iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gittin wood

Started by HORSELOGGER, January 29, 2002, 07:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HORSELOGGER

Me and the boys taking care of bizness 8)

Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

HORSELOGGER

Sorry guys, that was the only size picture that the upload thinger would take. Jeff, what did I do wrong?
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Tom

Go to the "behind the Forum" topic and find a thread where it describes how to get the free demo version of XAT's optimizer.

It'll let you make a picture clear for the forum easily. they must be under 15k

swampwhiteoak

What kinda horses do you use, Horselogger?  I've only seen horselogging once in my career and they used Belgians, didn't know if that was standard or not.

Frank_Pender

Thank you for sharing, Horselogger.  You are a fortunate man to have such friends to enjoy your work.  They do bring a stong personal touch to working in the woods.   ;)
Frank Pender

Kevin

Logger, send me the picture from your files and I`ll have Art look at it.

kvn.rob@sympatico.ca

HORSELOGGER

Hey Guys,   Horses are Suffolk Punches. Doc,8 and Woody, 11. They are a joy to work and really get after it. We lugged 2000 bft of red and white elm, cherry and red oak today, all up hill, in about 6 hours. If I could not use my horses I would not log at all.  Kevin i will send ( actually my wife will help me send as I am a computer ignoramous) a couple pics and thank you !

woodmills1

nice, bet you don't get diesel smell from the boys.  also bet they almost listen.  on second thought i should drop the almost. ;D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin

Frank_Pender

It is a toss-up as to which is nice to look at, the log or the horses. :D :D  Very nice pictures of a working team.  Again thank you for sharing.
Frank Pender

Jeff

Horselogger, do you ever use one of those skid nosecones when you pull logs to keep the dirt out, and help keep it from digging in? I don't know what the right name is, I saw one at an antique store. They wanted way to much money for it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Pending the Horse Loggers approval we could have a new calendar here ...

swampwhiteoak

QuoteI don't know what the right name
Is logging arch the word your looking for?

I am curious too.  Horselogger, tell us more about your operation.  What is your maximum skidding distance?  How big (diameter and length) of logs can your team handle?  

This is real interesting to me, thanks.

Bud Man

Great idea Kevin --I'll take one.        
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Jeff

Swamp, its not an arch, its a steel cone with a hole in the piont of it. the skidd cable or chain passes through the hole and attaches to the log by tongs or choke. When the log is pulled the cone slips down over the end of the log giving it an armored nose piece.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Skidding Cone

photo courtesy of art linkgetter

swampwhiteoak

Oh, Ok then, nevermind :D

Don P

Ever wonder why those old "bathtub" cars in the weeds never have hoods? :D :D. Make good stone boats too ;D

CHARLIE

Right here in downtown Dover, Minnesota there is a horse pulling contest every 4th of July. I think most of the teams are Percherons (not sure about the spelling) and a few are Belgiums. It's a great time watching those teams pull the stone boat. They have to start together, or they can't pull it. They have to work as a team. It's a fun day sitting in the sun, sipping suds and watching the horses set into a pull, muscles rippling. :o 8)   I hear a good pulling horse is worth about $20,000....and then you have to feed him! :o :o

Horselogger, have you ever entered your team into a horse pulling contest? Just curious. They look like a mighty fine team and they are downright beautiful. :-*
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!