iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beaver work

Started by Mooseherder, September 16, 2013, 10:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

These trees are right by an ATV trail in Maine.  I didn't get off my machine for the picture. 
Heck, we may be the reason the one is still standing as he probably heard us coming.
Looks like it was a busy beaver.

WmFritz

The original hinge cut. :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

bama20a

That has alway's amazed me,They can cut them fast too.
The way they build a dam is also a true work of nature,Til' you try to tear it down ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

drobertson

We have them residing below my FIL's place, very destructive critters for sure, and it is amazing how they fall the timber, and build the dams,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

:-\  At times they deal me some misery.  I have had to get a professional trapper a couple of times.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

The DanG things have cut every good tree I had on the creek bank. Then they build their dens in the bank and over time they fall in, another piece of a field gone. :rifle: :rifle:
Bill

grweldon

I hear the pelts are worth quite a bit.  Maybe that's only in Alaska on "Mountain Men"!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WH_Conley

Last price I heard was $8.00, skinned, fleshed and dried. That was a couple of years ago.
Bill

WmFritz

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 17, 2013, 12:49:03 PM
Last price I heard was $8.00, skinned, fleshed and dried. That was a couple of years ago.

A winter pelt I'd think.
We have a culvert that runs under the road near the cabin. Them rascals give my neighbor fits, trying to keep it open.    fudd-smiley sling_shot
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

If I understood it right it would be about $37.00 for eastern Beaver and $31.00 for western. Winter fur. That would be a little more worth the labor involved.
Bill

RPowers

A couple years back I trapped beaver for the winters. I skinned, fleshed, and stretched the hides and shipped them to the NAfA auctions. Mine graded well, and I got from 20s-40s per hide on them. They are alot of work to skin and flesh properly, at least for my level of experience. I probably had just under 2 hours of work in each hide.

2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Al_Smith

The powers that be thought it might be a good idea to reintroduce beaver into parts of Ohio that didn't have any .They became a general nuisance.

Corley5

A few years ago a buddy and I were working and stopped at another field station.  A fellow employee was using the workshop on his own time to skin, flesh and stretch some beavers.  He was working pretty DanGed hard at it too.  I asked him what he got per pelt and when he said $5.00 my first thought was that I could find something a whole lot easier to do than that to make five bucks  ;) :D ;D :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WmFritz

Quote from: beenthere on September 17, 2013, 01:13:07 PM
Here is a link to fur prices last winter.

http://trappingtoday.com/index.php/category/fur-prices/

That's an Eye-opener! Record high prices?  Glancing through that report, I didn't see rat prices. Almost a hundred bucks for coyote and thirty-one for coon though. Too bad I'm a lousy skinner.   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

beenthere

I took a big raccoon to a neighbor coon trapper a few years back and watched in amazement as he skinned that coon. A couple nicks with his pocket knife and the right place to stand on it while he pulled the hide off. A couple minutes max.
So I poked around for a video, and the best I could come up with is this one (for skinning and a second one to follow where he scraped the fat off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To4CAgPri14
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

Looked like rats were 11, everything on there are easier to prepare than beaver, and to trap and skin three muskrats to one beaver, no comparison.

Al_Smith

We were lucky to get a buck out of muskrats when I was a kid .Of course gasoline was only 27 cents a gallon back then .Two dollars would buy you a fancy steak dinner .

SwampDonkey

I can remember when beaver pelt was worth well over $200. One August morning, headed off fishing with grandfather and we found two road kill beaver by the hydro dam. We took the beavers to grandfather's brother, who dealt with furs (skinning and stretching, selling). He stored the pelts in the freezer for sale later in the auction. They were both blanket size pelts, one fetched $200 and the other $220. And this was summer fur.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

Coyotes became so cheap my fur buyer told me to "throw 'em in the ditch", beaver were $5.00 in the whole, but castor glands were worth more if you could dry out enough for a pound. River otter was the money fur for awhile, appears otter a fair price last year; bobcat also, but have to get 'cat and  otter tagged which most time is a big hassle.

Fur prices best in north hardly worth the effort in south. If beaver would stay in their own place..but one colony we had did not bother much for years, suddenly, one summer, they began cutting all the old willows and cottonwoods. They even took to chewing on a utility pole by their lodge. I took out ten of them that winter.

Thank You Sponsors!