iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pacific yew log

Started by redbeard, September 28, 2013, 07:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Love it when a log has a story. Owner of captianwhidbeyinn.com had this old pacific yew log that had died next to his 105 year old Inn. He wants to make a table to showcase in the fancy Restaurant. He was very pleased how the log turned out. This is the closest I have come to MM flaming box elder log. The Inn is a land mark on the island we live on its pretty cool if you want to search it.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

lineguy82

Those might be the coolest looking slabs I have ever seen!
95 chevy 4x4
Husky 562xp
Hardy H5
22T Countyline Splitter
...and hopefully a sawmill when the wife finishes college

thecfarm

WOW!! and one more WOW!!!.  I would almost eat a bowl of grits on that table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

haywire woodlot

I wonder how much it will fade?
Dave

drobertson

An amazing show of diversity, nice work!  He has to be very happy,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GAmillworker

That is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank the Lord for second chances

highleadtimber16

Quote from: haywire woodlot on September 28, 2013, 07:17:32 PM
I wonder how much it will fade?

The downside of yew wood. It looks great when first cut, but loses some of its colour after a while. I'm sure it'll still look great though. I love sawing yew! Very nice wood there! 
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

red oaks lumber

cfarm
the slabs are very nice but, not grit worthy. keep your composure man! :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

That will make some mighty fine woodwork in whatever it ends up.

Quotecaptianwhidbeyinn.com

Change that to captainwhidbey.com/ for a search and connect
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

theCfarm did get just a bit excited, for sure  :D.

I would love to get my hands on those slabs in my workshop. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I was exicited,but I did throw in "almost".  ;D  That keeps my options open.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

giant splinter

Redbeard,
Those are beautiful and it is certainly going to look great on display with what ever they make out of them ..... nice job on the milling they came out perfect.
roll with it

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ayerwood

Very cool slabs Redbeard.  Now I am on the hunt...   ;D

SwampDonkey

It's also pretty hard wood for a conifer to.  ;D I used to come across a few yew in BC, but they were small poles, nothing to saw. Nice looking wood. I'm sure you guys or the owner will make a nice table somehow.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

backwoods sawyer

Those are nice slabs with good color.
I  see quite a few yewwood go across my mill, but few that are sound and with good color.
My next milling job is about 20 yewwood logs and none look like they will show the color that your slabs show.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

KnotBB

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 29, 2013, 05:44:07 PM
It's also pretty hard wood for a conifer to.  ;D I used to come across a few yew in BC, but they were small poles, nothing to saw. Nice looking wood. I'm sure you guys or the owner will make a nice table somehow.  :)

Pacific Yew is probably the hardest conifer around.  Janka scale is 1600 where walnut is about 1100 and oak is around 1200.  Not the same as English yew but still a very desirable wood for bows.
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

mesquite buckeye

:o

Way cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!