iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Classic car auction

Started by sandhills, September 28, 2013, 08:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Didn't want to highjack Wildflowers thread about Jeff's new car but wondered if any of you had heard about the auction in Peirce, Ne this weekend.  An old auto dealer whom apparently collected more cars than he sold is selling them this weekend, I don't know many details about it other than there are a lot of 50's to 60's vintage with only a mile or two on them.  History Channel is airing it tonight and tomorrow night (it's a 2 day auction) if anyone is interested.

sawguy21

I would like to know the history behind it. There are rusty dented hulks with close to zero miles and have never been registered.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

Sorry, don't have much for details but I do know there are people from around the world attending and the little town is very concerned about security and the amount of people coming from all over, you'd think living an hour or so away I'd know a little more  ::).  My neighbor bought a 1980 chevy pickup from him brand new and said there was a '50s model sitting on the lot, the wooden bed had rotted out and a tree was growing through it, the truck didn't even have a mile on it.  I'm anxious to see what history channel says about it.

beenthere

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/09/27/treasure-trove-vintage-cars-to-be-auctioned-in-nebraska/

This is where I read about the dealer who just closed his door one day and left everything sit. A good read and an interesting guy.
Apparently if the new cars didn't sell from his inventory, he just put them in storage.

A few pictures of the cars...

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lambrecht-auto-auction-classic-chevrolets-sale-pierce-ne-gallery-1.1469688
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

That's unreal. He must've been making good money to just be able to put brand new unsold cars in storage when the new model year came out and never sell them. It will be interesting to see what everything sells for.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

sandhills

Thanks for the links beenthere, watching it now.

terry f

Watching this auction is crazy, the prices people are paying for junkyard cars that don't run is unbelievable. Some people have more money than brains, but I didn't know there was that many.

Ron Wenrich

Is this the one?  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67482.0.html  We talked about it in June.

There was a car dealer that used to buy cars and just collect them.  There is a '56 Chevy with 10 miles on it, for example.  There's a 'Vette with plastic on the seats.  These are hardly junkyard cars.  Most were stored indoors.  I thought the sale was to be this weekend.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jimbarry

Maybe he didn't like offering a discount on year old cars, making everybody buy new :) Therefore he could afford to put away year old vehicles. Not all vehicles were complete, I seen a number of pics with hoods opened and no engines.

Mooseherder

The best part is when they get restored and we'll see them on the road again. :)

bama20a

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 29, 2013, 07:33:28 AM
The best part is when they get restored and we'll see them on the road again. :)
smiley_thumbsup.
Thats what I'm talking about. I did watch some of it last night,Couldn't believe the prices on some of them, Seen a ol' like new, ;D 57 chevy 4 door go for $40.000, Although it was in good shape it did need a lot of work, ::)
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Digging Fool

Enjoyed watching some of the sale on tv, but most of those old rusty trucks brought too much money, in my opinion. They still have to be restored, even with only a couple miles on them.

thecfarm

Just saw it on the world news. One Chevy brought $140,000. I am glad that some people have money.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

easymoney

i understand that some of the cars with just a few miles on them that was stored indoors may not be cleaned up. they will be left in the condition they are in now to be added to collections or shown at car shows like antiques that the value is diminished if they are restored.

thecfarm

That reminds me. There was an enginner at work that found an old Indian motorcyle. He fixed it up so he could run it,but did not clean off the 40-50 odd years of oil and dirt off it. It did look good just like that.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bama20a

I've noticed lately people are fixing up ol' rides & leaving surface rust on them,Guess it's the in thing now ::)Seen an old pick-up the other day with rust & it's been clear coated over it.

pineywoods

Dang, I think I just messed up. Sold my 1930 Ford pickup for pennies on the dollar according to those prices...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Corley5

Shiny paint and chrome don't make 'em run any better ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

terry f

I guess if farm fresh is in, then dry rotting in a field for 30-50 years was smart. PT Barnum would be proud of the people who did the marketing on this crazy auction. I didn't know a corvair or vega were rare classic cars.

bama20a

Quote from: Corley5 on September 30, 2013, 11:06:03 AM
Shiny paint and chrome don't make 'em run any better ;D :)
Thats what people use to say about all the chrome on my Harley ;D
But I'd say,Yep,But it looks good in the back of a pick-up. ;D ;D ;D

easymoney

the rusty beat up look is called a rat rod. i do not care much for that look myself. i recently rescued a 1978 datsun b210 from the junk yard. it is in surprisingly good shape for its age and has been setting since 05. it should get close to 40 mpg. i may drive it unrestored except mechanically.

Corley5

I like chrome on somebody else's bike/car/truck  :) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

Final tally was about $3 million in sales for over 500 cars.  Top ten in price:

1958 Chevrolet 3100 Cameo Pickup sold for $151,200
1963 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop Coupe sold for $105,300
1978 Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car Coupe sold for $86,400
1958 Chevrolet 3100 Apache Pickup sold for $86,400
1964 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop Coupe sold for $81,000
1965 Chevrolet Impala 396 Hardtop Coupe sold for $78,300
1960 Chevrolet 3100 Apache Pickup sold for $49,680
1965 Chevrolet Impala 396 Hardtop Coupe sold for $48,600
1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Coupe sold for $45,360
1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Coupe sold for $43,200

A lot of the cars weren't driveable, and they said prices settled down to reasonable levels after the good ones were gone.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!