iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tring to make a go at it

Started by Tim Lea, October 12, 2013, 07:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPD748

Tim,

Being a new (very small) business, I found a larger, well established local mill who has become my main source of logs. As previously stated, it's a second hand product with a bit of markup in price and I have to haul the logs from his mill to mine however given that I can not unload full size log trailers as of yet, it's the best deal for me, for now. This mill keeps in excess of 250mbf of logs on the yard so my ~1.5mbf loads out are much more of a favor to me than a source of income for the mill owner.

Best of luck to you friend!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Bandmill Bandit

Tim, I was in a rush when I did the add the reply about pricing for logs.

Good luck in your endeavour.
I started in 2007 with an LT40HD28G mostly as a hobby/ "pay for it self toy" operation. Was only planning on sawing for my need and a few friends. Have had an add on Kijiji for about 2 years now that brings me enough to keep the mill paying for it own keep and a bit of pocket money up to about last December.

Then I had the Logo that is now my avatar designed and installed on the rear door windows of my truck for a cost of about $250. Best $250 I ever spent on advertising. I get comments on it pretty much every day and I see people writing down the phone number quite often. I have had guys stop beside me at lights roll down their window and ask my rates.     

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

YellowHammer

I to buy logs from both loggers and sawmills, depending on grade and species. Everybody will charge different prices on the same logs, depending on how hungry they are and how hungry you look.  The more you talk to them, the more you will have an idea on the price range of logs locally.  Also, having several sources of logs is important because the tract of land they are cutting or buying right then may not be the types or species of logs you need at that moment.  But another logger may be in exactly what you need.
I always buy a small trial load first from a new log source just to set a price, see how they do business and if they are reliable.
Good luck
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Vista Prints have cheap business cards.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 13, 2013, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on October 13, 2013, 06:14:23 PM
Vista Prints have cheap business cards.

That's where I get mine.

smiley_thumbsup
Me too, they always seem to be running a good special of some kind or another.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tim Lea

Thanks everyone for the great info. I have business cards out every where around me lol even the post offices in four neighboring towns. And have been thinking of signs on my trucks. My uncle has started hauling logs and he thinks he can work out me some deals on some logs with the loggers he is hauling for from time to time.

thecfarm

Vistaprint's makes magnetic signs too. Seem like $15.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chickenchaser

Tim,

I'm log/logger shopping, as well. We both see trucks wearing out 75 and 117 that makes our mouths water. Well....mine anyway.  :D

If you'd like, I'll PM you my info...we might cross paths and say howdy.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Tim Lea

Ya Chickenchaser shot it to me. We mite be able to help each other out some time.

Tim Lea

Well my hold back wench on the mill striped out to day. So the PineyWood log turner/hold back is being added this week. Add toe rollers, back stops. Will post pics as soon as I get it on and working. Got to luv break downs. I've got signs for my truck being made should be ready tomorrow. I have got a local loger going to sell me some tie logs at a pretty good price. And some popular logs for a customer how is wanting lap siding. So not all bad to day.

Finn1903

Getting good logs I think is one of the biggest challenges for my operation. 
I have a few tree service contacts and getting them free is the only way to go.  So far I have found that a tree service is removing the tree not because it is straight, defect free.  I tried to use an oak log from a tree service for a trailer deck, could not get a 16' board without a soft spot in it.
But the tree service is good for exotic and interesting wood, for example around here I have gotten a few cherry and black walnut. 
Keep handing out cards, and keep your ears open for logs.  A good find is someone who is clearing land.
Good luck.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

woodweasel

Good luck pardner!! Bare down, cowboy up 8) 8)

morgoon

Just wanted to chime in and say good luck.

I am working on my business plan at the moment, so there is some good info in this thread.

Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Tim Lea

Magicman

I am in a different market, but I wish you the best Tim. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

A few years ago I sent out price list to local excavators and construction company's just going out of the yellow pages. I'd get a order out of about 10% of them and still get repeat orders for trailer decking mostly plus some side and outrigger lumber.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice sign Tim. Ya got enough "W"s on that sign to where Woodmizer should send you a box of blades.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

Quote from: kilgrosh on October 13, 2013, 11:42:24 AM
... Thats a good idea, Brucer, to contact large purchasers of logs and see if you can purchase from their inventory. Yes, it is second hand and probably an increase in price, but at least it would be a steady supply.

Just to be clear ...

A Douglas-Fir peeler has to be some multiple of 8'-8" in length (up to 52') because the logs are bucked (automatically) to 8'-6" to fit on the lathe. A long log can have a lot of sweep but it won't matter when the log is bucked to length. The mill doesn't want damaged logs or logs with shake.

My supplier sets aside the straightest logs for log builders, timber framers, and one little sawmill owner (that's me). The logs are marked up about 65% over what the mill pays for them. I pay extra to have them delivered.

I'm not getting second-hand logs. I'll order a truckload (64 m3, or 13,000 BF) three or 4 weeks in advance and the scale operator will set them aside for me as they come in.

Some of my competitors have told me I'm getting ripped off, but I know I'm not. I sawed for a company that bought cheaper logs directly from the loggers, and I worked the numbers. They had a lot more waste, which meant a lot more slabs to dispose of (no burning allowed around here). When you factor in the higher recovery for the premium logs, the cost is exactly the same.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

good logs make good lumber. that's all I buy too. no junk  :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Piston

Quote from: Bandmill
Then I had the Logo that is now my avatar designed and installed on the rear door windows of my truck for a cost of about $250. Best $250 I ever spent on advertising. I get comments on it pretty much every day and I see people writing down the phone number quite often. I have had guys stop beside me at lights roll down their window and ask my rates.     

Where did you get the logo designed? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dave Shepard

The signs look great Tim. Easy to read from a distance and just the important details.

I agree on buying the best log you can afford. You will end up with more usable product that way. No sense buying a cheap log then having a useless byproduct.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tim Lea

Thanks everyone I liked the signs. Wood-Mizer can send me blades any time lol. A friend of mine has a sign shop and he has good prices. And yes bad logs make bad lumber that I have came to see doing some customers logs that myself would have coiled. But they wanted them sawed.

Tim Lea

Been working on the Pineywoods log turner all day got it built. Just like some grinding paint and installing it on the mill. Just put in the order for holes and fittens. Got called back to work. But I'm going to keep ofter the business. I've got two jobs lined up. And hope for for to come.

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Tim Lea on October 21, 2013, 07:01:35 PM
Been working on the Pineywoods log turner all day got it built. Just like some grinding paint and installing it on the mill. Just put in the order for holes and fittens. Got called back to work. But I'm going to keep ofter the business. I've got two jobs lined up. And hope for for to come.

Tim, getting called back to work is a good thing. This will allow you to do this as you can, not as you have to. Good luck bud.

Thank You Sponsors!