iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill extensions

Started by Furu, September 25, 2013, 11:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furu

After much research and looking into which mill I am going to get I keep running into one question that I keep changing my mind on.

The question is do I want a mill extension that is longer than the standard 20 ft capability.  I know that everyone has different justifications and my are what mine are but I am looking to see how others respond.

Both TK and WM could be added on at a later date but the Cook's is a decision that has to be made before ordering the mill as it is integral.

For those of you that have been milling for a very long time how often do you have a need to cut longer than 20 ft?  I hope to turn this into a part time job in a couple of years.  Do folks come up very often with the desire for you to cut longer boards?  I can think of trailer flooring being one case and timbers for barn rafters being another.  If you only have a 20 ft capability do you wish you had more and have to turn customers away?

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. 

hackberry jake

I can saw 22'... I have sawn two 22' logs in the three years I have had the mill and I dont want to do it again. About 90% of the logs I cut are around 9' and thats how I like to keep it. Long logs have to be very straight to make anything but slabs. I have done a few 16' logs for trailer decking. I would be happy with having a max of 17'
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

giant splinter

Extensions are handy for other things as well as long boards and beams. You can have a couple things going at once, two logs if you need and even boards on the front end and shingles or siding on the tail end. I would like to have the 15 footer on my LT40 HD just for that sort of thing. I have cut 8X14X27 and 10X18X32 on mine without an extension but those beams take a lot of time and moving things around to get cut and would be very fast with an extension.
roll with it

redbeard

When comparing mills check for being able to move loader arms and toe boards out further so log handling is easier when doing long logs.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Furu

Quote from: redbeard on September 26, 2013, 12:02:49 AM
When comparing mills check for being able to move loader arms and toe boards out further so log handling is easier when doing long logs.

All very good recommendations. 
On the Cooks mill everything is/can be repositioned as well as having two log turners, 3 squaring arms and dog clamps versus the standard 2 each.  On the TK and WM I do not believe that things can be moved because the extensions are attachable and removable and not permanent.

Brucer

I started with the basic 21' mill. Every year I'd have to cut one or two timbers that were longer, using the "shuffle" method.

In my 5th year of operation I quoted a substantial job that included about 40 pieces that were 24 feet long. To get the job I had to supply everything, so I bought a 6' extension. I also did a couple of piece on that job that were longer than 27' but it wasn't worth going to a 12' extension just to do them. Back to the shuffle method.

The following year I quoted on a huge job that involved over 60 timbers more than 30' long. So I bought another 6' extension.

Since then I usually do half a dozen timbers each year that exceed the basic mill length. If you charge appropriately for over-length timbers (which you should), you can usually make decent money by shuffling the logs. But it gets to be a real pain when you are in full-blown production mode.

If I were to do it again, I would do exactly what I already did. Start with a standard mill and then extend it as necessary. Mind you, now that I've got the extra length I'm not about to give it up. The back of my business card says "lengths up to 32 feet" and that sets me a little apart form the competition, even when customers don't need the extra length ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

Going long will make you money. had a call on 38' timbers last night, his logs . I'm the only one around that can do it ;D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

When you have the ability and the word gets out then the customers come. I don't know why but it always seems to come in spurts.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Length is nice to have and cheapest if you start out with it on a new mill.You live in big timber country. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

Do you have, or are you interested in getting, the support equipment to handle the logs?  Room to work with them? As Bandmiller2 stated, you've got the logs for long timbers.  Handling them can be a lot of work, but if you check the price long timbers, you may find that it is worth it.  There are other mills out there you might consider.  I have a friend in Wisconsin that cuts 45' beams on a Norwood mill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

GAB

Furu:
If you purchase a W-M mill make sure you specify that you want one that an extension bed can be added to.  Some W-M mills have a cable tray on the side which limits the head travel.  (I'm going by 2005 info things may have changed).
I resawed some white oak for a Maritime Museum for the replanking of a boat or ship.  They were looking for someone to resaw 30' long timbers and I could only do 26' so they cut their lumber to fit my mill with the extension bed that I have.
Someone at W-M told me that they sold the U. S. Navy a mill with four 24' extensions to cut masts for a replica ship they were building or for restoring a ship.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

I suppose you mean by 20 ft capability.you mean only able to cut 16 foot logs.I have a manual mill that will cut 20 foot logs. I'm always saying get it long.  I have never cut a 20 footer,but what I did not know when I bought the mill,it allows more room to put a 16 foot log on. I have 4 feet to spare instead of inches. I can also get the head right out of the working area too, My convenience  and aggravation is worth something.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Furu

