot. He has referred customers to me that have come into Lowe's for beams or other lumber Lowe's doesn't carry.

clww

I think you need to trade up for an LT70. It's already showing the signs that it's on it's last legs! :D :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SPIKER

Good ya got it fixed, lots of options, take a hunk of branch and drill two small holes one size of stud and one to thread for set screw. ;)   Wooden branch or small burl there would be a neat option lol. :) Heck dry it out real good and drill it to size and let it swell tight in humidity  ???   Someone beat me to the vice grips option   :D 
Radio Shack has them as does a lot of on-line retailers but the AMP option is a great one with the two birds one stone method :D

Glad ya got it fixed.
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!