iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skipper and Gilligans Logging Adventure

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 13, 2004, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

The day started out nice enough. Skipper and Gilligan set out with the "Swamp Rat". That's their little 16' scouting boat.

They ran up the St. John's River to the Oklawaha. Turned in to the Oklawaha and immediately found, some real IDIOT had set crab traps and buoys, right in the middle of every bend.

Now, if you have never tried to negotiate sharp bends in a river, on the downstream trip, with several 30+ foot logs tied to your craft, then you have no idea how much of a problem this will entail.

They proceeded up the Oklawaha until they reached Bear Creek tributary. They decided to go up the tributary and look for some "floaters", Pecky Cypress logs. The tributary is probably 3 miles long, until it re-enters the Oklawaha.

They found 10 nice floaters. They decided to get the 2 easiest logs and set about getting into position. To do this, you MUST approach from downstream and slowly slide by, while "snaring" the log. Once a line is attached to each end, you then pull the log tight to the side of the boat and tie it off to the cleats. The first log was hung on a branch, so, pulling it loose was a snap. The second log was nestled in the Lily Pads and required some "finesse" to get the ropes around the log. The log was bigger than they thought, and the Skipper nearly slid out of the boat, trying to reach around the log. Gilligan, as always, came to the rescue.

The 2 logs were taken about 9 miles to the landing and left up close to shore.

The next day was to be a little more eventful. Skipper and Gilligan headed out bright and early to gather 2 more logs.

On the way, they encountered Momma, laying on a shoal, on the bend of the Oklawaha, dead. She had obviously been severely injured in a fight, and had succumbed during the night. Skipper and Gilligan were saddened to see Momma like that.

They proceeded on and encountered the first log, about 1 mile up the Bear Creek tributary. It was hung on a snag in the river, and after turning the "Swamp Rat" around, it was pulled loose and dragged downstream and left in a wad of grass and Lily Pads. They then headed up to the other end of the tributary, where a VERY nice log was laying against the bank. Traveling downstream, they found the log and turned around. The log was pulled loose and it was big and HEAVY. It was tied alongside the boat and they started upstream.

Gilligan was riding lookout, on the bow of the boat, like Ahab looking for the Whale. He would signal the Skipper to drift left or right, to avoid underwater snags. Things were proceeding nicely, when, suddenly, the boat struck an underwater log. It stopped RAT NOW, and Gilligan took one giant step forward from the momentum, and disappeared into the black abyss. All that remained was his floating hat. The Skipper was laughing so hard, poor Gilligan had to crawl back into the boat, over the slick log, by himself. Gilligan then started laughing hard, himself. Thay sat for several minutes, laughing, before they could gather their senses and proceed.

They traveled back down the Oklawaha, past Momma, and on to the log left in the grass. It was tied fast and they headed to the landing once more.

Upon reaching the St. John's, they noticed a fire had been burning in the National Forest. They also noticed storm clouds gathering. They traveled toward the clouds at around 5 MPH, pushing the logs tied alongside the boat. They were nearing the bend in the river that would put them in harms way if the storm broke out. The decision was made to take the chance and make a run for it. The wind had picked up some and the rain was starting to fall.

Once around the FT. Gates bend of the river, things started getting worse. It was now too late to turn back and hide around the bend of the river, and the wind was steadily growing in intensity. Gilligan was at the wheel and he turned straight into the whitecaps, that had by now turned into 4 foot waves. The waves began breaking over the bow of the "Swamp Rat".The bilge pump was turned on and a little prayer was said, to help keep the pump running. As one wave would lift the tiny craft up and then let it down, the next wave would break over the bow.  Gilligan turned the boat sideways and immediately took a wave over the gunwale. He then turned the craft at a 45-55° angle to the waves and the two mariners kept making for the far shoreline. It was probably the worst 10 minutes the two had spent on the river. The rain was pounding down so hard, they had barely 10 feet of visibility.

