iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunter Safety Course

Started by Corley5, September 17, 2013, 07:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Last weekend Zach, whose eleven now  :o, and I took Michigan's Hunter Safety course.  It's a requirement to purchase a hunting license here in Michigan and most other states I've been told.  I took it about 32 years ago and have no idea where my certificate is so rather than dumping Zach off to take it on his own I took it too.  Most parents did just drop their kids off and leave which was acceptable.  We were in class from 8-5 Saturday and the class would have run until 5PM Sunday but it rained so the orienteering and muzzle loader shoot was cancelled and we got done about 3:30.  We had a really good time.  Zach did very well with the .22 and bow.  He had a bit of trouble with shotgun.  We'll have to work on that  ;) :).  He scored a 90% on the test at the end  8) 8) 8) 8)  I got all ten shots in the ten ring with the .22.  It was a target model Savage bolt action with Williams target peep sights.  Nice little rifle.  I learned something with the bows too  8) 8)  I'm right handed and left eye dominant.  It's always been an issue with handguns and shooting flying targets with a shotgun.  My reflex is to sight with my left eye while holding the instrument right handed.  I tried using a bow when I was kid but it was taking longer to master it than I had patience for  ;) ;D so I dropped it.    I caught myself sighting with my left eye with a right handed bow at the class and made a comment about it to the instructor.  He told me I really should try shooting a left handed bow.  He had to talk me into  it and prevailed  :D ;D  After six arrows I had my aim point and the next six were all fairly close to the center of the target with one being a bullseye  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  I need to try shooting a handgun left handed now :)  I got one out of three clay pigeons on the course which wasn't too bad considering I was using a youth model shotgun :)  It didn't pull up right for me.  I was also wondering how I'd do left handed  :)  I was taught as a youth that when you accepted a firearm from someone the first thing you did was to check the chamber to see if it was loaded.  Now you're supposed to ask "is the chamber open, is the safety on" before taking the firearm.  That's  8) 8) 8)  I also learned that the rope used to pull up or lower a firearm or bow from a tree stand is called a "haul line".  An FAS is a "fall arrest system" used when hunting from a tree stand not a lumber grade  :)  I walked away from the class with something new  8) ;D 8) ;D :)  I passed the test too.  I got a 100%  ;) ;D  Zach and I had a really good time.  That was the best part  8) 8)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I have no idea if there is any shooting requirements with the test here. I only shoot varmits on my land. I have no lincese. I use to hunt in my early 20's,but gave it up for some reason. Nothing against it,just don't hunt. Many hunt on my land. You both did good,real good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

Used to teach hunter safety, really enjoyed the kids coming the next year or later saying ""Mr. Staples, look what I killed".  Making a difference with kids is a joy.  And the real ones were when dad, or mom, or both, took the course with their kids.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Congrats to both of you for taking it together. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

I think it helps the kids a lot to have someone with them, plus it's time together. Congrats to the both of you.

Allan

trapper

I took hunter safety with my son and stayed in class with my grandson when I took him,
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Raider Bill

At first glance I thought meadows miller was back. :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) :) :o
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Corley5

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 18, 2013, 06:55:54 AM
At first glance I thought meadows miller was back. :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) :) :o

:D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) :)

October 7th we have to be at the Sportsman's Club no later than 5:30PM.  They have a Civilian Marksmanship youth program for those 10-20 years old.  We found out about it at the Hunter Safety class and Zach wants to take it.  It runs from Oct to April Monday evening.  We have to be there and get in line extra early on the 7th because the class is limited to 32 and fills up.

DDDfarmer

Youngest son and step daughter are now signed up for the next hunting-firearms course here.  The instructor only has time to do these courses in the winter and will only take 10 students at a time, yet with his knowledge and experience I would say he is worth the wait. 

The kids have always come out with me hunting small game and geese. Sons like to plink away with their air rifles and of course target practise with the me using .22, .410 or 12 guage, both boys tried my 303 but I think the fact that they were to use the BIG GUN made them nervous. 

Get this, youngest son who is 13 put on his Christmas list a 10 guage  ??? Not afraid to try anything that one.....
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

clww

Congratulations to you two! 8) 8) ;) ;) :) :)
I used to teach the course many years ago, and will do it again when I finally retire back to the mountains.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

My first rifle was a 303. When each of my two sons turned 12 and could hunt with me, they shot their first deer with the 303. It was a sporterized British Mark X, if I remember right, and weighed hardly anything at all. But it did have open sights and a good kick.
Great memories.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Nothing like starting off on the right foot, only thing left now is some pictures of the harvest!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

Well done dad and Zach. Sounds like you had a really good time. beenthere, that brings back some memories. At 14 I learned to shoot with the military Enfield 303 bored to 22 for the indoor range. The following summer we went outdoors and were given the real thing for the first time, I had no idea what to expect. Got in the prone position, breathing correct, squeeze don't pull.... and forgot to pull it into my shoulder. :'( Only did THAT once, it hurt.
We have to take the course before getting an FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate) so we can purchase a firearm. MY bil who is qualified to instruct says parts of it are a little hokey but he has to go through the motions.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

A week ago was Zach's sign up and orientation for the Youth Civilian Marksmanship Program.  Tomorrow evening they get to shoot  8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!