iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This Juniper is beautiful wood

Started by justallan1, September 29, 2013, 08:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It's hard to get something when you do not start with much.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JSwigga

Juniper is the Genus name, there are over 50 difference types of juniper.  Thats why people call that tree ERC because it specifies what type of juniper you are talking about.  :P
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

mesquite buckeye

That log looks almost as nice as some of our mesquite. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I learned today if you scratch Juniper is doesn't smell like mint.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

Of course it didn't smell like mint, that comes from the mint tree. bg

justallan1

Question. Is there any signs to look for in telling if it's going to be pecky. I dropped a few that I thought looked pretty solid and without much signs that the would have ingrown bark to find them pretty much junk. Would it kill the trees to drill a hole in them to check them first. Anything I fall I take home, and I'm far too lazy to take home a bunch work that I'm not going to benefit from.  ;D

Allan

schmism

Quote from: justallan1 on December 17, 2013, 11:38:20 PMWould it kill the trees to drill a hole in them to check them first. Allan

I know you can take a  core sample from a tree without killing it.   but you need a special tool an increment borer to do so.    it cuts a core that can be removed for inspection instead of just a drill bit that turns everything into chips/dust
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Ianab

If the tree is still healthy and growing it will quickly heal over the small hole that an increment borer makes. Like any other small wound like a nail hole or a woodpecker might make.

There will always be a hole inside the tree, but as long as it's healed over this isn't an issue.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

coxy

never new that juniper got that big the stuff we have here is all bushy and most only about 15ft high and that's big  mostly grows in old fields makes good rabbit cover  that is some nice lumber

m wood

Poston, its not a juniper that smells like mint, it's the Julip tree that has a mint smell :D.  most often found in Kentucky in the beginning of May ;D.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Cedarman

One should never cut down a julep tree.  Just put a small tap in the tree and let the juice fall over a glass of ice.  Best done first Saturday in May and the week before.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

mesquite buckeye

Alligator juniper can get 4 ft thick. There used to be a big one with a nice log that size X maybe 20 ft long up on the north side of the Santa Catalina Mountains. That tree burned up in the big fires about 10 years ago. Too bad, would have been nice lumber. :'(

Eastern redcedar can also get that big. It just gets cut or dies before they get that big nowadays. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

qbilder

Buckeye, next time you're through here, spend a day & I will show you several giant old alligator junipers that are dead standing but the forestry guys won't allow anybody to get them, not legally. I know of one that is at least 6' wide for 8-10' before branching. Been dead for decades, maybe longer, but it's untouchable. That stuff stays solid long after it dies, too. I have zero doubt that tree would produce a ton of defect free lumber.   
God bless our troops

mesquite buckeye

Even in death those trees are sacred, as a bird may sit on it or a hiker may someday walk past and needs to be afforded the opportunity for it to fall upon him as it slowly rots down. Or burns up and ladders the fire into the crowns of the living trees.

The wise use of resources has become criminal. Too bad. >:(

oklalogdog

We can hardly find ERC that big around here that doesn't have a hollow heart.  That sure is a pretty one.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

21incher

It is amazing how something so ugly on the outside can be so beautiful on the inside.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Cedarman

Quote from: 21incher on December 19, 2013, 07:19:48 AM
It is amazing how something so ugly on the outside can be so beautiful on the inside.
Some women are that way. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

And then there are Sweetgums that are the opposite.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

Just got word that the ice bridge is about ready to cross. Cold and they should be crossing tomorrow. This is a full month ahead of the time we crossed last year. Looking good.....
Quebecnewf

Magicman

Good for you and keep us posted with your progress.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

GAB

Magicman wrote:
"It's hard to get something when you do not start with much."
Well Magicman for your information I started off with nothing and have all of it left.  Come to think of it, in the past 6 decades plus, I think I've acquired even more. 
Gerald 
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Then Gerald, you are a very rich man because you now have the wisdom to know.   :)

Bill Gaiche

I believe MM was referring to the lumber that comes from a log with so many imperfections. bg

Magicman

;D  Yes, but let's not spoil his fun.  :)

shelbycharger400

erc is nice material,  but cutting them down  is a pta   a giant over grown bush.   

Thank You Sponsors!