iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's a Sweptline?

Started by David B, October 04, 2013, 01:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

...a '61-'71 Dodge pickup.

My Dad had one of these (his was an orange crewcab) when I was a kid, been collecting free parts trucks for a few years and am finally putting them together into a driver. Plain, simple, inexpensive, easy to work on, and way cooler than my 4runner, since my '95 Cummins 4x4 is down for the count. This one is a '70 with '68 grille, bumper, 318 engine, and 727 transmission. Front fenders are '63, steering column is from a '71...kinda like Johnny Cash's song about the Cadillac, "One Piece at a Time".  :D Just got it on the road and tires on it, still lots to do. Hope y'all enjoy, maybe there are some other Swepty owners here?

Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Sixacresand

My Dad bought a one brand new in 1967 and drove until he died in 2003.  It was stick shift with a slant 6 engine.  He paid $1800 for it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DanG

That's a cool old truck.  To me, a classic vehicle that wasn't considered "cool" in its day is cooler now than the ones that most people saved.

How many headlights does it have, and do they all come on?  ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

I love those old trucks too. Is the shifter on the dash? Be sure to carry a spare ballast resistor and ignition 'black box', it's not a matter of if you will need them it's a matter of when.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Larro Darro

That is one tough looking truck David. I used to have an old '68{?} Dodge Sportsman van that had all the rear seats removed and was cut down to a pick-up. It had the shift on the dash. One of my friends sold it to me when he needed money to go back to his home town, Paris Il. Then a couple of years later when he came back to Florida, I traded it back to him for painting my house. It was tough as nails. Those slant 6's would go forever.
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

LeeB

My first truck was a 69 Dodge. I think it was an Adventurer though. Didn't have too long before some idiot totaled it for me. I've got an 89 I'm working on getting back up right now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

David B

Glad y'all like it.

'61-'71 Bodies were all pretty much the same except for dash, tail light, and front end changes. This being a '70, it had the Ford-looking aluminum grille with plastic inserts and big bulgy Chevy looking front bumper. I swapped it to '63 four-eye at first, but later changed to '68 style...two headlights. Both work but ones brighter!  :D 

It was a shift on the column, but it was broken, so someone put a cheap aftermarket floor shifter in it. Not too bad. The column was trashed, and all I had that would fit easily was a '71 3 on the tree column, made that work until I get around to adapting the '63 column which is shorter, steering wheel flatter and cooler looking.

I eventually want to put the dash from the '63 that is all rounded steel instead of cracked flat plastic and has the dash cable shifter.

I converted from points it to later model Mopar electronic distributor/GM HEI ignition, no resistor, no black box, and hotter spark! Runs considerably better.

http://duster318.freeservers.com/tech/hei.html

I have a line on a 383 for my short/wide... ;D

I know where there's a pretty decent red '70 Adventurer for sale cheap

1woodguy

The old dodges were always my favorite I liked 63 to 69's
I kept an old 65 around over twenty years cause you could use and abuse it
Easy to work on and tough
I chromed almost the whole front end
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

nk14zp

What 318 is it a poly or a LA?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

David B

Quote from: nk14zp on October 04, 2013, 06:13:09 PM
What 318 is it a poly or a LA?

LA

Just looked at a '62 W300 fire truck the other day that has a Poly, first I've seen.

dgdrls

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 04, 2013, 07:06:24 AM
My Dad bought a one brand new in 1967 and drove until he died in 2003.  It was stick shift with a slant 6 engine.  He paid $1800 for it.

Nice ride!! 
Also known as a "6 on the tilt"  :D  I love those straight 6's

I had a 1950 Power Wagon with a 6- 230" Flatty,  it would go where no other 4x4 could,

I now drive a 2011 1500 with a v6,  could use a stick or a tranny reprogram, no other complaints.

DGDrls

Clark

I always liked the looks of that generation of Dodge trucks. Something very simple and understated about them that appeals to me.

Quote from: dgdrls on October 04, 2013, 07:16:31 PM
Nice ride!! 
Also known as a "6 on the tilt"  :D  I love those straight 6's

I think you meant "leaning tower of power"!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

David B

This article is very interesting.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/slant-six-turbo.html

...and built up slants with big turbos go fast...

Thank You Sponsors!