iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EAB

Started by exSW, October 12, 2013, 11:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exSW

Since EAB has already wiped out my ash and the Dutch Elm has also done its work what methods work to stop the spread?Apparently nothing but what are the theories?
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

beenthere

A lot of threads in the past here on the forum that a search will give you some good reading material and info.

My take, and just my opinion, is after the EAB dead ash is discovered in a new area, the reaction is to slap a quarantine on that area. But knowledge seems to indicate that when the EAB dead ash is discovered, the belief is that the borer has been there for 3-5 years already. i.e. close the barn door after the horse is gone.
The quarantine system doesn't seem to work very well, but I think it is the best reaction the Gov't can come up with to show that they are proactive.
Have heard some rumblings about a parasite released to combat the borer, but have heard no reports of any success.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skidder Kev

For the EAB the only cure I know of is a injection.  Can't remember what it is called but it is to expensive for a woodlot .    Pretty much what they say here is if u have a ash in your back yard and its not infected yet , treat it till u can get a new tree established and then remove the ash.   

banksiana

It won't be stopped by us.  Some research lately has shown that the larva stage can't survive real extreme cold, so way northern MN may not be hit as hard, or it will take longer, but no, we will not stop this pest.  It will move through traffic corridors first, then outwards from there.  Some of the smarter researchers on the subject are talking about phloem reduction practices and I am embracing these recommendations for my clients right now.   

Al_Smith

There is some type of stingerless wasp that seeks out the EAB larva .How it would attack it remains a good question because the parasite is under the bark .

On the subject it appears in some cases the ash will sprout new growth from the stump about like silver maple .Fact I have several new sprouts that are over 12 feet high from trees I fell about 3 years ago .

Clark

Quote from: banksiana on October 22, 2013, 05:46:16 AM
Some of the smarter researchers on the subject are talking about phloem reduction practices and I am embracing these recommendations for my clients right now.   

In the past 6 months or so they've quit recommending that idea.  They are pushing the idea of thinning to encourage other species (of which there are very few) to replace the ash. There is, I think, better for hope for ash dominated sites post-EAB infection using this method then phloem reduction but the future looks bleak no matter what you try.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!