iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

debarker question

Started by Ga Mtn Man, October 05, 2013, 08:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I like to get the blade close to the end of the log to minimize parallax error when lining up for a cut.  This of course puts the debarker blade several inches into the log.   Do you guys back up a few inches after lining up the cut or just not worry about the few inches of "unclean" log?     
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I do.....I line my cut up and will back up enough to let the debarker blade start cutting first.
I've always done it that way.  :)

After I get my cant right and my simple set in order, I can actually engage the debarked before each cut without backing up.

Paul, If I'm sawing and leaving the live edge, I don't use the Debarker at all.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I always back up so that the debarker runs the entire log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I find my opening cut, then back up enough to "just" allow the blade of the debarker to come around the corner and start it's cut on the end of the log.

Just something I do!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

I love my bright green laser. No need to back up.

Before the laser I always backed up.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

I look at the log and if it looks good I don't backup. If there's junk on it,  well then I do  :D :D but I have cut so much I get the line up on the first time
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Paul....you may want to watch out.....especially if your debarker is running at eye level......if you're sawing a log with loose bark, some times it will throw a chunk of bark right back in your face.

WDH

Ahhh...., so that is what happened to you  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WoodenHead

Sometimes I backup, sometimes I don't.  If I am sawing softwood, generally I know where I want my blade so I don't line it up (and I don't have to back up).  With hardwood, depending on what I want out of it, I may line it up first (particularly if I am quarter sawing). 

Since I don't have setworks, most of the time I saw religiously at the marks on the ruler (1", 2 1/8", 3 1/4", 4 3/8", etc. for 1" lumber) even if the opening cut would have been better a 1/2" lower or whatever.  This means I have a little more waste at times, but I always know where my blade has to be, even when I flip 180°.  Even when establishing cant width, I have all the blade positions memorized.  So, I always know where my blade has to be and can quickly make each cut.   ;)  (Might not be the right way, but it works for me.)

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 05, 2013, 09:21:59 PM
Ahhh...., so that is what happened to you  :).

Well, well, well....."The Dawgs" pull one out and suddenly WDH is in a good mood.  :D :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

David, I really feel bad about laughing at you when you're offering such good advice but that was one of the funniest one-liners I've seen in a long time. 

WDH

I thought that it was funny, too  :D.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 05, 2013, 09:18:24 PM
some times it will throw a chunk of bark right back in your face. 
It is what happened to me.   :-\   I have a picture to prove it, but my picture posting link is not working tonight.

OK, I figured out a way to post it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

I ALWAYS wear safety goggles and ear muffs.  When I saw spruce I put on my chainsaw helmet with the face shield and still keep the goggles on. 

ps: I back up too, to let the debarker do it's job.

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

I also always wear safety gear.  Thankfully my safety glasses deflected the ERC knot.   :-\

stefan

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on October 05, 2013, 09:00:24 PM
I love my bright green laser. No need to back up.

Before the laser I always backed up.
May i ask if that is a laser from woodmizer?
Also, how do you feel it is working in sunshine, since i was under the impression that you are portable, with your mill out in the open?

stefan

Quote from: Magicman on October 05, 2013, 10:52:49 PM
I also always wear safety gear.  Thankfully my safety glasses deflected the ERC knot.   :-\
That was a nasty cut.
Good thing you were wearing those glasses!
As for myself, being a lazy coward :) i nowadays hide in my cab when sawing so i get away from sawdust and other stuff flying around.
Also up here it gets pretty cold in the winter, so i hope that the cab with heater will make things a bit nicer for the sawyer.

bandmiller2

Related, I no gotsa power debarker, before I make a cut I'll inspect the log wile beside it I use a tape measure to determine the cut from the bunks to what will give me a 6" board next cut.This close inspection allows me to notice any suspicous areas and use my metal detector. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WoodenHead

Quote from: Magicman on October 05, 2013, 09:58:15 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 05, 2013, 09:18:24 PM
some times it will throw a chunk of bark right back in your face. 
It is what happened to me.   :-\   I have a picture to prove it, but my picture posting link is not working tonight.

OK, I figured out a way to post it.   ;D

That is a nasty cut!  I've had few close calls, but fortunately no marks.  Got hit in the adam's apple once, I felt that.   :o

Magicman

If I had a cab, it would have a windshield wiper too.   ;D

stefan

Quote from: Magicman on October 06, 2013, 07:19:07 AM
If I had a cab, it would have a windshield wiper too.   ;D
If the name of the game was "he who has the most wipers..." then i guess i would be doing ok, since this cab in its first life sat way up in the air on one of these building cranes. :laugh:
And, because of that, there is wipers everywere. I think it is four of them, one small up top on the roof, two big ones for the upper/lower front windows and and a small one down on the floor for the little window were my shoes are.

Chuck White

Quote from: GDinMaine on October 05, 2013, 10:32:20 PM
I ALWAYS wear safety goggles and ear muffs.  When I saw spruce I put on my chainsaw helmet with the face shield and still keep the goggles on. 

ps: I back up too, to let the debarker do it's job.

I like to wear my "chainsaw helmet" too, but I have to wait until it cools off some, because the ear-muffs cause sweat and then the sweat runs down my neck and attracts sawdust and DRIVES ME NUTS.

I've looked for a cloth cover to go over the muffs to prevent or at least reduce the sweat!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red pine

I may be a little dense here but I would have thought the debarker would automatically be directly in front of the band at all times when one wants to use it. ??? (Don't have one by the way) If it is not so, why not? ???

Thank You Sponsors!