iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holes at Base of Oak Tree

Started by Dtragesser, October 08, 2013, 09:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtragesser

I have 2 mature oak trees on my property in So California. Both have
two or three holes, about the diameter of a penny, in the roots just
above the ground. The holes are very deep and the foliage looks good.
Any idea what is making these holes, if it is deadly and how to treat
it? I have tried to attach a photo.  Thanks.

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF!  May be early stages of "Holeyoak" disease.  ;)
Obviously, I don't know.  Someone will come along that does.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mesquite buckeye

Maybe exit holes from a large oak borer. From the shape, a roundhead.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dtragesser

From what I've seen on line so far, the holes do have the round shape of an oak borer hole but the size is much larger than what I have seen mentioned on line.  Will the oak borer kill the trees?  Can an local arborist treat the trees to kill the oak borer?  Thanks.

thecfarm

Dtragesser,welcome to the forum. I'm not one to help much. That critter had some chompers on it to make a hole that big.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

Could they be holes from a Asian Long Horn Beetle ? I would contact your forester in your area and have it checked from what I hear the Asian Beetle will kill seven different kinds of trees.
Bill

mesquite buckeye

If you look carefully, you can see rapid growth of the adjacent bark, indicating the plant is compensating for the damage. Most borers can be tolerated by trees as long as they don't completely disrupt the conduction system. That only happens in outbreak conditions, often during or immediately following drought. ;D

EAB is a notable exception, killing trees even under good conditions. That is because the native ashes are not resistant, and have minimal defenses to this bug.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dtragesser

Thank you all very much for your feedback and advice.  I called a local arborist yesterday and am waiting for him to call back. 

Thank You Sponsors!