iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could this be worthwhile sawing?

Started by roghair, October 10, 2013, 05:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roghair

I'm an inexperienced (hobby) sawyer and reading the giant burled WO post (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69502.0.html#lastPost) , I thought about this burled robinia (pseudo accacia) on my land. It has only one branch left, but is still alive. It's not a very nice tree, so if there is a chance there is something nice inside I can take it down, what do you think?

built a sawmill

kevin19343

Those burls are a wood turners dream come true.

LeeB

Looks like a mulberry, just going by the bark and form.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Its one of those things that are part of the learning experience.  Sometimes it isn't look like its worth sawing, but just to satisfy your curiosity, I'd want to saw it.  How much time is it going to take you, and what would you do with that time?  Those burls would have my curiosity.  I'd spend the time.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ianab

Yup, I'd have at it too.

It's a lucky dip what you will find inside. But if you get lucky there will be burl and figured wood. Not huge clear boards that we usually look for, but interesting stuff that can be turned or made into things like jewelry boxes or decorative veneer.  It doesn't matter if you only end up with short boards for projects like that.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

If the center is solid, black locust is really pretty, hard and as rot resistant as teak. +burls, better. I would consider some book matched live edged slabs if the log is sound. Otherwise, hopefully at least the burls are sound. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

I see some great table tops in that tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

macpower

Burls, burls, burls! Dangit, I'd want to saw that just so as to see what's in it.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

delvis

I would probably see about selling the burls on that tree to a wood turner rather than try and saw it out.  The other option may be to saw it into the thick slabs that can be worked into something else later.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

drobertson

Yes on both accounts, take it down, systematically section it, you might build a short bed attachment for the shorter sections. Not sure on the actual burl sizes, but some would make nice book matched ends, others might be good for turning.  Most definitely worth the time,    david 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I keep looking at the figured bark. I'd buck a beautiful log out of it and I believe I would just stand it up in the corner of my living room and put accent lighting on it.  :)

Ya just don't see something like this everyday or maybe in a life time.

Why ruin it by milling it.....but this is just my thoughts.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Not just yours. I love to look at them as a whole too. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mmartone

Keep in mind I dont know much... But seems a bit strange to read on the Forestry Forum in the SAWMILLS and MILLING section someone saying dont saw that log!  Like we are in some sort of US gubment upsided down, funhouse mirror world.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mmartone on October 10, 2013, 10:04:36 PM
Keep in mind I dont know much... But seems a bit strange to read on the Forestry Forum in the SAWMILLS and MILLING section someone saying dont saw that log!  Like we are in some sort of US gubment upsided down, funhouse mirror world.

Now you are learning.  :D Hang around me long enough and you WILL BE in a funhouse mirror world.  :D

All I was saying is I have never seen a log/tree that GORGEOUS. I would be willing to bet, half the human race has never seen a log/tree like that.
Once its sawn....its gone. I'm just looking at this tree as a piece of art. I still like it!  :)

mrcaptainbob

There's a commercial hawking the purchase of gold by William Devane. One of those commercials has him standing by a large tree with some giant burls on it. Every time I see it I think which way should it go. Don't cut, slab it, or cut those burls out for turnings.

mrcaptainbob

By the way... can burls be purposely caused?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

To saw up the tree above this reply would be a crime. IMO.  :)

drobertson

If you have no plans on sawing lumber or turning stock, let it grow,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on October 10, 2013, 10:27:11 PM
By the way... can burls be purposely caused?

The answer is most likely yes, using a patch grafting technique, you should be able to take small pieces of the outer burl and attach them to another tree. Appropriately spaced, I believe it could be commercial. It would require decent grafting skills. Also, probably at least 20 years to get anything of size. The grafting should be onto probably 2-5" pole stands.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ron Wenrich

We had some on here talking about making burls where there were injuries, namely from bullets.  Jim King was  going to try that down in the Amazon.  I know that he did "inoculate" some trees, but, sadly, Jim is no longer with us.  He used to get into some really nice burls.  Here's a few:

Here's a thread from a few years ago about growing burls:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48533.0.html
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

downsouth

I agree it's a beautiful tree, but he said it only had 1 branch left on it. So rather than let it die and rot why not get something really nice out of it , so it can be remembered as an awsome and unique tree.
  Just my 2 cents

Texas Ranger

I once read an article on here where shooting a cherry laural, or a cherry, would start burls.  Don't know.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jim_Rogers

Many many years ago, my friend called me up one morning all frantic. He needed a ride and the town taxi was busy so he asked me if I could give him a ride.

I said sure, where to you have to go? 

He said, district court.

So I drove over there and picked him up and drove him to the courthouse. I went in and sat with him in the court room.

On the wall behind the judges chair was this huge wood paneling.
But it wasn't the normal wood paneling that you would normally see.
It was a huge burl that had be sliced very thin to make veneer pieces.

The woodworker had taken these slices and had book matched them left and right from a center line of the panel.
And as well as book matching them left and right he mirrored them up and down.
When he placed them on the backer board that held them in place he didn't place them exactly straight up and down. He put them on a slight angle.
Like this:

It was really something very nice and he did a great job.

Here I am sitting in a court room, my buddy is getting the book thrown at him and I'll sitting there admiring the woodwork.......

It appeared to be a very large oak burl. It could have been four feet or more from the horizontal line up to the top. And there were at least four or five pieces on either side of the vertical center line. It was a very large and unique panel for sure.

Almost all the woodwork in that courtroom was red oak.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

roghair

Thanks for all the replies; I wasn't aware this could be so special. I agree with POSTON as well, the trunk as it is is already beautiful, but as a tree the shape is not good with one branch. As Downsouth said it might die and rot.
Before I take it down I will investigate who wants some of it for woodturning, and decide how to saw it for what purpose; 1" or 2" slabs (I have no idea what to do)
David, what do you mean by 'systimatically section it'
If I want to keep the burls, do I first completely saw them off?
built a sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!