iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone found the perfect wood?

Started by Bigbo1234, September 16, 2013, 09:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbo1234

Just wondering all of your favorite wood? And why? White pine is starting to be my favorite. It's plentiful, cheap, big and beautifull. It cuts great. It's strong enough. And I can lift it without my back goin out. Had some 30" stuff on the mill and was like a kid at Christmas cutting into it. Every cut I got more excited to see the board.
Bowen

Dave Shepard

For my area, Eastern White Pine is the most versatile. I can use it for every part of a building, from timbers to siding to trim and molding. It works well, saws easily and is abundant and inexpensive. The only problem I have with it is it's hard to make quarter sawn white oak flooring out of it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Mine used to be walnut and cherry. The more I work with cherry the more I lose intrest in it. I am starting to favor some of the lesser known woods. Walnut will always be king in my book but following close behind are woods like sassafras, osage orange, and catalpa. I dont think I have ever seen a more stable wood that catalpa. I got a few boards from Larry and just stacked them by themselves a few months ago. Still flat as a pancake. One of these days I would like to build something out of dogwood. Its small and it moves a lot but its as hard as nails and the hearwood to sapwood contrast is beautiful.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Southern Yellow Pine.  It has to be the lifeblood of my entire region.  The uses are limitless.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_S.

White oak.
Quartersawn, I think it's beautiful for cabinet making.
It's rot resistant qualities endear it to farmers for fence boards.
It is the best option for trailer decking.
I was always able to sell all the white oak I could get my hands on back when I ran commercially.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

drobertson

Favorite?  has to be ERC, easy peasy, next is SYP, by a close red oak.  money makers are not in the factor,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

limbrat

nope there all good for something but i dont think any of them are good for everything. except maybe chinese tallow it might be perfectly good for nothing.                                         
ben

Chuck White

I like sawing "fresh cut" White Pine and Black Cherry!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpimp

My favorite is Green$$$$$ lumber !!! Hahah I swear I like to saw it all. Gonna split a deer in 2 this fall with the super ! Hahahah

redbeard

Western red Alder, blades last forever and faster sawing speed. Real money maker sawing by the BF. As a woodworker Alder is a chameleon wood you can stain it to look like cherry, walnut, and Oak.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

DaleK

Ash. Beautiful to work with, good solid lumber, great firewood. Makes good handles, wagon tongues, just about anything. Hope some survives.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Cedarman

Nothing comes close to Eastern Red Cedar.
The aroma is unbelievable.
No other wood has as much character.
The colors so variable.
The wood so stable.
Did I say I really like ERC?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

dboyt

I love eastern red cedar, also like to QS sycamore.  Like Hackberry, i enjoy the oddball stuff, like mulberry & hedge.  Crotch wood of almost any species is fun to cut, once you get it clamped down.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

grweldon

Quote from: Magicman on September 16, 2013, 09:40:31 PM
Southern Yellow Pine.  It has to be the lifeblood of my entire region.  The uses are limitless.

SYP is just about all I've sawn in the last year.  Not terribly difficult to cut, quick drying and can be very good looking.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

AdamT

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Peder McElroy

Larry

I was out on the highway this morning.  Saw one of those three wheeled motorcycles headed in for our motorcycle rally this week.  First one I've ever seen with a cedar gas tank, and the fenders over the rear wheels were cedar.

Cedarman would be pleased. :)

WDH picked the right woods walnut and cherry but he got the order wrong. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

NCDiesel

As you can see from my signature: walnut.  For the smell if nothing else.  I'm lucky the dust does not bother me like so many others.   I have not cut it on my bandmill but always enjoyed offloading it at the circular mills I have worked at.  I can't wait to saw some on my own mill.

SYP gets 2nd place.  I love the color, its usefulness around the farm and when you get the right amount of old dense growth, it is a very beautiful wood.

Popular gets honorable mention because its so straight and big (at least around here) and the color is always a surprise:  Blond? Green? Purple? All of the above?

Great thread,
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

fat olde elf

Juniperus virginiana, aka Eastern red cedar, aka aromatic cedar.  Check out Cedarman's post.  Really easy to carve....IMHO..........say your prayers.........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

hackberry jake

Someone likes the light colored woods ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ smiley_hellow_im_here
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

The perfect wood is the one that has the best combination of beauty, color, and suitability for what I want to make this time. ;D ;D ;D :o 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowfight1:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Seaman

Witchever of my slabs the next customer is ready to throw CASH at! That being said, I love opening up all types to see what lies hidden inside. Except Locust, I love the look, but hate the talcum powder it makes.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!