iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoker electric or propane

Started by Stephen1, September 19, 2013, 02:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have been wanting a smoker for a while now. I just returned from the Prince Rupert BC, was working then went on a fishing trip. I brought home a whack of salmon and halibut.
Time for a smoker.
The question, is there a difference between electric or propane, or is just a preference?
Cheers
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Not considering wood?  or charcoal?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

Addressing electric or propane, I've had both and prefer propane.  Smoking time on electric can be very lengthy, whereas most propane ones can smoke nicely and heat up high enough to be a hot roasting oven.  I have the propane type with a wood chip box and a water bowl that puts moisture back in as the heat sucks it out!  I use rosemary, woody thyme and sage from the garden in the smoker box.  Makes for a nice light smoke flavor on fish and fowl.  Smoking time will vary according to outside temp, the colder it is, the easier to keep the chip box smoking at a lower temp (220 ish) and longer cooking time.  On a separate thread, temps of the meat when done were discussed.  The water bowl is handy-when the liquid clears up-the meat is done.  Of course you'll never duplicate the "bark" of a full on wood/charcoal smoker.

Stephen1

I have been around an electric, and a friend mentioned gas. I would probably be smoking here in the city on a roof top patio of my town house.  It seems any amount of time spent at the lake or sugarbush is filled up doing projects.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Raider Bill

I have had a Cookshack electric for years. Hands down the best smoker I've seen. Just a couple oz's of wood and in 3 hrs I'll give you falling off the bone ribs every single time. Brisket is moist nothing dries out. With the remote I can fill it up then go to bed and monitor temps although it's never ever wavered in temp.
The air intake and exhaust hole is maybe 3/4 inch. No dampers, flareups or moisture loss.

It takes the romance out of sitting around feeding a smoke fire all night but compared to having perfect BBQ every time it well worth it.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Shotgun

Nice job Raider Bill, both times.   ;D       You really did a nice job.  Looks good.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Stephen1

That looks real nice, almost good enough to eat.

Mooseherder

I'm sold Bill.  I'll be needing one of those. ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wildbill

im still hoping Raider Bill upgrades that old electric smoker :)
Raider Bill's favorite son

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Man oh man! just what I needed to see this morning!  Friday night football and now planning something to cook,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

After seeing that,I have a roadtrip planned.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Well this is not electric or gas, just the only way I have now, it works, and thanks to raiderbill, I had only one option for the night, I just hate this, not prime rib, but a poor man's prime rib,  should be done around six,  love the smoke,   david

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Weekend_Sawyer

Personally I like charcoal, but, I spent Memorial day weekend with some friends and we used his Masterbuilt electric smoker all weekend with great success. We made a beef roast, pork ribs, pork shoulder and the best was a blade in venison shoulder. Wow was that good!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

5quarter

Weekend Sawyer...Gonna have to change yer name to Weekend Chef... ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

coxy

wish I could get mine to look half as good as those mine over done or raw   :'(

drobertson

Pick up a good oven thermometer and a good temp probe,  and try not to cook to fast,  the pork I  keep at around 300, 25min/pound,    david

sbishop

Eh Steve...how's it going?

i've got a propane one..love it...give your Mike a call....he's smoked salmon is awesome!

Give me a call sometime if you want to discuss smokers..or anything else!!  :D

sbishop

Weekend_Sawyer

So, what did you come up with?

Mouth watering results I hope!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Oregon_Grown

We bought a Masterbuilt about 2 years ago.  It's electric and I love it.  I mostly smoke pork ribs in it, but we have smoked both beef and pork roasts, salmon a lot and chicken once.  The chicken yah got to flop on the bbq to get the skin crisp.  I actually use the smoker more than I thought I would.
Life is what you make of it!  Better half is Gologit.

luvmexfood

I had a cheap electric charbroil that I had used for years. Just run out in yard with small bow saw, cut me a limb off of a maple or apple and was in business.

My previous employer, an airport would have a cook-out for all employees and tenant employees once a year. Around 150 people minimum. We would grill hamburgers and hotdogs and a couple of years I smoked around 40 pounds of pork butt. If it would fit on the smoker I would smoke it. For the ocassional smoker not wanting to invest a lot of money it did the job well. Plug it in, add wood, maybe some apple juice, and spices in the water pan and good to go. Never had a complaint. But not a lot of people complain about free food. If they did they were reminded they didn't have to come back next year.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thurlow

I REALLY recommend building your own;   I mostly use charcoal, though I've been known to use a little fruitwood or hickory or pecan...........You could build a small one

or a larger one

but I recommend both...................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Stephen1

Well I scrounged a used electric. So far so good. I walk the dog with a small hand saw and cut branches off of the sugar maple, and apple trees on the path. It is working okay. Need to practise to get it right. My first batch , it was to hot as it curled up the salmon. But it turned out edible, and I pack it in my lunch.

ancjr

I liked the electric kettle type that I had.  It gave a better flavor than the propane one I have now.  The downside to the electric one was having to partially disassemble it to reload it with wood, and it was pretty small.  The propane is larger, easier to operate and maintain, can regulate the temperature.  It's still not a night and day difference between the two as far as results.

Thank You Sponsors!