iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading forks on a skidder ?

Started by Atlantic Trader, September 24, 2013, 05:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Trader

Has anyone ever made or seen a set of forks for the dozer blade of a skidder?

I want to make a set to use to load random length hardwood onto a rack for a firewood processer.

Iam still sizing it up, will there be enough lift height to get the logs onto the rack?

Would the lift be enough i think so.

How to build the rack so the dozer blade could be moved in and lowered to release the wood onto the rack.

How to attach the forks to the blade.

A picture of one would be great, or any suggestions pro or con would be appreciated.

Maine372

I think lift height will be problem. pettibone master 5 skidders had a front end loader in place of the blade, I assume you could make pin on forks. ive also seen a 440b JD that with a loader added. I think that would be your best move. then you could have a front bucket and forks.

thenorthman

When I brought my 440a home it had some rednecked loader/bucket thing on it, they where using it to both load logs and move dirt...

They drilled a couple holes and pinned the whole works on to the bottom of the blade then used a couple of chains to hold the top in place.  I imagine that once they had the load in place they unhooked the chains and lifted the blade to "dump" the logs or dirt.  Not sure how well it worked, its scrap iron now.  (they have these things called a self loader...)

I would be concerned about tipping more than anything, wouldn't take much to make a skidder roll with that much weight off the back wheels, but for firewood It wouldn't be so bad...  However you'll probably only get 4-5' of lift with it.

I still have it buried out by the forge, its missing a few parts (needed to make some spring boards) but you'll get the gist...  Its getting dark now so I'll try and get some pics tomorrow or at least by friday.
well that didn't work

celliott

I'd think the front end loader on a tractor would be much easier. Or instead of a skidder, just get a forwarder, and use the loader!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Rick Alger

A few years back there was a picture and a short article on a Timberjack with a front end loader in the Sawlog Bulletin. My copy has gone up in smoke long ago, but I think I remember the article said it was  factory built.

John Woodworth

I've loaded my sawmill for the 33 years I've had it with pin on fork lift forks on my garrett 10 and it does everything I need to do and haniing a counterweight on back has pick up some good sized logs, however this works well for me, is simple to remove, to build a leveling and dumping setup could be done but I think you would be defeating the purpose and would be better off looking for somethingwith a loader already on it.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Atlantic Trader

Thanks for all the input guys, iam a one man firewood operation, thinking about expanding into a small processor. I have a skidder, but no loader, i had a forwarder, but no longer. Most likely i will look for a loader i can attach to a trailer and have it run off a 13-15 hp engine. I want to keep the costs down, that was why i was thinking of trying to use the skidder to load the logs onto the rack, it just me so i can only use one piece of equipment at a time. Load up a few cords on the rack and run it through, that kinda idea.

beenthere

QuoteHas anyone ever made or seen a set of forks for the dozer blade of a skidder?

Which skidder do you have? Any pics of it?

Do you have extra hydraulic connects for an extra cylinder?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

What about an old truck and loader that isn't roadworthy anymore? I've seen some for sale cheap.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Atlantic Trader

The machine is a TJ 380B. I was looking around and have a line on a Patu log loader.

Thank You Sponsors!