iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain/Load binders - which is better?

Started by Ljohnsaw, September 14, 2013, 02:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

It's looking like I should pick up a pair of chain/load binders (which name should I use?) to hold a pile of rebar on my trailer as I get ready to start my foundation.  Which is better, the lever type or the ratchet/screw type?

Thought?

Thanks!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gwilson

The screw type allows one to get objects without flex (ie. rubber tires) the tightest, but can also be slow and cumbersome. They are safer than the lever ones because the chance of them coming loose and hitting you is much less. I personally tend to stick to the lever type just because they are faster. If you are hauling  loose rebar I would suggest a couple 2" ratchet straps, but that's just me.

Ljohnsaw

I was thinking the same - lever are faster.  I didn't think ratchet straps would work - figured they would get frayed and tear/break.  I only have some heavy(ier) 1" straps and lots of chain so I went down the binder route.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DaleK

2" straps with cardboard under the straps.
Anytime I ever picked up large amounts of rebar they bundled it for me with metal straps before they loaded it.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

bama20a

I haul ALOT of rebar,I'll agree the rachet binders are better & safer,But as gwilson said they are cumbersome until you get use to them.
I use the the 2" straps though.One word of caution,After you travel afew mile you will need to stop & Check them for they will work loose. Mark,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

ABTS

All real good ways to go all a matter of opinion ratchet binders less work snap binders can hurt you and a lot more effort so pick you poison.

jdonovan

I keep both in my trailers chain box.

I like the ratchet style for things that are rigid. Like tie down points on tracked equipment that doesn't shift as your binding the load.

The rubber tire equipment tends to shift a bit, and I like lever binders there as you might need to re-tighten after all 4 corners are done. The levers are much easier to do that with. Just make sure to wrap something around the handle to keep it from popping open as you go down the road.

EricR

Here in Massachusetts its rumored that the lever type is not legal anymore, although I know a lot of people that use them and have never heard of anyone getting busted for them.

ga jones

When I drove truck for a flat bed co. In the late 90s. They recommend lever binders. Ratchet binders stretch chain. Taking away tensile strength. Straps are stronger than chains but not for abrasive material.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Ljohnsaw

Thank you all for your insights.  Very helpful and things I never really thought about.  I found one nice old ratchet binder on CraigsList and picked that one up.  I'll have to be careful not to tighten too much!  I've seen the lever ones in use and they seem a little dangerous if you are not real careful.

Speaking of rebar, I need a bunch.  I'm wondering what it weighs for #4 and #5 20' lengths.  My plans call for 1,400' (70 sticks) of #4 and 2,800' (140 sticks) of #5 (all type 60).  I'm redoing my axle on my trailer to go up from 1,500lb to 3,500lb rating.  Can I haul all of that in one go?  Didn't really want to put that much up high on my truck rack.  I had 700-800lb of steel up there and it was an interesting short ride home :o  I've got to go 60 miles up into the mountains with this load and don't want to have any mishaps!
John Sawicky

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

beenthere,

Thanks for the chart.  Ouch! I'm looking at just under 3,900 lbs of steel! :o  Looks like two trips for me unless I put a good chunk on my truck rack (~500+lbs).  My Tundra will get a workout going up 6,000' in 60 miles.  Doesn't sound too bad but 2/3 of the elevation is in the last 30 miles with a few really steep grades!
John Sawicky

jdonovan

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 15, 2013, 02:38:35 AM.  Looks like two trips for me unless I put a good chunk on my truck rack (~500+lbs). 

multiple trips is a better choice than on your side in a ditch.  >:(

Jemclimber

Quote from: EricR on September 14, 2013, 04:48:48 PM
Here in Massachusetts its rumored that the lever type is not legal anymore, although I know a lot of people that use them and have never heard of anyone getting busted for them.

Call your DOT office and ask.  Don't forget to ask who you are speaking with and ask specifics about weight being secured and the type of load whether it 's machinery or merchandise.  It's better to have the knowledge and rules beforehand as DOT laws aren't forgiving due to ignorance of the law.

That's a lot of rebar with a steep climb!  Drive safe!
lt15

Ljohnsaw

Thanks all.  I think I scored good today. 

I'm going to need a rebar cutter/bender since I will have a LOT to do with some fancy 180° bends around the openings in the foundation block.  I was looking on CraigsList and the heavy duty ones run $250-400 :o locally.  One was listed for $60 up in Reno (2 hr drive). 

Halfway is my cabin site so I stopped and dumped 10gal of diesel in my SkyTrak tank with some stabilizer for the winter and checked the transmission oil level (very low).  Got up to the guys place and he had a pile o' stuff to get rid of.  I got an aluminum truck box (not real heavy duty but clean/dent-free) to mount either on my ATV trailer or my log arch (maybe make it transferable), the rebar tool (Willard) with a really nice handle/bar that should never bend in use, a rock hammer made in the USA (for a gift) and a lever action load binder (Lufkin Texas) - all for $100!  I wish there was more I could have used of his stuff!! :D

Picked up another 10 gallons of diesel to top off my SkyTrak tank and 5 gallons of HD tractor transmission oil (cheaper than 3 separate gallons) at NAPA and serviced my lift on my way home.

My next need is an old loader bucket to fit on my SkyTrak so I can move gravel and dirt around during my foundation work.  Come on CraigsList! 8)
John Sawicky

jmouton

I  use the  ratchet  chain binder  my loads almost never come undone  or loose  and I haul  bobcats to backhoes  and  logs ,    and they are legal in all 50 states  not sure about  the other  kind  ,plus if you use the other ones  tou have to use a pipe to bind them , and hope that the pipe  doesnt smack u  in the arm,face , or anywhere else it would hurt,    so get the ratchet  kind  ,  i've got over 25 years  of knowledge  driving me

thats           my 2 cents worth   

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Al_Smith

I most generally use a piece of pipe to break over a lever binder and use a safety wire in case it snaps open .You need to be carefull because they can hurt you .

Now rebar my favorite story .At the end of a big job,Honda engne plant,Anna Ohio  I bought enough 3/4" rebar to do my shop which is 60 by 70 spaced 12 inchs apart .40 whole dollars for the  lot . ;D

beenthere

Quote.40 whole dollars for the  lot

Forty cents is pretty cheap. Did you round it up to 1 buck?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Figure your fuel, wear and tear, and a possible loss of control x 2 trips. You might be a lot better off getting it delivered.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

I use ratchets. Heard the over center type are illegal as well. I don't believe the ratchets will stretch chain. Both styles will achieve a great deal of tension on the chain, if it's stretching, it's probably not the right grade.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

I agree with the stretch issue. Use grade 70 or better. The tip about readjusting the straps after a few miles goes for chains and binders as well. I have the lever type but have to say, I prefer the ratchet ones.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sparky

My neighbor is a commercial vehicle inspector for MN DOT. I asked several months ago about the status of over-center load binders. He said they are considered illegal. He gave me a copy of federal DOT regs and showed me the reference. I don't have it handy at the moment or I would provide the details.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Thank You Sponsors!