iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting big ugly spruce straight.

Started by ladylake, October 10, 2013, 06:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

My shop where I buy my blades told me to try 3/4 pitch blades instead of 7/8 pitch, night and day difference, the 3/4 pitch cuts straight even in wide cuts until dull  while a 7/8 pitch cuts
so so  in 12" or less. I don't know why but those 3/4 really work, I asked the saw shop why and they didn't know either, said they heard it word of mouth.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

Steve, I spoke to a gentleman this past week in Ohio, he runs the 3/4 pitch as well, even on a big Baker Mill. I saw the finish that came from the Norwood he was running, very impressive,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Very interesting I don't think I ever ran a 3/4 pitch only 7/8 and 1" may be worth a try.Steve to you give up some feed speed with the finer teeth.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

In spruce I could feed a lot faster with the 3/4, I think in normal wood I'd give up some feed speed but not much.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

manoverboard

I notice my 7/8" wanders in long white pine, I cannot believe some of the waves. I will order some 3/4" and try those out.
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

ladylake

Quote from: manoverboard on October 12, 2013, 07:21:12 AM
I notice my 7/8" wanders in long white pine, I cannot believe some of the waves. I will order some 3/4" and try those out.

Check the down pressure on your blade, they saw straighter set at 1/4" down pressure than at 1/8" where TK might set them.  Most times a 7/8 pitch blade cuts white pine good if sharp, that down pressure makes a lot of difference.  Steve

SwampDonkey

How ugly were the spruce? Knotty pasture cow shades? ;D That could be a challenge in itself. Mills won't take them here, even for pulp. Too knotty for logs and the bark is hard to remove with 4" swelled up knots close to one another.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

A lot were real ugly.  The one log I tried to cut with a 7/8 pitch sharp blade was 4" swelled up humps (you described that log good) and it was up and down over 1/8 inch  then I put on a sharp 3/4 pitch blade that cut nice and straight right below  the 7/8 pitch cut.  Hard to believe 1/8 of a inch in pitch could make a difference but so far it has, tomorrow I have 2 more ugly spruce to cut and I'll be using the 3/4 pitch blades.  Steve

Sawmill Man

Ladylake  I think if you will measure and compare the set between the to different blades you will find the reason. Set is way more important with these sawing conditions than pitch. You will probably find the 3/4 blades have more set, just up your set on the 7/8s .
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

ladylake

No the 7/8 had plenty of set, more than the 3/4.   Steve

Sawmill Man

Well if thats the result and they have the same hook angle its time to check the drive belt tension. The 7/8s get a little bigger bite which possibly cause a slight slippage that would be hard to detect if your tension is just borderline to start with.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

ladylake

Nothing wrong with my tension, the fact is the 3/4 pitch cut straighter in spruce. I've tried a lot of different things including more hook and less hook and more set and less set and actually the best cutting 7/8 blade I ran had less set. Is there anything wrong with a 3/4 pitch blade working better, I ran one again today which cut nice and straight until dull.  Steve

ladylake

Also that bigger bite might be what causes the 7/8 to wave.   Steve

ladylake

Also when I hear word of mouth from old timers I listen.  Steve

Hilltop366

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 12, 2013, 11:29:22 AM
How ugly were the spruce? Knotty pasture cow shades? ;D That could be a challenge in itself. Mills won't take them here, even for pulp. Too knotty for logs and the bark is hard to remove with 4" swelled up knots close to one another.  ;D

Known locally as cat spruce. is that term used anywhere else.

ladylake I was wondering what angle hook is on the ¾" pitch blades?

ladylake

I ran new ones with a 10° hook and sharpened ones with a 4° hook and both worked good until dull, they dulled a little early but  I was cutting some dusty old logs. Steve

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 13, 2013, 06:04:23 PM

Known locally as cat spruce. is that term used anywhere else.

Or skunk (white) spruce.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GAB

Gentlemen:
Where, or from who, do you fellas purchase 3/4" pitch blades?
I've always used 7/8" pitch blades and I have tried everything I could think of and I could not saw Colorado Blue Spruce straight.  However, Red Spruce has never been a problem until the blade gets dull.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

xlogger

Steve, I'm like you when I hear old timers talk I also try to listen. You know I've always listen to you :D. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

Are you calling me a old timer, I thought that wouldn't happen until next year.  Steve

ladylake

Quote from: GAB on October 13, 2013, 09:07:35 PM
Gentlemen:
Where, or from who, do you fellas purchase 3/4" pitch blades?
I've always used 7/8" pitch blades and I have tried everything I could think of and I could not saw Colorado Blue Spruce straight.  However, Red Spruce has never been a problem until the blade gets dull.  Gerald

Your shop where you buy blades should have them, if not there are  a lot that do.   This is blue spruce around here.  Steve

EZ

Steve, do you run a little more water on them.
EZ

ladylake

They didn't gum up too bad but yes a little more water than usual.  Steve

barbender

I've used the 3/4 pitch on softwoods a bit, I was told they would leave a smoother surface on very soft woods like spruce and especially balsam fir. Well, I haven't sawn enough of either to be able to tell the difference, what I can say is that the 3/4 blades did NOT like Green Ash :D When I get a whack of balsam logs I'll sharpen up some of those 3/4's and try them again.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!