Quote from: thecfarm on September 26, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
I suppose you mean by 20 ft capability.you mean only able to cut 16 foot logs.I have a manual mill that will cut 20 foot logs. I'm always saying get it long.  I have never cut a 20 footer,but what I did not know when I bought the mill,it allows more room to put a 16 foot log on. I have 4 feet to spare instead of inches. I can also get the head right out of the working area too, My convenience  and aggravation is worth something.  ;D

No.  I mean to cut a 20 ft log with 20 ft lumber not 16 ft logs.
The extra space required for the head is not in the quoted capability.  I said 20 ft as that was the worst case of the three mills that I am looking at. 21 ft log capability is the quoted number but there are always end wastes.

Furu

Quote from: dboyt on September 26, 2013, 07:17:11 AM
Do you have, or are you interested in getting, the support equipment to handle the logs?  Room to work with them? As Bandmiller2 stated, you've got the logs for long timbers.  Handling them can be a lot of work, but if you check the price long timbers, you may find that it is worth it.  There are other mills out there you might consider.  I have a friend in Wisconsin that cuts 45' beams on a Norwood mill.

I have most of the support equipment but some roller tables are on the future horizon for handling lumber between the sawing and stacking stages.

OffGrid973

I just picked up 5 logs from my neighbor abd they are 12+ ft x 20'' and my woodmizer lt10 can rip a good ten footer with the two beds it came with...starting to make my first lap siding to build my 20' x 10' shed....so far I haven't spent the extra 395 for another extension, but may drive out to WM in PA next month and throw one in the truck.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Peter Drouin

Good idea. Get 2 , you will never regret it  :D handy sometimes ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

Quote from: customsawyer on September 26, 2013, 06:38:48 AM
... I don't know why but it always seems to come in spurts.

I've noticed the same thing ??? ???.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Banjo picker

Hello there Furu... You have gotten a lot of good info from these guys..  Been a while since we talked.  I almost never cut short stuff.  8' or 9'   I guess its like Jake said. Word gets out about being able to cut the long stuff.  I get a little bit more per bf than some around here , and I guess they get the short stuff.  But the bf rack up a lot quicker with longer boards.  With roller tables it is not that much of a problem.

Cfarm made a good point as well about having the extra room on the bed.  If you are only cutting 16' stuff and you got 24' of bed , you don't have to place it just so to make the cut.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

barbender

I'm told the WM LT40 will  cut 21', but that has to be perfectly positioned. I've cut a few 20' logs and things get tight. If I had an LT30 I'd feel crowded all the time. Are you looking for a manual or hydraulic mill? If manual, I would look at an LT15, they would be the easiest to add extensions to, you could even build your own fairly easily.
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on September 28, 2013, 02:19:35 PM
I'm told the WM LT40 will  cut 21'.

It will. Make sure your log has square ends. Take the rubber bumpers off each end of the mill.
Go slow and check and recheck your log position before sawing.
I have done it a few times.....not my favorite.....but will again for sure.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 28, 2013, 05:18:27 PM
Quote from: barbender on September 28, 2013, 02:19:35 PM
I'm told the WM LT40 will  cut 21'.

It will. Make sure your log has square ends. Take the rubber bumpers off each end of the mill.
Go slow and check and recheck your log position before sawing.
I have done it a few times.....not my favorite.....but will again for sure.  :)
That's why I just tell folks mine will saw 20' ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

Well, based on past discussions, I'm building my mill with two 16' and one 7' bed pieces (actually, a 16', 16'-8" and 6'-8") for a total of 39'-4" yielding about 35' of cutting capacity.  I have the need to cut ten 30-32' beams and a slew of 24' 2x10 floor joists and 22' 5x9 rafters.  I figure I can use the 8' extension when I need the little bit more then the 16'.  The reason for the 16' is the "scrap" pieces of tube off a 20' section I used for the cross pieces.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

47sawdust

Somewhere on the forum there is an Lt15 with a lot of track and a clever log turner that can travel on the same track.If a stationary mill suits your needs it worth a look.Very impressive set-up from another talented member of this forum
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

elk42

FURU longer is better. Here is a few photos of my stationary Lt 15/25 Hp.
     You can check out photo gallery. PM me if you like to.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Elk42, I have to commend you. You really have a nice set up.  smiley_thumbsup
Everything looks NEAT.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!