The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Went to Lumber Drying School in Alabama  (Read 13972 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Went to Lumber Drying School in Alabama
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 01:30:33 pm »
I appreciate the compliments.  No bucket, I'm just tall at 6"-4"

I don't have a layout of the operation but the goal of the optimization is to not waste time, steps or effort.  I  once counted how many times I handled a board from the log to the sales rack and it astounded me.  So now, I only handle the boards a minimum of times and try to do as much in parallel as possible.  I also cull boards at every step in the process, only the best get to the final stages.  No use wasting time and effort messing with a low grade board.
Pallets are one of the keys for making things operate efficiently, mine are exactly 4x8'feet and dead flat.  All machines allow close access for the pallets.  Boards come off the mill, get sorted, and go into pallets.  After that, they never come off until final processing.   Cutting everything to standard sizes and thicknesses is another huge timesaver.  Getting rid of waste effectively is important.
YH
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:09 pm »
Robert has standardized his lengths too so that he handles 8' 6" logs only for the kiln.  I saw the standardization as a huge plus.  Woodworkers needing hardwood for furniture or projects very rarely need a board over 8' 6" long.  Robert has catered to a specific market and developed a niche.  His species diversity is also impressive.  Not just red oak and yellow poplar. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »
Not sure how I missed this report but glad that I found it. I will have to make a ride over and see the operation one day. I will have to say that I like you set up too YH.
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 11:46:30 pm »
You or anyone's else is welcome to visit anytime.  It would be my pleasure.  I've always got steaks ready to fire up on the grill.

Kiln drying and post processing to get high quality, vibrant lumber has been the make or break step for me and is what separates my business from the rest of the field including conventional retail lumber stores.
It proves that a low tech solar kiln teamed with a basic low temp dehumidification kiln can produce such high quality lumber that people will regularly drive from hundreds of miles to buy.  I had a guy drive 250 miles just this morning.
Unfortunately, done incorrectly, I can also ruin a lot of wood real fast. Been there, done that. So as WDH saw on his visit, I've kind of settled on a process that let's me crank out lumber with a minimum of fuss and risk.

YH

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 12:42:30 am »
So YH, is this your full time occupation? I am very impressed with your setup. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:32 am »
No, he just does it in his Spare Time  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 11:40:51 am »
 :o
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 12:13:51 am »
My wife and I both have full time jobs, a couple kids, plus the cattle business, and of course the sawmill lumber business.  We stay fairly busy...and tired ;D

For us, the biggest technical risk and financial reward is the drying and processing of the boards.  It doubles or sometimes even triples the value of the lumber, so I put a lot of effort into having as fast a throughput as I can, with as high a quality a possible.  Lots of people around here have saws, almost nobody has kilns, or if they do, use them for very long before they ruin enough wood to give up on them.

I dry quite a few different species of wood native to North Alabama so tailor the best characteristics of the different drying methods to the species.  I use the more forgiving methods for the difficult species, and put the hammer to the ones that are forgiving.  Using pallets or packs of lumber instead of just loading the kiln to capacity also gives me an extra variable to control drying rate and time. I try to manipulate the load size so that the compressor in the DH kiln and even the solar kiln is always removing water at its maximum rate within the maximum safe removal rate of the particular species.
YH

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »
Nice set up you have :)
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 08:42:40 pm »
As YH has learned, drying is a much art as it is science.
I like your setup, YH.  Tired is a good state of being in this business...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 08:50:23 pm »
Robert (Woodling),

I went with your suggestion at the Pig Roast to go smaller.  I am in the later stages of building the chamber for the Nyle L53.  Robert (Milton AKA Yellowhammer) has been an invaluable resource.  I thank both of you Roberts  ;D,.

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:16 pm »
You, sir, are most welcome.  It is but a small repayment of all the sage advice you have bestowed upon me over the years.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:49:54 pm »
You, sir, are most welcome.  It is but a small repayment of all the sage advice you have bestowed upon me over the years.

Well said! smiley_thumbsup

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:54 pm »
I have been debating getting the L53 and had a question about storing your kiln dried lumber. How do you guys store your lumber that is for sale after its kiln dried. I saw the racks that YellowHammer uses, does the wood regain some moisture if its not stored in a controlled environment?
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170. Sure wish I had a kiln and a swing blade mill.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52:29 pm »
Yes, it will seek to reach equilibrium moisture content based on the relative humidity of its environment.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »
As mentioned, store it at the correct humidity, and the MC will not change.  But this can be hard to do.  There is a chapter on storage in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER at the end of the book with some practical ideas.

Here is one of the easiest ideas.  If you wrap the lumber pile or stack with plastic on all six sides, there is no way that any moisture can get in or out of the bundle, so the MC will not change.  (Repair any holes promptly.)  You can also use a tight trailer or shipping container, as again moisture influx or outflow is minimal.  If you paint the container a darker color, it will get a little solar heat which will help keep the RH a bit lower.  You can buy plastic baggies that are large enough to hold a bindle of lumber.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline Gadrock

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new! But older than many trees!
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 08:57:24 pm »
well I also went to school...today...AND I must say that YH is a great host. My time was limited and the total driving time was about 10 hours. We packed in the absolute most anyone could absorb in 3 hours I am sure.

YH's operation is a spotless dream of a showplace, second to the hospitality.

My desires to work with SYP which is contrary to the products he works with but we formulated possible operational scenarios that could fit me.

Tonight when I go to bed there will be much more "what-ifs" to cipher on. When the opportunity arrises I feel certain that YH will open up his knowledge to make a working plan for those upcoming problems.

Thank you YH for such a delightful info-opportunity. THANK YOU

David Gaddis

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »
You will have visions of sugarplums kilns in your head, tonight  :).

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 10:06:33 pm »
I appreciate your visit, the effort it took for you to drive that far, and I'm grateful you made it home safe.  I was telling my wife that I could see the gears turning in your head as you were coming up with ideas for your own operation, and that is always a great thing.  I am glad I was able to help a little.
YH

Offline Too Big To Fail

• I'm new!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 07:32:37 am »
nice operation YH-
I'm interested to hear more about what went into your decision to only dry to 8'6".  It sure seems like it must simplify things.  Do you also only mill material to 8'6, or do you market longer material air dried only or what?  Do you get many requests for longer material?  thanks!