iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another sharpening question

Started by yukon cornelius, October 09, 2013, 09:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

i am about to start sawing for my house and im doing all my research when I came across in my manual (ez jr mill) a 2 hour break in on new blades before resharpening. is this true? I have 11 blades and it seems im not going to get very far before im out of blades. am I underestimating the amount of lumber in that amount of time? can I just run til they are showing signs of dull? should I debark and wash logs if possible? all my logs will be green oak, cedar, hickory and some walnut. thanks
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

LeeB

I've never heard of the two hour break in.  Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just something I've never heard of. I run my blades till they start to dull and then resharpen. The only thing I can think of would be that it might work harden them some. Interesting.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quotea 2 hour break in on new blades before resharpening. is this true?

Can be read two ways...  2 hours running before you can remove to resharpen.

or .....   resharpen at 2 hours regardless if they need to be sharpened.

Which way do you read it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Yukon,its hard to pin down how long you should run a band before sharpening,it mostly depends on how clean the logs are. Logs are best loaded on a trailer or lifted off the ground with a log arch, dragging is the poorest mode of transport,the grit will dull bands fast.Never heard of breaking in a band you put a new one on and cut until it cuts hard or starts to wonder depending on how fussy you are.I sharpen my own and seldom run a band that's not vicious sharp.Do you have anyone near you that will sharpen bands.??If there are a lot of small bandmills in your area you could pay for sharpening equipment in short order grinding bands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Never heard of "blade break-in"!

I have a debarker on my mill and usually average around 800 board feet before the blade shows signs of getting dull!

If your logs are free of "mud pack", you should get a few hundred board feet before the blade starts going dull, even without a debarker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yukon cornelius

the manual says no more than 2 hours break in on the blades. I read that in the ez boardwalk manual. I don't have a debarker so I thought I might chainsaw a slice of bark down the first leading edge of the cant. I don't have an arch yet but I have some things to make one. our land is like a mountainside. its very steep (it drops 450 feet elevation in the first 750 feet and back up 300 and back down to 450 in the last 750. without a doubt there will be a lot of dragging logs to a place I can lift them. I need a skyline across my first valley haha! maybe I can powerwash some off of them. as far as a resharpener close... have no idea... I know of one larger sawmill (not bandsaw) and one bandsawmill close. I will most likely send them in if I cant find one close. anyone near wheatland mo?

manoverboard

Quote from: yukon cornelius on October 10, 2013, 09:46:28 AM
the manual says no more than 2 hours break in on the blades. I read that in the ez boardwalk manual. I don't have a debarker so I thought I might chainsaw a slice of bark down the first leading edge of the cant. I don't have an arch yet but I have some things to make one. our land is like a mountainside. its very steep (it drops 450 feet elevation in the first 750 feet and back up 300 and back down to 450 in the last 750. without a doubt there will be a lot of dragging logs to a place I can lift them. I need a skyline across my first valley haha! maybe I can powerwash some off of them. as far as a resharpener close... have no idea... I know of one larger sawmill (not bandsaw) and one bandsawmill close. I will most likely send them in if I cant find one close. anyone near wheatland mo?

I'm dealing with quite a few dozer dragged logs due to the same conditions. I'm considering chain sawing an inch off the butt to help as I do not have a source of water. I use a long spud bar with a 2" flat scraper end, this tool and a hatchet get under and peel the bark well. I'm sawing white pine, white oak, cherry, and poplar...
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

customsawyer

I have never heard of a blade break in period. I put mine on and cut till it is dull.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

yukon cornelius

thanks for the responses. it looks like we have around 3 more days of mixing concrete for the floors then its full speed ahead! I know for sure I dont have enough logs cut but I have plenty of big oaks on our place. I will use maybe 6 of my 11 blades and order more so I can send in 10 at a time. whats the average turn around time on blade sharpening? I have timber wolf blades. we are trying to beat snow flying to be in this house so I cant have too much downtime.

Thank You Sponsors!