iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Borate Product You Probably Don't know about.

Started by matteusz, September 17, 2013, 10:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matteusz

Have been reading lots of great information on this forum and really appreciate the efforts you all put into sharing what you know. Been looking for a wood treatment to prevent carpenter ants and powder post beetles as they are prolific in my neck of the woods.

Found this stuff:

http://boarddefense.com/index.html

And bought it for a song from these guys:

http://www.incidetech.net/contact.html

Am in no way associated with these companies and just passing the referal along in the hopes that it helps someone else.

I don't know if they will sell directly to individuals or not but I imagine placing an order won't be too hard. Since it is so similar to Timbor (but was about %50 cheaper) and I see that lots of people are using it thought that an alternative product would be helpful. Was about to cook up a batch of my own Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate when I found this stuff. Found other's recipe's and instructions and understand this is much better for treating wood than 20 mule borax plus no cooking involved! Now to go find a thread with instructions on how much to use on alder and fir beams and learn how to stack and sticker this stuff!

beenthere

matt
Tell us a bit about what your previous experience has been with the carpenter ants (they eat rotten wood) and powder post beetles.  And where is your "neck of the woods" ?

Where did you find the board defense, and what has been your experience with it and for how long has it worked for you?

Lots of questions, and mean no offense, but do need some more info as to where you are coming from.
In commercial lumber business, hobby, or some other business?

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

matteusz

I am in the south Puget Sound region near Tacoma WA. The carpenter ants were eating rotten/ wet wood in several places around the 1920 farm house we bought and are in process of renovating. I bought the board defense to treat the lumber in the house before I close the walls up. Also to keep em out of the wood I am stacking. Just had it milled and have lots of alder, some fir and a bit of white pine.

I found it online and see that the formula is the same as timbor. Have not yet used it.

Powder post beetles have been problematic in wet wood nearby as well. A friend cut down some fir and they were in the stumps within a couple weeks.

This is my first foray into cutting lumber and drying it. Needed some trees cut down and decided I'd rather be distracted with cutting some wood than give it away for nothing or cut it up for firewood.

beenthere

matt
See this post in the other thread you posted in for some good info about Board Defense

QuoteThis Board Defense stuff is the same as Timbor and Solubor.  Exactly the same except for the price.  Board Defense is $50 for 10 pounds.  That is $5 per pound.  Solubor is $50 for 50 pounds.  That is $1.00 per pound.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!