FINALLY, they reached calmer water and the bilge pump was still discharging water. They were soaked and cold. Things were floating in the boat. After a fashion the water was pumped out and the pump turned off. The clouds started breaking up and the sun nearly came out. It was however, not the end of the storm. The twosome kept heading for the landing and after rounding the last bend, were about 200 yards from the landing, when the rain started again. They made it to the landing just as the rain began pounding again, and then it was over.

Within 10 minutes, the sun came out and the clouds disappeared. All was well, once again.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I'm sure glad you guys were just after logs and not the Ark of the Covenant.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rocky_J

Sounds like typical Florida weather- if you don't like it then just wait 30 minutes!  ;)

Tom

It's a shame you couldn't have harvested Momma.  

That's a good story.  I know how those storms feel on the St. Johns.  When the lightening begins it will put the fear of God in you.  Much of that and I'd consider two pumps. ;D

Four logs.  How long will they last on the mill?  What do yo think they'll gross?  $$

Fla._Deadheader

We cut the logs into the proper length's. 2½ hrs and we put 630 feet onto the trailer. It won't make a dent into the truck payment we just acquired ::) ::)  Blew the tread off 2 tires on the way home. Borrowed trailer. Now, we have to get a ball mounted into the truck bed, and, we won't have to keep looking for someone to work with us. ;D ;D ;D

Got a 3500 Dodge Dually, with extended cab and a CUMMINS Diesel. ;D ;D ;D 1997 year model. ;D ;D ;D

Wife ain't real happy, but, since she is no longer able to drive, I told her she could ride shotgun anytime she felt like it. ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Buzz-sawyer

Florida
sounds like it is time to start producing B I O diesel fuel!
The current fuel prices are starting to make me a believer in chicken fat diesel.  
it sounds like you guys had quite an expedition! One question, where were ginger and Mary Ann? or was the alligator named ginger?
I'm not sure if I  we will be able to come to Florida this year.  If we do, I will be sure and visit you this time, after all I always love the island.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Norm

That's a great story Harold (skipper), I must say that momma looked to be sleeping not dead. Did ya give her a poke with your oar just to make sure. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Norm, there is NO mistaking a dead Gator. They Don'T move. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

shopteacher

Sounds like you and Gilligan had quite a little adventure. Now I can't decide whether to vist SwampDonkey with the thorns and misquitos or you with storms and gators.  :D  Glad ta hear all worked out well and ya got the truck.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

DeepForest

:D :D :D Thats the floridians spirit of adventure !!! :D :D :D Now u know that momma could give u a nice pair of boots, belts and even nice poulstry for your new six wheel drive ;D ;D ;D

Swede

Fla._D   THAT a nice story! Wish there wasn´t so much water and so many miles between Småland and that Swamp. Is there any guest harbor? :D
Also wish I could haul Swamp logs here. Perhaps I can but they is hard to find and lying in deep mud since 50 or 100 years and don´t float.   Seems enough  exiting even if we have no gators. Couldn´t You do any money hauling it? Does dead gators smell? ;D ;D ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Swede. The water that leaves the St. John's is the same water that flows to Europe. Doesn't Smaland have rivers that flow to the sea ??? There's always room for another boat to tie up to the dock, at the camp. ;D ;D  If I could only bottle the aroma, I would send you a whiff. ::) :o :D :D :D :D

Maybe you should check around for Swamp Logs. Might find some that you COULD haul ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

swampy

After three days of trying to dry out I would like to invite anyone who is adventureous to come along on one of our three hour tours. ;) To say the weather started getting rough was an understatement. :o :o it wassssssss realllllllly rough.
   As far as momma being asleep, I would not want to stand tooo close when you poke it. I think the smell would curl your nose hairs :o :o. She was starting to get quite ripe if you know what i mean. ;D ;D      Gilligan
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Sackett

mamma apeares to be quite large,I'm wonderin' what would fight something like that an win?

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the Forum, Sackett.

Ya otter see the OTHER Mommas in da Oklawaha. ::) ::)

This Momma was about 12 feet. We know of 2 others that are 13+ feet. ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

Sounds like you live some great adventures.  It's good to have enough excitment to keep the blood pumping.

