iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It Seems As Tho............

Started by Burlkraft, September 27, 2013, 09:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I don't have good news every time I post these days.
Well...Yesterday was another one of those days.
My Golden Retriever, Rhino, went out yesterday morning and never came back. For those of you that don't know her she just had her 16th birthday last week. She was pretty deaf and blind and had some trouble getting around. She was a spry 16 too! It was so foggy here yesterday morning you could not see your hand in front of your face. She never wanders off but yesterday she decided to wander out to the road. My room mate's 5 year old was looking for her so he could brush her before he went to school. We couldn't find her anywhere. When the fog lifted I found her lying in the ditch. I saw the spot in the road and then the drag marks across the road to the ditch. There was no doubt that she died instantly. I was crushed. She was the best dog I've ever had. She loved the pig roast and did attend this year. She went to work with me every day but one. That day was July 10th, 1997. That was the day I had my major heart attack. She would go nuts by the door because she wanted to get to the truck and go to work. That day she would not come along. Turns out I didn't come back that day. She knew I wasn't coming home that day.
I have lost the only true love of my life. The day seems kind of empty today :'(

I'm having her cremated and now I need to turn and urn for her. As I look through my wood I just don't have a piece of bird's eye or curly maple big enough to make one.

What I'll need is a 10 X 10 X 20" good solid piece with lots of figure because......well she deserves it.
If anyone has something like that for sale please let me know.

Here's a couple of pics. She always dressed for parties and loved the snow. The last one is  pig roast shot with my x and Sprucebunny and Scooter

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

Real sorry to hear this Steve. Rhino was a cool dog.

Hope to see you next week at the Billarosa.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Also sorry to hear the sad news.
Gonna miss seeing Rhino as well as hearing about her new manipulating "trick" to guide Burlkraft in the direction she wanted him to go.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That is sad to hear. She had a great friend for 16 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Sorry to hear about Rhino Steve.  :(

Shotgun

Really sorry to learn about Rhino, Steve.  Our best to you.

Norm & Mary
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

LeeB

I am so sorry to hear this Steve. The loss of our four legged loved ones is just as real and just as painful as any other. My heart goes out to you my friend.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Out of all bad things people go through, losing a pet is sometimes the worst.
Prayers for ya Steve.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

Sorry Steve, I had the pleasure of petting her at the piggy roast and have some time with her. She knew where the treats where, one smart puppy. She will be missed.   :(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Autocar

Sorry to hear of your lose, we lost one of ours thre years ago and I swore I would never get another because it broke our hearts but here we have two now and not a day will go by they don't bring a smile to your face. Hang in there the pain will pass in time Bill.
Bill

Mooseherder

This was Rhino at the 2010 Pig Roast.  Friendly Feller. :)

Paul_H

Sorry about your friend ,Steve. We had a dog growing up that was a constant companion but when he got up around 15,started to fail.When ever we talked about putting him to sleep he would perk up for awhile but eventually he met a similar fate as Rhino.
He looks young in the pictures.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

thecfarm

My little Boo-Noo was part Golden. He had the same markings as Rhino.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

Linda and I also petted Rhino at the pig roast. He was very lovable and we understand your loss as well. He was a real cool doggie, hang in there.
Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mikerat

So sorry to hear that ,I would be lost without Jake.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

sprucebunny

I'm sorry for your loss, Steve. Rhino was a sweetie.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Rhino was a champ.  I am glad that I got to meet him.  You gave him a wonderful life, Steve. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kevin

I'm sorry to hear that Steve, they really are your best friend.

Qweaver

I'm so sorry for your loss.   It's the hardest part of making these love affairs with animals.  We love ours too.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Roxie

Steve, my heart goes out to you.  So hard to loose a good dog. 
Say when

goose63

Sorry to hear that Steve I don't know what I would with out my Hershey  :'( :(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandhills

Very sorry to hear about Rhino Steve, my old red heeler Rusty made it to 15, I know it's tuff.

scsmith42

Steve, I'm very sorry to hear about Rhino's loss, although at least it was quick. 

Our pets can really enrichen our lives, and it hurts when we lose them.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

customsawyer

Sorry to hear of your loss Steve. Thankful that I got to meet Rhino at this years pig roast.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

low_48

So sorry Steve. My 14 year old Lab/Golden mix is laying next to me right now. We are thinking about having her put down in a couple weeks. Bowl incontinence, falls down on slippery floors, can't get off the floor by herself most of the time, and has been falling down on any inclines in the yard. She had her rear right leg ACL repaired 5 years ago, and that leg is barely usable. That's her sitting behind the wheel of my van under my name. I've been grieving for weeks about it already, so have a lot of sympathy for you.
You don't need nearly that big of a piece of wood for the cremation urn. According to a pet cremation urn calculator on line, a 100 pound dog needs about 100 cubic inches, or about 7 cups capacity. A 5" cube gets you pretty close. I made one for my daughter, and used 1 1/2" pvc fittings for the threads. I bought the male and female threaded fittings, then trimmed and fit female threads inside the vessel and male threads over a tenon on a mushroom shaped lid. Epoxy used for gluing the threads to the wood, it worked out great!

Chuck White

It's always a sad story, no matter how it happens.

Dogs are just so dedicated to their "masters" that there is no truer love or devotion.

Really sorry to hear the news Steve.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Burlkraft

I need that big a piece because I have to make two.
My room mate's dog got trampled by her horse and he had to be put down.
2 dogs one 16 years old and the other 10 both dead in 4 days.
Her favorite cat has also disappeared.
I just can't believe it.....
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thecfarm

I can't either.  :(
Our cat,got at the same time as Boo-Boo has disappeared. Have not seen him for 5 days now. Common to be gone for 2,once in a while 3,but never more than 4. He is 13 years old,been fixed and have lived more outdoors than inside. Does not look good here.

OneWithWood

Steve, my condolences to both you and your roomie.
I remember how we felt for each of the pets we have lost over the years.  Each one was an individual that could not be replaced.  Our current lab, Jette, is as unique as any of the others but we still miss them all.
Linnea and I are thinking of you and yours this day.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

moosehunter

Steve,
Sorry to hear about Rhino, I enjoyed his company at the pig roast this year. :'(
Mike
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jtmccallum

John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

lynde37avery

sorry for your loss. I lost my k9 life partner a year ago Nov 5th.
Detroit WHAT?

stumpy

Hey Steve, Sorry for your loss.  I know it hurts cause I been there.  If you haven't found the wood ya need, come on down and look thru my supply.  You are welcome to have what ya need.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Left Coast Chris

My thoughts and prayers are going your way Steve.  Nothing can replace Rhino for sure but we are praying for better days to be on their way.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Jeff

I got a message wondering if I had missed this topic. I had not.  No fear, Steve and I are as close of friends as always. We have red phones with bat phone ringers for when ever we need to reach each other.  :)

Rhino was a great dog. I know what a lose this is for my friend simply by realizing that Icey is almost 8 years old already and I just can't imagine or bare to think about her not being around some day.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

QuoteI got a message wondering if I had missed this topic.

OhOh!  Someone is keeping track of who responds?  I'm in trouble.  :snowball:

I miss Rhino too, as she wasn't in the truck yesterday at lunch. Steve is doing ok, and we had a good lunch.
south central Wisconsin

rfm7fxfox

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It brought tears to my eyes thinking about my 5 year old lab who I love with all my heart. He's my best friend and I can't imagine losing him! Again I'm so sorry for your loss, I wish there was something I could say or do to take your pain away...such s horrible feeling!
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

clww

I'm truly sorry to hear of your best friend passing away, Steve.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!