jwilly3879

here are a couple of pics from the new section we started last month

Small deer swimming across the marsh

Waiting for trucks

After three trucks, 17 cord aspen, 34 cord pine gone

Load of pine logs yesterday at noon

Pine pulp at 2pm

sawguy21

Good shots, thank you. I always enjoy seeing logging operations. The truck is interesting, I have never sen one set up like that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jwilly3879

Some more photos.

A pile of 17' hemlock pulp from this weekend.

A view of the marsh from the harvest boundary

The next chunk of pine

clww

Great pictures, jwilly! I really like the one of the little guy taking a swim. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jwilly3879

thecfarm

Wood must be coming out in a forwarder?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

Super nice pics there Willy! Gotta couple questions for ya. Are you guys clear cutting that unit or has a forester been in there? If I remember right, you all use chainsaws to fall with right... or processor? How many are on your crew? Do you get paid better at the mill selling bucked lengths? You all use a de-limber and a merchandiser for bucking? Looks like an excellent job!

jwilly3879

No clear cut, shelterwood harvest on part of the job, looking for about 40% canopy closure hoping to regen white pine. The hemlock and white cedar are logger select. The rest of the pine is being thinned from the top down and the junk is also being taken out. We are working with a great forester who shows up every couple weeks to mark some more. The stumpage is being paid as cut, no timber sale.

We mostly work on weekends unless the land clearing outfit my son works for has some slow days, he cuts and skids and I mark, buck and stack the wood on the header. This past weekend my grandson was cutting, my son was skidding and they were wearing the old man out with hemlock, at least I was cutting 17', that made it a little easier.

The skidder

a shot from up on the hill

A before and after on the header a little work was done to open it up.

We have some decent markets that are reliable and some great truckers that haul the wood for us. The most important thing is that we enjoy what we are doing.

CCC4

You guys do a very nice job! I bet that is pretty neat for you to have 3 generations out there logging together! Hey I have stole some of your layout technique a couple weeks ago! I had a thicket to cut in, all real low canopy. I cut it in strips and connected them later. Made for real nice lay and easy fro the skidder OP to find the timber. Would have been really great if the skidder OP hadn't come through the lay backwards and ran over my entire kit...gas, bar oil, sweet tea, backpack....super nice!
Thanks for posting! I always enjoy seeing nice work sites! Cheers!

mad murdock

Nice looking skidder, and a very clean job! Kudos to you and crew.  8) Need to see more action shots of the equipment. Thanks for sharing with is! :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

GATreeGrower

Nice wood coming out of there.  That deer pic is awesome.

SPIKER

Quote from: GATreeGrower on October 18, 2013, 05:10:34 PM
Nice wood coming out of there.  That deer pic is awesome.

I agree with both, Seems some of those logs looked like higher grade stuff that pulp to me.   Lumber market poor that way or just no one there to buy the logs for grade lumber?   Sure looks like it would make some nice Cabins outta some of them trees.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

jwilly3879

We have already sold 36,000 bf of pine logs in addition to all the pulp. Quite a bit of the bigger pine has red rot and winds up as pulp. The aspen is worth more as pulp than as logs to the plywood mill and the same with the hemlock. We have several people who want hemlock logs to saw into timbers for skidder bridges and we will save better ones for that market, all we need to do is come up with a price. Hemlock pulp is over $100/cord right now at the mill. The next stand of pine has some great cabin logs but not too many out of the woods log cabins are being built. 25 years ago they were pretty popular around here but most of the true craftsman have past on.

thecfarm

hemlock pulp,$100 cord. WOW!!! Bareley get 200 for a 1000 here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

Hemlock logs are tough, they tend to be shaky and when they get done deducting we found pulp is the best way to go. The landowner knows they will be pulp and is willing to take the lower stumpage, it sort of evens out all the small pulp we cut on the last section. Lost money on that part of the job with so much small wood, hand cutting and cable skidding. We finally told the forester we would knock it down but it wasn't getting skidded. 15-20 trees to a cord is a losing proposition.

jwilly3879

Here's some pictures from my seat in the loader.

This weekends work

Down the hill

Had a good couple days considering my son and I were both suffering with sore backs.   

thecfarm

Nice pictures.Most of these pictures would fit right in on this thread,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
I would enjoy seeing them in there. I go through that thread every few months. This thread will be lost by than.

jwilly3879

Going to try a video of the old Barko decking 17' hemlock for Mad Murdock.

http://youtu.be/zKhls1frpsM

Stephen Alford

Thanks jwilly great thread. That is not your first time in the perch. If it is any help some back problems ie spasm can really be reduced by increasing core strength. A mobilty exercise routine first thing  helps big time.   :)   
logon

thecfarm

That must be you in the loader? Another good video.

jwilly3879

That is my oldest son in the loader, he is usually the cutter but it was the end of the day so I got some relief from the "Screamin' Pumpkin" as my grandson calls it, he is the one getting pinched in the hemlock with his Dad helping him out. He cut down all day Sunday after hunting in the AM. He graduated in June and is attending SUNY Adirondack for a year, then on to the Ranger School at Wanakena and then ESF Syracuse. He would like to become a Forest Ranger or anything related to the outdoors.

It is really neat to be able to all work together, we usually have a good time.

treeslayer2003

your right there J, my dad [72] loads n hauls for me, my oldest son [22] has been running the skidder this week. it is pretty neat. also neat, we on a tract dad cut 30 years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!