iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Valley Firewood Processor

Started by jbos333, October 07, 2013, 09:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi all,

I have been considering a used Valley processor as the next step in increasing my firewood production. I would love to buy a brand new $30,000 machine, but that's not really in the cards right now.

Does anyone own one? Like or dislike it? I don't have the model number, but this is one that does not have a hydraulic saw. Supply your own saw, mount to a plate. It is a tandem axle, road-legal trailer with a live deck that swings up into position. 6 way adjustable wedge.

The owner says it'll take 18" wood and maybe 20" if its not too gnarly. Claims he has put 3 face cord/hr. through it no problem. He's asking $10,500. Says everything works and I can bring some of my own logs to demo it if I want.

I palletize my wood and I can only manage a face cord in 2 hrs. right now. And my current setup is about as efficient as I can make it...no bending or lifting of blocks, logs are bucked at a comfortable height and slid down a trough to splitter, split and right onto pallet.

So, any opinions on this? Hopefully someone who owns one of these will chime in.

Thanks!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jbos333

It is very similar to the unit in the video. No top feed roll though. The splitter area looks just about identical. And of course no hydro saw.

cp881

I believe the manufacturer of that processor is now Amherst welding.They might be able to answer any questions you have about that machine

bmcdowell40

Quote from: jbos333 on October 07, 2013, 09:05:30 PM
Hi all,

I have been considering a used Valley processor as the next step in increasing my firewood production. I would love to buy a brand new $30,000 machine, but that's not really in the cards right now.

Does anyone own one? Like or dislike it? I don't have the model number, but this is one that does not have a hydraulic saw. Supply your own saw, mount to a plate. It is a tandem axle, road-legal trailer with a live deck that swings up into position. 6 way adjustable wedge.

The owner says it'll take 18" wood and maybe 20" if its not too gnarly. Claims he has put 3 face cord/hr. through it no problem. He's asking $10,500. Says everything works and I can bring some of my own logs to demo it if I want.

I palletize my wood and I can only manage a face cord in 2 hrs. right now. And my current setup is about as efficient as I can make it...no bending or lifting of blocks, logs are bucked at a comfortable height and slid down a trough to splitter, split and right onto pallet.

So, any opinions on this? Hopefully someone who owns one of these will chime in.

Thanks!

I would like to see some pictures of your setup. I'd like to eliminate some of the back breaking labor of splitting.

jbos333

bmcdowell40,

I'll have to get you some pics. Don't really have any right now. But I'll tell you it's all done on a 18' landscaping trailer. Basically have it set up so the work surface is level with the fenders/side rails. I can load 4-5 logs around 12' long on the far side of the trailer, I have a shallow trough set up on the work side of the trailer. So I roll a log toward me, into the trough, with a peavey or hookeroon, then I mark my lengths and buck it up. The rounds then can be slid toward the back of the trailer, right onto the splitter infeed. The tongue of the splitter rests on the gate of the trailer, which is opened and blocked up level with the deck. On the other side of the gate next to the splitter operating side is my pallet, that I turn and stack the split firewood on. When it's full, I take it off with the tractor forks and put an empty one in its place. And so on.

So the bucking is done at a comfortable height (no bending), and you never lift a piece of wood until it's split. And no manual re handling because of the palletizing.

busybeaverfirewood

Quote from: jbos333 on October 11, 2013, 09:08:28 PM
bmcdowell40,

I'll have to get you some pics. Don't really have any right now. But I'll tell you it's all done on a 18' landscaping trailer. Basically have it set up so the work surface is level with the fenders/side rails. I can load 4-5 logs around 12' long on the far side of the trailer, I have a shallow trough set up on the work side of the trailer. So I roll a log toward me, into the trough, with a peavey or hookeroon, then I mark my lengths and buck it up. The rounds then can be slid toward the back of the trailer, right onto the splitter infeed. The tongue of the splitter rests on the gate of the trailer, which is opened and blocked up level with the deck. On the other side of the gate next to the splitter operating side is my pallet, that I turn and stack the split firewood on. When it's full, I take it off with the tractor forks and put an empty one in its place. And so on.

So the bucking is done at a comfortable height (no bending), and you never lift a piece of wood until it's split. And no manual re handling because of the palletizing.

Would really like to see pics of your set-up.  I have a super split and was thinking of incorperating something like that.  It would almost be like the Logrite machine.  I forget what they call their machine, "Firewoodinator" or something like that, LOL. Pretty slick though!
Bill
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!