iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yup I'll take those jobs...

Started by scully, September 30, 2013, 09:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

The mill has been sitting allot since I went back to work . But out of the clear blue I get a call .... This farmer near bye has been trying to get someone to mill some logs for him for 3 years !! He wants to build a new barn . I flew over excited to dive into a dream pile of hemloc . Then I see a pile of really old stuff down at least 5 years ! So I tell the guy if he re-piles it up on the flat area for me I will see what I can do . So far I have yeilded some nice 2x8 but most all have a foot of end rot ! Not good he needs 14's and they are 15's . not to mention the mess on my loader side from all the bark falling off . On the up side he owns forest and has logs ...
    Then I get a call from another farm great friends of mine ! Gotta have 2x4's bye the end of the week , so I pack up and pull off farm 1 and go over to farm 2 . Yup new fresh hemloc ! every single log was full of shake ! Absolutely no yeild !  But it still feels awsome to get calls . So far out of the very few jobs I have done, only 3 were complete disasters ! But hey I gave it my all !
I bleed orange  .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Scully, all you can do is your best. At least you got a chance to get out and fly a little.
Good job....it'll get better. Maybe "they" learned something. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Leigh Family Farm

I remember somewhere in the FF Bylaws and Member Handbook that if there are no pictures it never happened!!  :D :D (only exception is if there is food mentioned)

Glad you're getting phone calls and getting out in the sawdust.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Keystone31

I have yet to do a job away from "home". It doesn't seem too bad when people drop off bad logs.

What part of "Central" are you in, Scully? I'm south of the finger lakes, across the border. My sister goes to school at Paul Smith's.
Kubota LM3800, '64 Workmaster 601, Norwood LM2000, Stihl MS270.

Kingcha

Glad to hear you got some calls

I am looking forward to get my first paying job.   I did not look for any this year as I wanted to just get comfortable sawing first.   I will work on a website and cards this winter and hopefully I will get a job or 2.   

One thing I found out this year, milling is the easy part.  Cutting the trees down, sticker stacking, re-stacking in the solar kiln and then trying to find some where to stash it in the pole barn is a lot of work fun.   

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

scully

Keystone I'n near Oswego N.Y.  Paul Smiths is an awsome school !  I'm likeing the idea of a mill yard of my own more and more ,but I have to say I have set up on some beautiful spots for a couple of the jobs I've done . That takes the soreness out of junk logs ......
I bleed orange  .

WDH

Kingcha,

A man needs lots of sheds  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kingcha

I am finding that out WDH.  I already have a make up little buildings and a party gazebo(with a stack of wood in).   My next plan is for a wood shed.   I think my to do list is getting longer. 

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

WDH

At least you have a sawmill to cut the lumber to make the sheds that you need because you have the sawmill.  Somewhat of a circular reference error there if you were using Excel  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!