iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS290 gas cap problem

Started by TheTexasRAT, October 07, 2013, 05:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTexasRAT

Hello, I have a Stihl MS290 that is about 5 months old, and it started to spew fuel from the gas cap at times when the motor is reved. It does not do it all the time but still I do not like fuel getting on my leg -it just seems dangerous. Does anyone know what causes this to happen? Is it the cap or the vent thingy, or ___?

luvmexfood

I've had problems a couple of times on my oil cap with the scrench tearing into the screwdriver slot and making a hole in them. I must have put them on to tight. Yes I would get a new one. Getting burned is no fun.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

TheTexasRAT

Yes on my old poulan chainsaw I would use a pair of channel locks and really get down on the caps. But this newer Stihl chainsaw has the toolless caps, no need for the scrench to ever get involved. Really nice!

And yes I agree that it is a good idea to replace the cap, but was wondering if I need to do anything else to help avoid this issue? I mean if it is something else causing pressure to build up in the fuel tank no new cap would solve the problem. But then again a defective cap could very well be the culprit.   

I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem with the newer screnchless fuel caps, and what they did to fix it, or is it simply something to expect from a bad design?

Ianab

The fuel tanks on those saws do pressurize a little normally. I think this is to reduce evaporation and loss of fumes. If you leave the saw sitting warm, then open the cap you hear a "fizz" like a bottle of soda being opened. So if the cap wasn't sealing, or the vent / pressure part of the cap was acting up, then the pressure could squirt out some fuel as you describe.

Either way, a new cap be the first place to start. It includes the whole vent / seal mechanism.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

TheTexasRAT

thecfarm

Maybe the dealer will get you a new one at no cost,if not damaged by you?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TheTexasRAT. :)
I have an MS290 that I've never had this problem with. I also am logging six days a week now, and we run this "newer" version of the gas/oil caps on the 361/440/460/660 saws with no problems, either.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

The original fuel cap on my 361 used to give me trouble at times, then one day just broke. Since replacing with a new one I haven't had a single issue.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: thecfarm on October 07, 2013, 08:12:47 PM
Maybe the dealer will get you a new one at no cost,if not damaged by you?
If the saw was still under warranty I would ask the dealer to replace it, but sadly I had a tree fell backwards, pinching the blade, and then as it fell rolled toward the saw and popped the oil reservoir - smashed the oil cap, broke the handle bar, and cracked the pull rope housing, all the while driving the saw into the ground trigger handle first which cracked it as well. MY BAD!!!

I since went and got an old dead saw for $100 and put the new motor over into the older plastic housing and covers. Needless to say the warranty got void once I took the saw apart (even though I did not mess with the mixture screws limiter caps nor did I crack open the motor) being I am not a Stihl authorized mechanic.  Anyway, now the saw sports a whole other serial number than what the warranty has registered.

These caps do not cost that much. I just was wanting to be sure it was not something else causing the issue before I started using it again as I am not parcel to fuel spewing down my leg (it stain my boot and only one at that, not to mention the fire hazard).

I thank you all for sharing with me y'all's knowledge and experience of this saw design, as now I am confident that I can simply change out the fuel cap and be safe from spontaneous combustion.

Saw if you got'em!

beenthere

After that tree rolling over the saw, not surprising the fuel cap doesn't work..  ;D

Bummer!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TheTexasRAT

Quote from: beenthere on October 08, 2013, 05:55:34 PM
After that tree rolling over the saw, not surprising the fuel cap doesn't work..  ;D
Actually I could still start it up and saw with it, the only thing being it would no longer oil the chain. I started it up several times after the tree fell on it and the fuel cap never spewed one drop of fuel. Then once I moved everything over to the other housing the fuel cap started spewing fuel but only when the engine was revved - go figure. I even put the oil cap from the other housing on the fuel reservoir and it spewed fuel as well. Anyway whatever was causing the issue has quite now. I still will get new caps, even though the old one is working now (as it can not be trusted).

Thank You Sponsors!