iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The America's cup

Started by Qweaver, September 19, 2013, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've been a sailor for most of my life and I would have never believed that sailboats would be going at 3 times wind speed downwind.  The Kiwis have really shown everyone else how to sail these monsters.  The USA is still hanging in there but the 2 race penalty is pure nonsense.  How can you punish the 72s for what happened with the 45s?  But no matter who wins, these boats and crews are awesome.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dgdrls

"Mahoe Sawmills

Sep 13

Hi There,

The America's Cup is so exciting with New Zealand doing really well against the USA in San Fransisco.

Congratulations to Team New Zealand for their dedicated commitment into developing the technology into the AC17 boat and their team work.

Keep up the good work, the race isn't won yet!

This morning's television commentary thanked Hydraulink , a local New Zealand, company for supplying the hydraulics and complemented them on their products reliability.

Hydralink is the company that has supplied the hydraulics in our Supermill for over

25 years.

This is the latest Supermill in the new shed built for test running sawmills.

The next shows are Poverty Bay A & P Show in Gisborne 18th and 19th of October and the Hawkes Bay A & P Show 23rd, 24th and 25th of October 2013.

Please email me back if you would like to know more about our products or next year's shows.

Yours sincerely

Stephanie Bergman"

Received this from Mahoe mail server.

I agree those are some DanG fast boats!!

DGDrls

Ianab

Gets a fair bit of coverage here in NZ as sailing is one of the national sports.  :D

The technology in those boats is pretty amazing, as is the skill it takes to sail them. Those tacks and jibes, while keeping the cat up on the hydrofoils are amazing. 

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Leigh Family Farm

If my son was born, I would have been out there on the water spectating. Two of my friends, both avid sailors, wqere able to get out there and see some of the races last week. I do hope the US pulls a win.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Qweaver

Whee!  We just dodged a bullit there on race 12!   I hope the wind is up for the next race.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Well, the wind was up and the US won.  It would be a class move from the Kiwis to give the US the 2 penalties back and make a fair race out of it.  Those penalties were pure non-sense.  You don't penalize a pro team for what was done in the farm team  or a pro football team for what the players did in college.  The Kiwis have a great boat and team,  but let's not give them a 2 race advantage.  What happened with the 45' boats has nothing to do with the 72' boats in the Am Cup.

Ianab

News this morning.

There's a Whale on the course.  :D

Just when you think there isn't much else that could hold up the racing, along comes a whale  :D ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Leigh Family Farm

imagine hitting one of those while going 40 knots! And also, its gray whale migrating season I think so where there is one, there is 10.

Qweaver

The US team has convincingly won the last two races.  This makes the two point penalty even more absurd.  But if the US continues to win and only loses by 2 races...the Kiwi win will be pretty hollow.  These are two great teams and boats, let them stand on even footing.  I've been a competitor all my life and I could not accept a win under these conditions.  Shame on the jury that handed down this verdict.

Qweaver

The US team wins again.  It's actually 8 to 8,  But the US still has to win 3 more.

Qweaver

Now the count is US 9 wins, Kiwis 8 wins and yet the US still has to win 2 more because of the penalty.  In my mind the US team has won...I don't care what the stupid jury said!

OK, another win for the US.  Whoever wins the next race is the champ.

dgdrls

Its getting good now!.

DGDrls

drobertson

Is there any tv coverage of the event?    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Qweaver

NBC sports airs it live starting at 4:00 pm ET.  It's also on YouTube as a replay about two hours after the end of racing.  We have watched every day for weeks now.  The winds may be too high today.  I'll tune in just in case.

Leigh Family Farm

Winds are projected to be 22+ knots, which is typical for this time of year, but that speed would turn the boats into airplanes! If you can't get NBC Sports, try online because I think they are going to stream the race on their website.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Team Oracle, (The US team) pulled out one amazing come back!

USA won and the America's Cup stays in the states
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Qweaver

I'm happy that the US won but the body that writes and enforces the rules nearly ruined this race series.  The Kiwis had two races taken away from them by the time limit and wind speed rules.  The cup would be heading to NZ if not for the 40 minute rule.   What a stupid rule. 
Well done by both teams...shame on the governing body.

T Welsh

I like anybody that races anything ;D The technology of these boats blows my mind! Carbon fiber everything, Titanium this and that,then comes testing and hydro dynamics. I loved every minute that I watched the races. Rules are rules and they make or break you in racing,but everybody is in the same boat (no pun intended). Those boats are literally flying through the water. Great to see Americans stay on top! Tim

GrahamW

I have still to watch the last race but the previous 2 were fascinating.  Superb boats and engineering and the way Team Oracle upped their performance was amazing  - wonder what the really did.

Notice I did not say Team USA, in the end there were no Americans on boat, well done Sir Ben Ainslie. :)

regards

Graham

Jamie_C

As i was channel surfing yesterday i heard the announcers lament about the lack of Americans on the American team, thought it was kinda odd but it is indeed true.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/25/americas-cup-oracle-team-usa-comeback

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Was watching the box the other day and they discussed why Oracle suddenly got faster.

Seems they fitted a new "stability control system" part way though. Totally legal and everything. But what it does is adjust the foils automatically depending on the speeds and angles of the boat. This allowed them to tack and turn easier without looking as much boat speed. The NZ boat still had manual controls and it was trickier to keep the speed up in the turns. Gain a  couple of seconds on every tack, and at the end of the race it's enough to put you in front.

The kicker, the unit was designed and built in NZ  :D

Qweaver

I hate to see the races end.  This was the most exciting sailboat racing ever done.  Not being able to sail in WV is the only thing that I hate about selling our place in Texas and moving back to the hills.  We are committed to finding a way to sail the Great Lakes and eastern coastal bays on a regular basis.

Thank You Sponsors!