Sponsors:

tree sex

Started by SwampDonkey, May 13, 2004, 01:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Butternut - male pollen flowers emerging

Fully elongated male butternut flowers

Walnut - male pollen flowers emerging

European Larch - receptive female flower turned upright for pollination.

Sugar maple - male pollen flowers

Black Ash - purple colored male pollen flowers

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Here in Florida our Tree orgy is subsiding.  The pine and oaks have already dusted everything and the "flowers" have dropped  While many of the Bays still show blooms, most of them have the remnants of their seductiveness alitter below their boughs. :)

Kedwards

Thank goodness the tree  pollen is gone.. I thought I was dying of histamine last week . I had to take a claritin to saw and not for the sawdust either. :o
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

SwampDonkey

hmm I thought tree pollen was too big to affect allergies. I thought it was from grasses and herbaceous plants that was most iritating. That's what they seem to be broadcasting on medical science shows. Not trying to belittle your allergies, it sure isn't fun to have the condition.

cheers

BTW, I'm trying to figure out your avatar. Its an embryo of something isn't it? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Here's a quote from http://www.hoptechno.com/book46.htm

"Grasses and trees, too, are important sources of allergenic pollens. Although there are more than 1,000 species of grass in North America, only a few produce highly allergenic pollen. These include timothy grass, Kentucky bluegrass, Johnson grass, Bermuda grass, redtop grass, orchard grass, and sweet vernal grass. Trees that produce allergenic pollen include oak, ash, elm, hickory, pecan, box elder, and mountain cedar."

This site  has the most common allergy producing plants and seasons by area of the country.

http://www.allergyescape.com/Pollen-Allergy.html   :) :)

SwampDonkey

Tom:

I'm glad white birch isn't on the list because everything including my handheld GPS was covered by the tiny yellow particles this week in the bush.

AaaaaaaaaaChew!!  :D

Top the allergies off with.....

DanG varments! Snowshoe hares were bouncin off the tent at night and drumer ruffed grouse beatin at all hours of the night and day. How's a man in the bush get his sleep? :D :D

cheers

Tom

:D  I keep thinking of counting snowshoe hares jumping over the fence and grouse for breakfast. :D

Fla._Deadheader

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Grouse. Makes my mouth water. GOOD EATIN, Maynard ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

errrm  :-/

I saw baby hares half grown already and its only been 3 weeks since the snow left. I think the area was good for grouse, since I saw 4-10 and 12-guage cartridges along the road. mmm birch and poplar for food and dense softwood thicket for cover, good habitat for the critters and fowl. Yesterday I found a beat down path used by moose and bear. And I mean beat! down!. The dang moose was so hungry they even were eating fir bows in small patches. Chocolate covered moose marbles anyone? :D  ;D

SwampDonkey

Female butternut flowers emerging.

Fully receptive female flowers

SwampDonkey

Box elder flowers

Two different trees.

Elmore

Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold' in flower. 'Autumn Gold' is a male cultivar and these are male flowers.

"Imagination without education is like a bird without feet"
"Feet entangle birds, words...men"

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 22, 2004, 09:31:36 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Grouse. Makes my mouth water. GOOD EATIN, Maynard ;) ;) ;D

I'm about to have 11 baby ruffed grouse - but grouse season is soon to be over and I wouldn't want to take out mama grouse.

(Many thanks for the allergy inspiring photos!)

beenthere

Quote..............

I'm about to have 11 baby ruffed grouse - but grouse season is soon to be over and I wouldn't want to take out mama grouse.

Grouse season open in Vermont? ::) ???

I thought it was like in the fall, started Sept., and over the end of December. ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tomboysawyer

Quote from: beenthere on May 21, 2007, 02:25:23 PM

Grouse season open in Vermont? ::) ???

I thought it was like in the fall, started Sept., and over the end of December. ???

Ooops. You're right. September - December. It is turkey that is open right now.

TexasTimbers

Those don't look like the leaves on our  Box Elder trees Donk. Wonder why ours is different?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Kev, they aren't fully elongated yet. Another name for it is ash leaf maple or Manitoba maple.

TexasTimbers

I have said this before but Tree I.D. is an area of study that should have a warning label that reads:

WARNING!
Tree identification is a tricky, elusive and difficult undertaking. Tree identification photographs accurately represent their respective species, except in those cases when they do not. All other times they can, but not necessarily and certainly never always. This warning is subject to individual interpretation.[/i]

I guess you figured I have sort of given on up on becoming good at tree i.d. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dodgy Loner

:D :D :D  Nice, kevjay, I should've printed that on the syllabus for the students in my dendrology class.  I'm sure they would have loved it (and they would have understood why by the time the class was over).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!