iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new toy

Started by justallan1, September 19, 2013, 08:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I found this lathe local for just over 25% of the new price, so figured I could wait until winter to build the bigger one for the shop.
This little thing came with everything needed to make pens and pencils, so I had to try one and am impressed with the outcome.
Looks like everyone is getting pens and pencils for Christmas. ;D
Where would you all recommend for pen/pencil kits in lots of 50?
Have a great evening.

Allan

jueston

i have a similar sized lathe, and i really enjoy turning small things.

if you want to make lots of pens, you should talk to busy beaver lumber and mrs beaver. they make a lot of pens and would be able to advise you.

hardtailjohn

One thing I've learned about lathes.... no matter if it's wood or metal, you can't have too many of different sizes! I like it Allan!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Farmerjw

I teach woodturning at school.  We use woodturningz.com a lot.  Also, Ernie and his wife over at Beartoothwoods.com are great people.  These two sites really have over the years been accommodating to my students and get the orders out quickly so there is less to no down time.  Congrats on a new hobby.  Woodworking on a lathe is instant gratification.  You have just entered the vortex!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

justallan1

Thanks guys.
The last time I used a wood lathe was in about the seventh grade. I've used all shapes and sizes of metal lathes, turret lathes and cnc's and at first it sure seemed weird to not be turning a knob or just pushing a button and watching it go, but it's also very nice to just do what I want and see what I end up with. I may have to buy an alarm clock though, to tell me when to quit and hit the sack.

Allan

downsouth

Nice find.
  Yes they are hard to walk away from!

Thank You Sponsors!