iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree farmer/gearmatic

Started by GMC-Jim, October 09, 2013, 09:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMC-Jim

Just got a job to fix a tree farmers kidder with gearmatic winch. Brake not holding. Any insight without specifics is hard I realize. It is an older gas powered model. Points ignition and all, lol

John Woodworth

Being gas powered it's probably either a mdl.8 or mdl. 9 and assuming the brake band is ok, not worn out, separated from lining or saturated with brake fluid from the slave cylinder abd the apply spring is not broken there is a tension adjuster on the bottom r/f it is a sleeve type threaded screw assembly with the brk. spring inside it, it is sloted on the bottom for adj. tool. make a tool out of a long 3/4'' bolt, make sure the bolt goes through the hole in thadjuster and weld a tab to it on each side to fit the slots in the adjuster nut, plenty of penetrating oil, maybe some heat as it will be rusted in, clean the threads good and lots of antiseize and you should be able to adjust the brk. band.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

GMC-Jim

Ok the brake band has approx 3/8" thickness. I located a bolt facing up on the bottom rf . Turning it it looks to adjust it. I stated turning it and the eye at the top where the pin from the handle goes in started turning. I held it and turn the adjusting screw until it became hard, didn't seem to help, presuming you tighten the bolt to make it tighter, I apologize for the lack of proper terms, first time working on one of these. So I adjusting did not help what is my next step? Or was my adjustment not proper? You said something about making a tool?

GMC-Jim

Would any numbers help off of the winch or skidder?

treeslayer2003

gearmatic is kinda funny, pics would really help us help you. I think you may have a spring problem. I had that aluminum rod break so I had a steel one made.

HiTech

Could be the master control. I have seen them go bad.

GMC-Jim

Took brake shoe out found the 'brake rod'? Is bent 3 ways. I should've stated earlier winch is pto driven shoe has little less than 1/4" of pad. Lever to engage/disengage the brake.

treeslayer2003

that's your problem then. some one said a place up north carries the steel one, i'll try to find out the name.

treeslayer2003

CJ logging and I was told there are different lengths.

ga jones

All gearmatic service manuals are available online at paccars website.parts are readily available at most skidder shops. Cj. Davco in Farmington me. If its on a c4 it's probably a model 9.make sure the secondary brake levers aren't bent also.there the to bars that mount horizontally to the push rod.(the vertical bar).
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!