Don't want to step on yer thread but some time I'll tell ya about one time at hurricane landing,'backwaters of sardis' and ran out a gas. DanG wind was blowin the WRONG WAY!!!  Makes a guy get jumpy and nervious and SCARED!!! ???.

Oh, I REALLY enjoyed reading about yer adventure!!!!  You ever get lost or stranded in them swamps send up smoke signals and Me and Shop and Duane and EZ and Swead and Haytrader and Oldsaw, and whoever else we can recruit will launch the rescue mission!!!!!

Shopteacher, be sure and bring yer cant hook!!!!!  Gonna put you in charge of fightin off them 30 foot alligators.  They'll be a LOT bigger after we get through telling about them!!!!!!! ;D 8) 8)

Again ought not to change the subject but I just gotta say, I always liked Mary Ann better than Ginger!!!!! ;D

And never could understand why the Professor couldn't cobble together a boat that'd get em out a there.  I think they didn't want to leave!!!!! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Like your adventure guys :). Now here's another way to take a bath ;)

We was fishing salmon from a canoe, and in the canoe is a hardwood keal running the length of the boat. Grandfather had a chair rigged up, actually a lawn chair and he kinda dosed off. That's what some of these guides do up here in these parts when the action is kinda slow. ;) Well we was fishin in about 3 feet of cold cold water in august. I was fishing from the sturn end of the boat and the guide was in the rear. And all the sudden I feel the boat lean a little hard to the right. Well the guide had dozed off and the chair he was sittin in rolled on a paddle and over he went for a bath, ka splash. The cold water woke'm up and we made for shore to get a change of clothes. He told me in all the years of guiding and poling these rivers I only fell outta this boat twice and both times its been in this dang river. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Swede

Fla_.D. Thats the problem in these days with high gasoline prices! The flow is wrong. Would You please turn that DanG stream backwards and I´ll be at the Swamp in November when it´s cold and wet here.  :)

I go 8 km to the lake Rottnen. There is some municipal land  where I can find a tree to cut. Turn it into the lake with the Swede Hook, rig it with a lawn chair and float by Ronnebyån to Östersjön, turn left around the corner of Tarketts factory in Ronneby, turn rigt again outside Skanör-Falsterbo, under the bridge between Malmö and KØbenhavn. 3 days later I´m out on the A.O. and can lean backwards in the chair and let the stream take me to the Swamp.
Do You pull the wistle (pull the Swamp Rats tail) when I´me there, in that case  I´m asleep? ;D Just let me know when You´ve turned the stream.

With Your rivers floatig up streams there will be a  WHIDE swamp to raft  logs from!  You´ll need a fleet of Swamp Rats!

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Fla._Deadheader

Swede, perhaps you have never seen " The Barge" ???  :D :D

First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

Now thems the kind of storys I like to read, FD. Kept me on MY toes. Great pictures also. 8)
All my life I always wanted to go to Florida and sail the great rivers and swamps and see the wildlife. With some of your adventures, I'm having second thoughts now. I'm not afraid of anything, but you scare me, FD.
EZ

EZ

Hey by the way, nice boat or barge, did you build it.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

EZ, ain't nuttin to be scared about. ;D ;D ;D

C'mon down. We have LOTS of fun. Have to, ain't makin any money ::) ::) ;D :D :D

My oldest Daughter, Teri, and 1 partner helped build the Barge. Took about 1½ months, total. All ½" plywood and fiberglass.

It will carry 11 nice logs, no matter how long they are.
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Not making any money?

That's the kind of work I seem to like :D :D :D

Am I invited? I'll scale the logs before ya load the barge :D :D :D

Keep the barge between the gators and the shoreline. ;)

Where's Tom during all this?  Or is he your sawyer? ;)

You need to start up your own Possum Lodge like 'Red Green'

If your women don't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy. Keep your stick on the ice. I'm a man, I know, I can't change. :D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

EZ

shopteacher

I've licked that swimming problem. I added a large ballast tank to my mid section. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!