iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husq 353, need help resetting L/H screws (SOLVED)

Started by jimbarry, September 14, 2013, 08:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

Some back story:

I've had this saw for some time now. I had the local shop replace the fuel tank (cracked handle). Brought the saw home to block up some 2 yr old maple and birch and it was sluggish. Like it would bog down. Definitely not like I remember it performing. When I was in town again the repair shop said I should change places where I buy my gas, that there was only one they used. So, I took my 5gal tank, put in oil for a 50:1 mix and bought the gas.

Came home and blocked more wood, burned through two tanks of gas but still sluggish. The only thing I noticed was that just when it was about to run out of gas the engine would rev high and cut well (like I remembered it would). It got me thinking that maybe the engine was tuned too rich and with the bit of air in the tank, it was getting leaner? Just a guess, don't laugh :)

I pulled out the manual and reread the L/H (and T) screw settings and how to fine tune. I turned both the L and H 1/4 turn clockwise. The saw was running great. I happily spent the rest of the day burning through 4 for tanks of gas. What a pleasure to work when it running right.

We come to today. This morning I started up the saw and couldn't get it to run consistently. It would sputter, then as soon as I pressed the throttle, it would die. PLayed with the L/H to the point where its basically messed up and it will not start at all.

Now there has to be some sort of factory setting. I read elsewhere but not sure if it applies to Husq, like turn the screws clockwise all the way in, then turn out (counterclockwise) 3=1/2 on the L and 1-/2 on the H. That would be starting point to fine tuning.

I have not tried that yet, wanted to check with you gurus first.  help_me

skeetsman

the factory setting is one full turn for both the L and H.  Final adj of L involves turning the needle both clockwise and counterclockwise. the rpms will drop off in each direction, the middle is where you need to be. the H adjustment turn counterclockwise till engine begins to four cycle, final adj is when four cycle stops when you enter the cut. adj idle so that chain doesnt rotate at idle speed
cs8000, 702evl, 365sp, 32 ton splitter 350husk, cs6700

AdkStihl

With the limiter tabs removed, a good starting point is 1.25 turns out from lightly seated on both the high and low.
J.Miller Photography

jimbarry

Thanks. I'll go try that right now.

I doubt any mods were done (limiter tab) so I'll say that's still in place.

jimbarry

So I tried one full turn out form seated position. Nothing. Pulled ten times with choke open.

From cold start and choke open, normally it would chug at 3-5 pulls. Then close the choke and it would start by the 3rd pull. That's how its always started for me.

So I also (for the hell of it) did 2 turns from seated. Even 3 and 4 full turns. Nothing.

Any other ideas?

jimbarry

FIXED!  :)

I made one minor adjustment...

I put gas in it.  :P  Violin_smiley

Yes, I admit to stupid stuff.

AdkStihl

Quote from: jimbarry on September 15, 2013, 08:58:35 AM
FIXED!  :)

I made one minor adjustment...

I put gas in it.  :P  Violin_smiley

Yes, I admit to stupid stuff.

:)    :D

So where did you carb settings end up at?
J.Miller Photography

1270d

At least you hadn't filled the gas tank with bar oil.  I've heard it can happen;-)

thecfarm

I have done the gas and oil thing before.  ::)  But have not for quite sometime. I try to do the gas first.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jimbarry

I used to open both and fill them. Up until one time I filled them and then turned the saw upright to file the chain... forgot to put the caps on.

As for the settings, I started out one full turn from seated for L and H. It would not stay idle until I played with the T. I did not reset it at the time, just turned it one way and then the other until the saw was running good. Have burned a couple tanks this morning and the saw is just fine.

Its the operator that needs adjustment. :)

sawguy21

Yeah, I have had gas and/or bar oil running down my pant leg too. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!