iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on scaling  logs

Started by Steve, January 28, 2002, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I would like to know what kind of log scaling techniques work the best in Walnut or similar logs. I am going to scale some Koa logs with the timber owner tomorrow and I need to be able to judge how his method compares to reality. I chose Walnut as its growth habit seems quite similar to Koa.

Thanks
Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Ron Wenrich

Scaling techniques are pretty much the same for all types of logs.  Measure diameter inside the bark at the small end of the log.  If the log isn't round, then average the long way with the short way.  Measure the length.  Usually to the closest even foot.

Deductions should be taken for sweep and rot.  Grade is determined by the number and location of defects.  Defect free is usually veneer quality.  Grade #1 can include a knot or two, depending on location.  Grade #2 generally needs 2 clear sides.  Grade #3 is everything else.  Of course, grade qualifications will vary from user to user.

From the diameter and the length you can determine the volume by various scales.  Most veneer buyers and may mills use the Doyle scale.  Sawed lumber will come closer to the International scale, with overrun for thin band mills.  

To get the volume,  click the toolbox icon.  There are lots of calculators there.  Look up the log volume calculator.  Put in the diameter and the length and volume will be displayed in Doyle, Scribner, and International.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

Is Koa being harvested? I thought there was some kind of moratorium.

TnAndy

Buy on Doyle......sell on International......don't mix those up and you will do well  ;)
Price, quality, service....
    Pick any two

Steve

To answer Dons question. The state of Hawaii has not sold any Koa stumpage for several years now. The first salvage sale si up for bid on the 15th of this month. Other than that there are a few privately owned ranches that occasionally sell stumpage.

Steve
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

Bud Man

Steve ===Need to think usage over scale on Walnut or Koa. Look to end user's need and maximize return !!!    From your first post on 1-29-02 tomorrow was 1-30-02  How'd you come out???
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Steve

Bud _man

The whole thing con put off. We had 12" of rain the day I was supposed to go see the timber. I'll get a chance again soon. I have milled a lot of Koa, but typically it has been sold "on the cut out". Which is to say on the volume recovered in lumber form. Pretty much a no lose deal for the buyer that way.
This ranch I'm trying to deal with wants to sell in log scale, so I have to accomodate. I always have a hunch of what I can get out a of a particular log. I don't know yet what type of log scale the ranch uses. I'll keep you posted.

Steve
Steve
www.curlykoa.com

Thank You Sponsors!