iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber in the Grand Rapis area.

Started by crashkey, January 29, 2002, 06:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashkey

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question about where to buy from in the Grand Rapids area.  

First, I am looking for some 4/4 and 6/4 rough sawn white oak.  Where is a good place to buy and what kind of prices can I expect?  

Second, do most of the sawmills in the area dry their own wood, or do I have to take care of that myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CHARLIE

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Crashkey!  You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable Sawyers and Foresters here.  I'm not from Michigan so I can't help you with your question. I just wanted to welcome you.
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Crashkey, my answer depends on how much lumber your looking for. If your looking for quantity I have some wholesale names for you, and if your looking for hobby amounts I have one place I am thinking of.

As for weather mills sell dried lumber, that;s like asking a stranger if he has kids. Yes, No, I goona have, use to have, Let me tell ya about em!!
Depends on the producer, as a rule the lions share do not.

I just finished a big website for a Grand Rapids Lumber wholesaler/importer/exporter.

Oh, Welcome!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crashkey

Jeff,
At this point I am just looking for hobby amounts.  I wish I could buy wholesale amounts, but I have no place to store that kind of volume.  Anyway any help you could give me would be welcomed.  Thanks.
Dennis

Jeff

These are retail outlets. They stock all kinds of hardwoods and exotics. A lot of school shops get thier wood there.

L.L. Johnson Lumber Manufacturing Co.
Johnson's Workbench
563 North Cochran Avenue
Charlotte, MI 48813
800-292-5937
517-543-1660
Toll Free Fax 888-258-5914
Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30
Saturday 8:30-4:00

Johnson's Workbench
1038 Burton SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49509
616-245-9545
Fax 616-245-9546
Monday-Friday 8:30-5:30
Saturday 8:30-4:00

Jeff

Dennis, one of the members of my other site the Timber Buyers network sells small lots of lumber if I recall correctly.

You can contact them online to ask what they have in stock.

Bill Ross & Son

Services and Products
Sawdust, Woodchips, Custom sawing, Trucking & Pallets, Flooring & Trim Wood, Logging, and Buyers of Timber & Logs.

Another member of TBN that may have just what you need is

Buskirk lumber
Both of these should be close enough for you. If you don't care about the distance, try www.timberbuyer.net/buyersearch.htm to find more companies in MI

The wholesale site I just completed will not sell retail small lots. But we did make them a pretty neat site at www.budres.com

Thank You Sponsors!