iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thanks guys, wedges

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, May 13, 2004, 08:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

I got to thank you guys for the wedge threads and directional felling thread that are in the chainsaw section. I read them with great interest.

After 5 years of running a tree service business, I had never used a wedge. If we had a problem tree, we climbed it and took it out piece by piece or roped it to a truck.

Well I figured I better try these magical wedges and ordered a few from Forestry Supply. But since they hadn't come, I stopped by the Sthil dealer and bought ONE to play around with on a job I was headed to on Wednesday. A last minute thing as I was thinking about this forum.

So a friend of mine had 4 silver maples he wanted out. After some discussion, I figured I could pull them over with his truck. They were all leaning into nieghbors' property (lines, shed, garden).

First one fell, no problem.
Second one I let him tie the rope to his truck, he put it thru the safety chain ears on the hitch.
I cut a nice wedge, and started the back cut. About a 22" trunk where I was cutting. After about 6" I drove the wedge in. Cut some more and drove the wedge. When I got to about a 2" hinge, I hollered for him to start pulling a little more. Well he started pulling too hard, too soon and the rope broke at the edge of the safety chain ear.

That rope snapped back into the tree and the tree sat back maybe 8-10 feet up top. (I love that adreniline) I firmly believe if I hadn't had that wedge in, it would have landed on the neighbor's shed.

That tree sat there for 1/2 hour while we fiddled with the rope and finally dropped it.

The next two went nicely as I was a little wiser. Sorry I forgot the camera, I will take it tomorrow.

I think the forum needs to create an archive section to keep valuable threads intact forever.
thanks. mike
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

chet

Mike we do have such a section. Click on Knowledge Base at the top of the page.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mike_Barcaskey

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Tom

Actually the best Archive is the forum itself. None of the old posts have ever been take off. One day it will have to happen but we have'em all so far. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!