iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our 2013 Moose

Started by Ken, September 30, 2013, 08:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

We got our moose last Friday just a little before dark.  Quite a challenge to get him out as he was over 500m form the road at the back of a cut.  Although he wasn't weighed we delivered 612 lbs to the butcher so field dressed weight should be about 825.  He had 19 points and was in full rut.
First picture shows my buddy and his wife who had her license

Second picture show the moose all loaded and ready to go

Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

A mighty fine critter to fill the freezer and bragging rights.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I have never had moose meat, but I am sure that it is good.  I could use one of those.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW! Talk about something that fills up the bed of a pickup stuck!  :D :D :D

Very nice Ken.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

WDH,If I could trust you not to drill out a log and try to sneak some grits across the border....I think my Granddaughter would give some up when you come to Maine.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Well in that case,start packing.  :D I'll leave a light on.

WmFritz

I've never been close enough to a moose to shoot, especially one in full rut.
My Dad spent a time in Alaska running heavy equipment, told me he'd seen moose in rut stand their ground in front of D9 Cats.

Good job, Ken  8)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sawguy21

I am not a hunter but a couple of times wished for a handy ought 6.  :o Those beasts are nothing to fool with especially in rut. In central B.C. they will travel the railway line between high snow banks with no place to escape. When they meet a train they will charge but always lose.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

justallan1

Dakota

I want to know how you got it into the back of your pick up?
Dave Rinker

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, that's what I was wondering too.  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ken

Quote from: Dakota on October 01, 2013, 09:12:44 AM
I want to know how you got it into the back of your pick up?

We used a 4-wheeler with a trailer to haul the moose out of the cut.  The trailer had a boat winch on it so that was a big help.  When we got to the road we simply drove the bike and trailer up on a high spot beside the road and backed the truck up to the trailer.  Then a bit of brute force grunt work and he was loaded.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Magicman

Congratulations on a successful hunt and a fine trophy.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

My grandfather once loaded a moose into the back of a convertible at highway speed in Maine. Wasn't on purpose, however. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mart

Congrats. That's a nice moose. My wife filled her cow moose tag this year so we're good for meat this year. Moose is usually outstanding as table fare.

Mart
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!