iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

usda aproved firewood treatment methods

Started by stumpjumper83, October 11, 2013, 11:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpjumper83

Ok, according to pa's dept of ag.  If you want to ship firewood you can do one of the following, kiln dry, heat treat, fumigate, or de-bark.  Im wondering if these standards vary from state to state, or if the usda standardized them.  Due to congressmen not being able to order pizza without arguing, I can't access the usda firewood site.

What do you all do to ship your firewood? 

Local4Fitter

I buy it log length locally. Usually cut within 20 miles of where I live. How far do you ship firewood?
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

stumpjumper83

looking at about 300 miles...  and across 2 states

mesquite buckeye

As long as it doesn't travel through any EAB free territory, it shouldn't be a problem. No?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Leigh Family Farm

Just spit balling here, but I would think that if you kiln dry to a high temp (160+ degrees) you would kill off anything in the wood which would allow you to move it across state lines. As a side note, keep accurate records of each load of that is shipped and how it was treated (kiln, spray, etc.) just in case someone comes back at you.

This shut down is going to be here for a while so I would go to the PA DNR local office for help. They should know how to treat the wood to be shipped to surrounding states.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

My thought is that USDA is not involved, but would instead be the destination state being shipped to that would have any limitations or requirements.
And could be wrong too, but doesn't seem to be a USDA duty.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Axe Handle Hound

I'm wondering why you're shipping firewood across two states?  Don't they have wood over there? 

NWP

If you're in a EAB quarantined area, then it is a USDA regulated deal to move it out of your quarantine.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

stumpjumper83

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on October 13, 2013, 07:49:48 PM
I'm wondering why you're shipping firewood across two states?  Don't they have wood over there?

I'm sure they have trees there too, but they are willing to pay...

Busy Beaver Lumber

Many States have their own rules, such as in Indiana. The DNR is the source of info on such matters. In Indiana, there are even specific tighter restrictions that apply if you ship firewood into state parks, even if those parks are already in EAB infested areas.

When transporting over state lines, you must also comply with USDA rules as well as the rules for the state you are shipping to.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!