iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meat for the year

Started by justallan1, September 22, 2013, 08:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I got a call last night from the bosses son that he got me a nice bull elk. He's a great kid and lives to hunt.
I just can't say enough about their whole family, they make it real easy to do that extra bit around the ranch.
Allan

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

wow, that's a nice bull!  What will it weigh?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

justallan1

I haven't seen him yet. The boss and his son dressed him out and hung him last night and I'm about to go get him and take him to the meat cutter right now.

Allan

drobertson

Nice! I see some steaks in the near future,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Axe Handle Hound

I am officially jealous of the man.  Looks like a 5X6, but maybe there's another point hiding back there in the darkness?   I know I'd be pleased as could be with that one. 

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

Nice bull nothing better to eat, great job !
Bill

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ND rancher

TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

justallan1

What a great day, any way you look at it.
I went to pick up this elk and helped the bosses son skin it. A buddy of theirs got one also, so we took the both of them to the meat cutter in the next county over. Came back and helped the boss haul his own cows home. Before leaving he asked if I still had any honey at my place and gave me a whole case of it.
I really can't say enough about these folks.
I think elk is quite possibly my favorite meat, Heck, the boss gave me probably 60 lbs of beef burger and steaks a couple months ago and I still have most of it.
Keith, come on over, or when your heading to the sisters drop on by.
Allan

This is the young man who shot the bull. He got him at 25 yards! I have never bow hunted, but that's close in my mind.

rooster 58

Wow! I'm going to New Mexico in 3 1/2 weeks to hunt one of them thar critters. I sure hope I run across one like that 8)

Magicman

That's a very nice bull and thanks for the pictures.

Marty and I leave for his hunt three weeks from today.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Axe Handle Hound

Allan- are you anywhere near the Ekalaka area?  I hunted antelope over there a while back and found nearly everyone I talked to was friendly and accomodating.  Even got invited to dinner by one of the local landowners and had a good time visiting with him and his wife. 

thecfarm

I hope that Magicman and son see one like that.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

I've never had the chance to hunt elk but if I did I'd be tickled pink just to see one like that, let alone get him.  Very nice!

Tim Lea

That will be some good eating.

justallan1

Axe Handle Hound, I believe I'm about 150 miles to the west of Ekalaka, But have never been there myself.
Wishing all you guys the best of luck on your hunts.

Allan

Al_Smith

I have never seen a bull elk in the wild although I've heard them bugle .Seen a lot of cows though .From the back sides you'd swear they have a butt the size of a Georgia mule .

justallan1

I got a few pictures of this one the other morning on the way across the ranch. For size comparison that is a plenty wide two lane road. I've passed a truck right there with the big farm tractor pulling a tool bar.

beenthere

That's a beast. Great pics, thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Yum yum good eatin for a long time.
Makes me wish I had applied for Wy tags this year.
This is the first year i have missed going west since 2007.
Have been lucky enough to have shot 2 bulls both good eating and 2 cows of 7 plus yrs according to biologists both so tough you couldn't cut the gravy.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

A very nice picture. Talk about having the camera ready. None of them here in Maine.

justallan1

When I'm in my truck the camera lives on the console, the rest of the time it's in my pocket or on my belt unless I'm turning wrenches or working cows.
Pete, last years was a bit tough, but it will make great burger or jerky.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. The bosses son gets me an elk because he loves to hunt and then I pay the meat cutter with deer and elk sheds that I find.

Allan

petefrom bearswamp

Hi Allan
Tough or not the hunting adventure to me is the thing but the eating is good too.
I process all of my wild critters myself even when west.
I take a small freezer along which makes transportation nice.
Good luck to all of you guys heading west.
I still have a few packages of last years cow in the freezer along with some speed goat and whitetail.
Deer hunting starts for me on Oct 18th with the opener of northern zone of NY muzzle loader season.
Have been near your location at the Little Bighorn battlefield only once, but love to get west.
Spectacular country.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!