iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replaced my Heatmor door seal

Started by NWP, September 17, 2013, 06:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWP

I had to replace the door seal on my Heatmor 200 after 6 seasons of use. It was fairly easy and took maybe an hour or so.  I was surprised to find that the seal is a large fireproof rope tucked into a groove and then covered with high temp silicone.   I peeled the old out and then cleaned the metal with a wire brush in my drill and sprayed some brake cleaner on it to make sure the new would adhere.  I tucked the rope in and cut it to length. Then I used almost a whole caulking gun sized tube of silicone to cover it. I smoothed the silicone flush with the edge of the groove and have been letting it dry for a couple of days before I shut the door.  After I was done I realized I probably should have taken step by step pictures to post.

On a side note, my brother in law does waterproofing work and told me to use a cup of soapy water to dip your finger in before smoothing the silicone. It keeps the silicone from sticking to your fingers and makes the job much easier. I used a disposable cup and some Dawn soap and water. Worked like a charm.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CarlR

NWP,
Mine went six years. It was leaking some by that time...  The rope and silicone sure are simple.
Carl
Deere 6410 with high tensile twine skidding emerald bored ash...

r.man

NWP, who supplied you with the specs for the replacement? My friend has a Heamore about the same age.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NWP

I ordered the kit from Heatmor. I peeled the old one out to figure out how to do the new one. I never thought to look on YouTube. The good news is it looks like I did it right.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Dusty Rhodes

Did mine as well in September, then I cleaned the mating metal door rim, chalked  with a piece of the grandkids chalk stick, then closed the door on the new cured silicone to see if I was getting even pressure all the way around.  The chalk left a white imprint into the silicone.  I  found I needed to adjust my door a little to get good contact on the new silicone seal. 

thecfarm

Dusty Rhodes,welcome to the forum. How long have you had your Heatmor? What model? I went to fill mine tonight,I have 2 blowers,I have the 54 inch one and I had the light on and I turned it off and heard the rear blower but an odd noise from the front one. Turned the light back on and tried to turn it by hand,just about would turn.Looks like I will be replacing that.

NWP

I found out that I have a couple of places that are not getting a good seal after I replaced the seal. I'm going to have to shut it down and fix it. I plan on roughing up the seal with sandpaper and applying more silicone. I'll use the chalk idea first and see if I can adjust it out.

Dusty, welcome to the FF

Dusty Rhodes

Thanks Guys for the Welcome, guess I have a small Heatmore compared to some. I have only one blower unit at the front of the model I have. It is a 200 CSS model and  I have had it in Service going on year five.  Firebox is only 36" deep but the unit does a good job of heating 1800 square foot home and my Domestic HW during the winter.  I have a separate line from the basement to heat my garage on demand with a hot water blower unit that heats that additional 800 square feet when needed.  Adjusting the main firebox door is important as I believe the reason I needed to replace my gasket and silicone seal was that it was not adjusted correctly when I first installed the unit.  Not sure how many years you can get out of the gasket but think it might have lasted a season or two longer if it would have been tweaked correctly from the git go. I replaced the bladder this year and have the door hoses also that I will replace in the next week or so.  Rather do it now, even though I have no issues, as I do not want any trouble come dead of winter.     

Dusty Rhodes

The CFarm,  I noticed your location and it brought back memories.  I lived in Caribou, Maine for 14 years back in the late 70's to early 1990. No wonder your burning already.  I have not fired my OWB up yet, the weather here in Central Pa has been mild so far, but it's turning colder this week and believe we will probably have our first frost at my place probably by the weekend.  Hope you get your blower issues solved asap. 

thecfarm

You may get a frost before me.   :D  I have not had one at the house. The lower end of the field was white the other morning. Me being on a hill helps out. Caribou weather is alot diffeant than mine. I am probably a good 4 hours from there.Another hour South is diffeant too. I went and got the blower motor tonight. When he got home he told me he had one and come over and get it. I went to fill it tonight and it's working fine. last night I could not get it to turn freely. Tonight it will turn just fine. But I know that won't last long. If I did not have family land,I would like to move to PA. You guys have a month of growing season on each end. Gets cold enough to keep the bugs down and the population. I brought a big one because I was planing on a working garage for me. I can see that is not going to happen now. Glad I have it. No need to fill it full. Looks like I will be using it for the wife's women cave.

Dusty Rhodes

Glad to hear you got a back up motor.  I went to school down in Gorham, Maine for a couple of years so know bouts where you are located.  Nice area of the State and yes your weather is not as radical as Caribou :)  Weatherman is calling for it to get to 30 F tonight so guess we will get our first frost.  What do you burn for wood in Franklin County, Maine?

thecfarm

Anything with wood in it's name.  :D  You would be shocked at what I burn. Fir,pine,cedar,very little hard wood. Most of the wood I burn is dead. I went really all last winter burning dead wood. The fir on my land does not grow good. I have a wet area that was just about all fir. If it was alive ,it was hollow in the middle. I have a bog that I want to continue to cut off. Not much of anything any good in it. We'll see how much snow we get. It's a warm bog,never freezes over I can be walking on the snow and I'll hit a hole and my foot might get wet before I can get it out of the hole. I have burned all sorts of wood,right from cut it in the morning,burn it at night,be it hard wood or softwood. Trees that are dead and standing. I have found out the dead stuff burns better than the green stuff. Summer time I have an area that I keep clean. I use the branches that fall to heat my hot water. And what ever junk I can burn.

Thank You Sponsors!