iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of fish is this?

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, September 30, 2013, 08:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

We netted this guy in a small mountain stream in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
It was a wide spot in the little stream that was about 5' wide, 15' long and no more than 3' deep. There were a lot of little fish and we were netting them to add to our new pond about a mile away at our cabin.

Notice the notch in his back. This guy just missed being dinner for someone!

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

fishpharmer

I'm pretty certain its a creek chub.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mesquite buckeye

Out here that would be a whopper. Looks like a relative of the sand trout. ;D

BTW- a sand trout is a mythological fish that inhabits dry washes. It is a desert tradition to drop a line to the sand from a bridge and wait for someone to ask what you are doing.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

doctorb

I wouldn't bet against fishpharmer on this one.  He's got it nailed.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Weekend_Sawyer

I just looked up Creek Chub and I believe that's it!

Thanks for the replies.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPIKER

Mostly Chubs (what we call them) around Ohio have small bumps on their nose between eyes and mouth with a slightly downward mouth (like carp but not as pronounced.)  Shiners are not as slimy and missing the bumps as well as some have lines on sides & mouth is more of what yours appears to be.   Shiners like open water in middle of column medium water speed or slow current while Chubs hug bottom more often in faster current sections sucking onto rocks watching for incests to float over to zoom up and grab.
Also agree it was a Lucky Fish at least once ;)
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Corley5

Used to be able to buy smoked chubs at an Indian fish place in Grand Marais.  They were really good.  A little oily but really good.  That was thirty or more years ago now  :o
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Way to go Fish.  There are not many "What kind of fish is this?" posts.  It is good to have a Resident Fish Biologist to fall back on ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

I don't think I've ever really seen one but I've felt lots of them. Back when we had smelt in the Great Lakes and I did a lot of  "dipping," I could tell the chubs apart from the smelt by feeling them in my net. Like Spiker said, they have a slimy feel to them.
Smelt go in the pail, chubs go back in the Bay.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on September 30, 2013, 11:20:10 AM
Out here that would be a whopper. Looks like a relative of the sand trout. ;D

My stepson calls it "dry lining"  :D  He had to try it over a dry lake bed a few years back to see what people would think.

BTW- a sand trout is a mythological fish that inhabits dry washes. It is a desert tradition to drop a line to the sand from a bridge and wait for someone to ask what you are doing.

DanG

Fishpharmer is the WDH of Piscadrology. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

isawlogs

Fish knows his fish.  :P :P
   I have a few in my aquarium, I put my minow cage in the river and stock my aquarium, identify the catch and start over. There are alot of different little fishes in a river  :o :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!