iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on international skidders

Started by logman81, September 19, 2013, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

A friend of mine is interested in a international skidder, it is either a s7 or s8 not sure how to tell. I'm looking to get some info on them, are they good skidders? From what I know it has newly rebuilt engine not sure what it has. It has a gearmatic winch I think the 119? Any info would help were planning on going to look at it this Sunday.
Precision Firewood & Logging

treeslayer2003

hey, I have an s8 international with a 358 IH diesel and 4 speed powershift. I love that ol skidder. the older s7s may have Detroit power and manual transmission so they are really a different animal. parts specific to them, komatsu may be able to get you. the gearmatic can give trouble with the bands but since they are found on cat and timberjack as well you can get parts for them.

logman81

Thank you this is a. '79 model year, I think it is a s8 but I'm not to sure.

thecfarm

This is a S7. Probably youtube might help too.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

logman81

I think it is a s8, he is having second thoughts about it though.

barbender

That looks like a delimbing modification on that blade ;)
Too many irons in the fire

bushmechanic

I wouldn't mind a S8 because they had the same running gear as a C5 Tree farmer. Usually a 353 Detroit Diesel engine, New Process four speed transmission, Cotta transfer case, and Rockwell differentials. Parts for those are still common to find but the older S7 machines are more difficult to source.

BHC

i have a 78 s8 with a 353 Detroit, funk auto trans, and Rockwell rear ends,  gearomatic winch, S8 A's had the IH motor but the same tran's and running gear, they seem to have a lot more power, and course were newer machine's. I run quite a few of them over the years and do like them. Ihave not run mine for a while and have planed on rebuilding it from end to end, as i have a newer c5d i work, Even though it the same motor, as the IH, i think the power-shift allows for a heavier twitch of wood.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

treeslayer2003

BHC, where do you get parts for your funk? I need a charge pump or kit.

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

BHC

I know there was a place in south portland maine that rebuilt them one for us in the past, but that been a while since we had one done. we never really had much problem with the trans, rebuilt a lot of 353's though.  I will ask a few people i know, about getting parts, i know the IH and ford farm tractor dealer down in unity (Ingraham) i think who told me i could get about any part through them that i needed. I haven't run mine in a few years and had planed on rebuilding it and guess i ought to at lest look into it a bit.

thecfarm

BHC,that's why I did not know where Wytopitlock is. I don't get up to Aroostook County to often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

Quote from: smwwoody on October 04, 2013, 11:39:30 AM
Funk is part of John Deere
yes it is, you ever tried to get something for an IH at deere dealer? they about want to fight.

/

BHC

Quote from: thecfarm on October 04, 2013, 07:31:11 PM
BHC,that's why I did not know where Wytopitlock is. I don't get up to Aroostook County to often.

I know where chesterville is though, and cut wood jobbing for John Gilbert, there in winter of 94 or 95, back when you could job with a chain saw and a cable skidder.

thecfarm

BHC

my dad was from up this way, and after growing up cutting wood i kinda though guiding hunters was better than cutting wood, and still do to some extent, and have a bunch of camps here and in silver ridge, where i guide bear hunters, mostly. Cut a lot of wood in central maine though and have a lot of relatives in the belgrade and augusta area, one uncle lives in Fayette.

thecfarm

I live on the Chesterville,Fayette line. Pay taxes in two towns. Guiding.I have a stepson just getting into that. He loves to hunt.

ttwitchell12

this is just the topic I have been looking for.. I am going to look at an international s8 not sure of the year gearomtic winch, international diesel and the funk auto. the guy repined the axles, rebuilt the winch, sandblasted and painted the machine. new chains 2 new tires 5 years ago. made one hitch with it and lost a rod bearing shut it off in the middle of the trail and walked away, hasn't looked at it since... he is asking and unreal low price, figured with a bottom end job it would be a nice spare incase anything happens to my 230. my question is... Can anyone tell me how to release the funk auto so I can drag it out of the woods. the owner said it takes 3 bolts and cant remember anything else. any help is greatly appreciated!

treeslayer2003

yea, he is right. on the back bottom of the trans, ya tighten up three bolts to push the brake spring off. I can look in my manual if it gives ya trouble. if it the 358 or 361 they are tractor engines and you should be able to find parts. if you get her going it will pull twice what yer 230 will.

ttwitchell12

any input on fuel compared to the 230 with a 353? i used to run a 518 cat and it was pulling machine to say the least but it burned 3 times the fuel of my 230. and i dont really care if i have to do a full rebuild of that motor he is asking less than 3g's for the skidder. and says other than the rod bearings its ready to pull wood.

BHC

I don't think it will pull 2x as much as a 230, (which is pretty close to a c5) but a bit more and easier, and faster, with the power shift. I know running my s8 with a 353, i was burning more fuel than my c5 same motor, was also pulling more wood. I really don't remember the IH motors burning more fuel that the 353's but it been a while, and back then off road was cheap way less than a $1 so it really did not make much difference.

treeslayer2003

my s8 [358] burns no more than my 664 clark but will pull a bit more. much more than my 540. it will pull with my 666 but got to keep her straight. they are over powered for their size so you can break an axle by overloading. do you know what engine it has?

exSW

If that machine has a 358 in it that is a German built IH and one hell of an engine BUT getting pricey to major and you don't even want to ask about pump and injectors.But thats a lot of horse for a skidder.
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

ttwitchell12

not sure exactly what the motor is. its an international motor thow. certainly not a detroit

Thank You Sponsors!