iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Haste makes Waste

Started by Sixacresand, September 30, 2013, 10:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Got a call on way home from Mississippi asking me if was interested in some pine trees at a site for a new house.  After I got home and unloaded, I rode down to meet the guy and look.  There was already a dozer there pushing them (and dirt) into piles. Most were 15" or less at the base and some would have had  some potential.  I just told him I didn't have the time and equipment to retrieve logs from a pile and certainly was not going to pay him for them.  Haste makes waste.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ahhhh.......you're belly was full from the Chickin Crisp'n. I wouldn't have got the logs either.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Besides all the dirt and dangerous conditions, lots of times they are cracked inside from the shoving. I hate dirt pile logs. >:(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

giant splinter

You did the right thing, he might as well cut and split them on the spot and build a firewood drying shed along with the house. It just takes to much time to clean them up and as Mesquite says .... the logs get fractured from the pushing and shoving along with the dirt and rocks in the bark.
not even worth it for free if he delivered them.            Good Call
roll with it

Peter Drouin

To bad, that's the lazy way to log with a dozer like that
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Just as bad are trees pulled down with an excvavator,life is too short to mess with that crap. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

I pick out a few nice trees that I could get to.  Today, I sawed off the root balls, limbs and tops and got them ready to drag out into the open for parbucking onto my trailer. Before I take a tractor down there, I need to make sure the owner knows I'm not paying for his logs.  He has already been rejected by a logger due to small tract and tree size.  So, What I don't get will rot or be burned and I can certainly live without them and save my back. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

woodmills1

dirt guys dont like trees
tree guys like dirt
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sixacresand

Well it turned out  that since I was the only one expressed any interest his trees, the owner loaded my 2 axle trailer twice with his FEL.   I mill one 18' log which yeilded 6 nice, white, knot free 2X4's.  A big deal for a small timer like me. I'm tickled: Rafters for the porch. 

Thank You Sponsors!